Show Of Hands December 7th, 2012 12:00am

George Zimmerman has filed a defamation lawsuit against NBC for editing and airing a recording of his 911 call in a way that made him appear to be clearly racist. Pick a side.

cheef Long Island, New York
12/13/12 7:50 pm

A murder is a murder. Out of anger, racism, whatever, it's a murder. Why must the media make it into a racial problem? MSNBC sucks and I almost feel bad for Zimmerman in this case ( not saying he's guilty or not guilty, either)

shefjr New York
12/13/12 7:43 am

NBC was wrong. They know they were wrong and additionally they fired the guy who did it. This is what all media does though. Sensationalize a story to make it more interesting and get people talking.

rastamonsta
12/12/12 11:03 pm

True. But they didn't edit at all what he said. They simply left out the dispatcher. Regardless, it was wrong, but in no way was Zimmerman's audio skewed.

tdubbs12
12/12/12 8:26 pm

Whoever thinks this was not edited is kind of wrong. Actually is wrong. Taking words out of context towards a private person to manipulate public = defamation fact.

rastamonsta
12/12/12 1:56 pm

Didn't LIE, it was more like poor editing.

rastamonsta
12/12/12 1:53 pm

They attacked each other. The question isn't whether or not trayvon attacked him, it is who attacked first. I don't think you know what your talking about. Because NBCs Lack of professionalism did very little to sway public opinion. They simply left out the dispatchers questions. They technically

rastamonsta
12/12/12 1:51 pm

So is republican ignorance.
You should get yourself checked out.

cowboy Dawns Highway
12/12/12 11:53 am

I don't think you know the case at all Rasta. Trayvon attacked Zimmerman. That's why NBC and ABC blatantly lied. Get your facts straight.

cowboy Dawns Highway
12/12/12 11:48 am

Liberalism is a mental disorder. There is no known cure.

operaista Florida
12/10/12 7:34 am

It's funny how--for almost EVERY poll on this app--you can accurately guess which way democrats will vote. Even on some of the non-political polls.

_Facepalm_

Is there a medication for the Democrat voter mindset?

SugarShaq
12/09/12 10:35 pm

They call Zimmerman a white Hispanic, does this make Obama a white African American?

flobotscott88
12/09/12 1:52 pm

I'm a very strong democrat liberal who chose Zimmerman not NBC.

rons Thanks America
12/09/12 9:16 am

NBC knew what they were doing. They fired the editor after it us uncovered. Millions heard and believed their lie!

flyberg Northern Kentucky
12/09/12 6:38 am

If you wanted to say you were Hispanic, you were supposed to tick "white" and "Hispanic origin," or if you thought the whole thing was dumb, other and then write in Hispanic.

flyberg Northern Kentucky
12/09/12 6:36 am

To people pointing out the "white Hispanic" bit like it'a an attempt to make it a white/black thing: for the census, "Hispanic" was removed as a race since people of Hispanic origin still ultimately descend from Western Europe. News papers are following the same guideline probably.

DCA
12/09/12 5:18 am

1-That comment is completely idiotic

2-Criticizing and pointing out fraud/wrongdoing is the government is the job of the media, ever heard of the term "media watchdog"? Fox News is also not the only one who has criticized government (remember Bush). It is another thing to attack a public citizen.

glitzygirl Wisconsin
12/08/12 11:01 pm

Your comment is idiotic. Use your own mind and stop blathering lib talking points.

SugarShaq
12/08/12 10:08 pm

Why does the teen have a right to defend himself and Zimmerman does not?

elcejitas1 California
12/08/12 6:08 pm

Fox News does this all the time... So can The White House Being a lawsuit Against Fox News as well??

BaldGuy33 Texas
12/08/12 5:11 pm

Sure the clip made him sound like a bad guy. It made him sound racist (like he was looking for a kid of a certain race) when, in fact, he helped tutor kids of ALL races. NBC is the ULTIMATE in slimy for passing that off as "journalism"

rastamonsta
12/08/12 3:02 pm

No one knows who threw the first punch. There were two men involved, one is dead. So of course Zimmerman is going to say Trayvon started, justifying his actions. I don't know who did, but assuming either one did is unfair.

rastamonsta
12/08/12 2:59 pm

Zimmerman's decision. So both are wrong in my eyes. But I went with Zimmerman for this poll because the question is in regards to NBCs actions, not the murder itself.

rastamonsta
12/08/12 2:57 pm

Not a questionable background, he WAS in fact not a great kid. But the day he was murdered, he had been doing nothing wrong. He was temporarily staying in that community. I'm sure he didn't expect a wannabe cop to attack him for "looking suspicious". I can't justify or agree with both NBC's edit or

rastamonsta
12/08/12 2:52 pm

The clip that was played didn't make him seem like a bad guy at all. While I think he is a bully, the audio did little to "ruin his reputation". Its like running over someone and then getting upset because they scratched your car.
NBC was wrong but... Defamation? He brought that upon himself.

rastamonsta
12/08/12 2:50 pm

Technically, they didnt edit what he said. They only kept out dispatcher's statements. While it is wrong, the audio is played in order only with the questions he was being asked omitted

Terrence88
12/08/12 1:33 pm

I know he probably isn't as bad a person as the media tried to paint him, but he he still killed an unarmed
kid.

Terrence88
12/08/12 1:31 pm

He was still instructed to let the law enforcement deal with it. Why did he even call the police in the first place
if he was just going to take matters into his hands.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
12/08/12 11:55 am

Or, even if not intentional, has had or will have a serious negative impact on the plaintiff.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
12/08/12 11:54 am

Defamation of character by libel or slander is not legal. The point of a civil case will be to prove that the damage was intentional.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
12/08/12 11:52 am

And if my city riots, my gun will be loaded and close, along with my family.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
12/08/12 11:50 am

Who attacked him first. If the kid hadn't thrown the first punch, he'd likely still be alive today.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
12/08/12 11:49 am

If the kid was unarmed, then why was Zimmerman getting the piss beat out of him when he shot the attacker? Fists can be weapons too.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
12/08/12 11:47 am

I agree. Report the events of the day as unbiased as possible, and leave the opinion-forming to the viewers.
Maybe that way we'd get to hear some good news as well, instead of the same old bad crap repeated 50 times per day.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
12/08/12 11:45 am

He shot someone who had a questionable background, was on drugs, and had no known reason to be wandering around the neighborhood, only after the individual attacked him first. I probably would've done the same if someone was beating the piss out of me.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
12/08/12 11:42 am

I can agree with the truth no matter who speaks it.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
12/08/12 11:41 am

The point is that they (apparently) intentionally edited it to make him seem like the bad guy. That is not journalism. A free media exists to promote journalism and the pursuit of the truth. If they knowingly, intentionally defamed him, then they are civilly liable for the damage to his reputation.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
12/08/12 11:37 am

Hmm, CCW holder or anti-gun media? Side with the CCW holder, and 99 times out of 100 you'll be right.

Loadmaster Sacto
12/08/12 11:06 am

You pick to ignore facts

Loadmaster Sacto
12/08/12 11:06 am

Karma doesn't give NBC the right to edit what he says for ratings.

BAL North Carolina
12/08/12 10:51 am

I'm sure the 52% of dems that chose NBC's side would change their vote if they were in Zimmerman's shoes.

gonzoboy Arizona
12/08/12 9:57 am

@lisalashe, your comment is unfortunate, as it exposes a clear bias you seem to be trapped in. It's also wrong, as no one has yet been convicted of murder, except by you.

BriD Illinois
12/08/12 9:56 am

He's a clown who got his karma. Boo hoo!

BriD Illinois
12/08/12 9:54 am

Glitzy - still bitter about the election results?? Lol

BriD Illinois
12/08/12 9:53 am

Ha! Then Fox "news" would be shut down...!