Show Of Hands June 14th, 2012 12:00am

Should the government ban the sale of some unhealthy foods outright?

kandykane California
06/22/12 1:52 am

While I am all for combating the obesity epidemic, I don't think this is the way to go at all.

kvatha40
06/21/12 8:16 am

Tell govt stop butting in our lives

06/20/12 12:54 pm

Now where would we be without sugary & fattening foods? Hahaha :)

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
06/18/12 6:30 am

...which is where the govt needs to step in because the FDA= garbage, the USDA= not helpful, they need to be restructured to work more efficiently to help the American public.

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
06/18/12 6:29 am

@gracie: And it's in everything!! It's so ridiculous. And @whoever said the capitalism thing, this is the result; competition lowers prices until they need a new alternative that's even cheaper and this is what you get. You get products that are artificial because it's cheaper than the real thing...

06/17/12 6:50 pm

P. S. I'm not a man, and I tend to base my opinions on factual case studies done by independent researchers and NOT on paid advertisements on television paid for by a corn growers association (who greatly profit from the genetically modified goo).

06/17/12 6:46 pm

@Phil - Actually, not only has HFCS been linked to obesity by the researchers at Princeton, it has shown connection to function failure in several vital organs in the body. But, then again, you would know that if you bothered to do YOUR research instead of wasting time thinking of vulgar put downs.

me123
06/17/12 1:13 pm

Sure it could make America healthier but it's not the governments place to control what people eat.

ClecoLvr
06/17/12 8:09 am

Grocker, nice support of your spouse. What an ahole.

tardis! Colorado
06/16/12 9:05 pm

one word: capitalism! it works!

FakeSound Arizona
06/16/12 8:22 pm

Lol, what kind of question is this? If anything, it should require companies to list the types of sugars in their foods.

06/16/12 9:15 am

Blah blah blah, yap yap yap, you people!

philmchawk Gaia Agia
06/16/12 8:36 am

High fructose corn syrup is NOT a harmful additive. MSG, sure. Please do at least a little research before you spout off with horse s#it man, damn. It's loons like you who cause sensationalist reactions to nothing.

schlogg
06/16/12 8:09 am

It's not the governments job to watch what everyone eats.. It's the person's own responsibility. That would also be way too much involvement on the gov's part.

06/16/12 8:05 am

A better solution would be to outlaw harmful additives like High Fructose Corn Syrup, MSG, etc. instead of letting big corporations line pockets to promote their garbage.

Food for thought: Most of those dyes used in our food (Red, Yellow, Blue Lake, etc.) are actually made from crushed bugs. Enjoy!

nicoolio Oregon
06/16/12 1:33 am

If you have a problem with it, don't eat it! It's as simple as that! Why do we need laws to control what people want to do with their lives?! Regardless of all that, you can drink a big gulp every once in awhile and not being unhealthy...

kaik12 Twin Cities, MN
06/16/12 1:28 am

I don't they they should ban the sale of unhealthy foods. If they were todo it though, I would think banning the production rather than the sale of the food would make more sense.

O13 Alabama
06/15/12 11:33 pm

I don't know whats worse; The fact that our govt is actively trying to erode our rights and liberties. Or the fact that, not only do the masses willfully march like lambs to the slaughter, but demand the butcher sharpen his instrument of death... all the while complaining that the line is too slow.

gramps
06/15/12 9:57 pm

I look good the way I am! Ha ha

PetePuma Oregon
06/15/12 9:56 pm

Dangerous, yes. Unhealthy, no.

elbow82 Veganland
06/15/12 9:39 pm

Hm, as a vegan, I'd like to see neat outlawed, but I know that's not realistic!

I think the government should stop subsidizing unhealthy foods and start subsidizing healthy ones.

06/15/12 9:32 pm

Why don't we take the focus off of unhealthy foods, and instead focus more on unhealthy, harmful, or otherwise controversial ingredients? It shouldn't be such a hassle to find foods like BREAD that don't have high fructose corn syrup in them.

psycho44
06/15/12 8:12 pm

@grocker is your first name betty . lol

psycho44
06/15/12 8:10 pm

okay im gonna give in let the govt ban aspartame.

lawstudent Western NC foothills
06/15/12 7:48 pm

I saw someone on here say that if something is edible then it is food. Umm... No. Dirt is edible. Paper is edible. People with the Pica disorder have taught us lots of things are edible. The ability to stuff it in your mouth and...well...you know what comes after digestion...doesn't make it food. ;)

lawstudent Western NC foothills
06/15/12 7:45 pm

@praetorian :) yep!! I've found gelatin-free gummi bears! Had to search, but I saw them at a health food store near me a few months back.

06/15/12 6:28 pm

if the government has to ban freaking food, americans are pathetic. its honestly not that hard to say "no" to some ice cream. they can eat a freaking salad, simple as that

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
06/15/12 5:32 pm

@grocker: I wish all overweight people were like your spouse. It would really make things so much easier.

Grocker
06/15/12 5:12 pm

This is kind of like when my spouse was struggling with weight, and would order me not to bring ice cream into the house. I said, no way, learn some stinkin' self control, and don't eat my ice cream, and stop blaming me for your own issues. Spouse is thinner now, and I still have ice cream.

JimmyRustles
06/15/12 5:06 pm

When the government has to control what you eat, and people are blaming schools and restaurants because they are fat, you know society has gone down the toilet

adalla Virginia
06/15/12 3:09 pm

We're all gonna be pretty skinny in about 10 years if we don't fix our govt's spending addiction.

lmurder MDK
06/15/12 2:38 pm

The government should shut the fuck up on social issues like what we intake.
They feed us their pills, Jesus juice and tobacco.

jagger
06/15/12 2:31 pm

the sad part is many Americans can't keep themselves healthy and their health cost cause all of our premiums to go up. some people are just to stupid for their own good

jcn317 Indiana
06/15/12 2:07 pm

Yes let them ban foods that are bad for you, it just saying that you need them to make your decisions and run your life cause you are mentally incompetent to be in control of your own life, before your know it they will do curfews and housing will be in little camps with cute bad wires in the front.

Kommandant Indiana
06/15/12 1:59 pm

I has bigger kings new bacon ice cream sundae. Awesome. I'm sure that should be outlawed too

optimist6 Fort Wayne, IN
06/15/12 1:28 pm

What next? The gov. Tells us what to wear, where to go, or what to eat? Wait, they ARE trying to restrict the food we eat!

blutuesday California
06/15/12 1:22 pm

Check the 6/18/12 New Yorker magazine cover by O. Smith. Nice send-up of Bloomberg's "big soda ban" idea.

cowboy Here and There
06/15/12 1:15 pm

The Communists, like Michelle Obama sure are trying, aren't they?

Zod Above Pugetropolis
06/15/12 1:12 pm

BeachStUSA I understand the argument, but I don't think there is a causal link. High cholesterol, for example, indicates an elevated risk for heart disease, but does not appear to cause it. Specifically though, I don't believe there are any foods that make people obese, it's behavioral.

BigUgly Texas
06/15/12 12:53 pm

It's funny how critical and bitter the left is when it comes to Christian principles spilling out into society yet all the left does is regulate, ban and mandate. Liberals want to take their choices away and let the government decide. How is that not resemble religion?

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
06/15/12 12:52 pm

@Zod: It's not being fat that necessarily costing us money, it's what comes with being fat; diabetes, heart disease, cancers, other diseases, Colin cancer, prostate cancer, being obese increases your risk of almost everything.

okkc35 Kansas
06/15/12 12:40 pm

@Zello I understand that and I see your point. Taking one liberty at a time did cross my mind, but this is not a liberty I'd be fighting to the death for. The idea is taking steps for a healthier America. When they start taking rights that are more significant, I'd protest.

DamageInc California
06/15/12 11:17 am

Government should ban idiotic proposals and idiotic politicians. Oh, that would eliminate all they do and there would almost be no one left. But that would probably be a good thing.