Show Of Hands January 22nd, 2013 12:00am

Medical diagnoses of ADHD in kids have increased by almost 25% in the last decade. Do you think most of that increase is legitimate, or that ADHD is being over-diagnosed?

KisaraDoll California
01/29/13 4:53 am

That's absolutely true. Speaking from experience, people with ADHD are the opposite of speedy when medicated. They can sit still, take a nap, or any of a million other things that are hard when, unmedicated, you feel like the Tasmanian Devil is whirling through your mind at 100 miles an hour.

Bob6907
01/28/13 7:00 pm

I grew up with ADHD 30-40 year ago when we just we were just lazy obnoxious bad kids. I think today it is more about drugging them into obedience then channeling their energy and intelligence. And while we're drugging the ADHD kids lets sedate the rest of independent trouble makers.

lostland
01/28/13 3:47 pm

It is the food all the artificial colors and additives! The body can only handle so much bad chemicals! We are killing ourselves and our children with what we put in our food then we take drugs to mask and over power the signals our bodies are sending out to tell us we are poisoning it!

msSmith84
01/27/13 11:05 pm

busy to take the kid to the park or get them into sports. there are steps to take that should be mandatory before diagnosing & drugging a child.

msSmith84
01/27/13 11:03 pm

when a parent brings a child in because they think the kid has ADHD the dr is only seeing what is in front of them. there are other factors that contribute to the way a child acts such as neglect, unstable home and/or schedule, & those who don't get to run any energy off because the parents are too

mbracedfrnce
01/27/13 2:20 pm

The trickle down effects of modern technology have to play a factor here. Maybe ADHD is the only known label for a broader condition thriving minds of all ages can fall susceptible with dif degrees of effect. 24/7 accessibility lends to infinite distraction disruption confused expectation/priority

greghmn
01/27/13 2:00 pm

It was previously under diagnosed. I definitely have it.

mbracedfrnce
01/27/13 1:50 pm

IMHO overstimulation in "life" today- Web, mobiles (24/7 accessibility) evolv technology =more opportunities for distraction, disruption, confused focus. Change in communication & expectation has us all in "hyperactive" mode. Energetic minds ALL ages susceptible to

Saramoni
01/27/13 12:18 pm

My husband was diagnosed with ADHD at the age of 48. This disorder has been around a long time. I believe that increased diagnoses is due to better information and increased research.

BladeNut MA
01/26/13 9:43 pm

i know for a fact that alot of it is bullshit. ive known a few people that fake the symptoms just to get an IEP and get more time on tests. if you can fake it and they dont know, its bs.

juseaus
01/26/13 9:06 pm

My son suffers from ADHD & Tourette's. I believe it's increased awareness.

missyf South Carolina
01/26/13 8:38 pm

Vaccines and the current vaccine schedule. I believe vaccinating an hours old newborn against a disease that is primarily passed through sexual intercourse and dirty needles can have profound effects and lead to an upsurge in MANY disorders.

squish
01/26/13 6:55 pm

That's a ridiculous statement. No school can drug a child without parent involvement.

meganinfl
01/25/13 2:33 pm

My son has Asperger's and ADHD. I believe it is just an increased awareness leading to more diagnoses.

leary Dulag Luft
01/25/13 11:56 am

85% believe Doctors are lying, misdiagnosing or ...?

Lookabunny Tyvvm for following me
01/25/13 12:25 am

Your name name says it all, as does mine.

Lookabunny Tyvvm for following me
01/25/13 12:22 am

Be thankful you don't have any of those maladies. Use some of your weed money to educate yourself before spewing igmo (ignorant-moronic) nonsense.
Enjoy your bowl though.

jtsea
01/25/13 12:19 am

Wrong question. The question that some folks who commented below should answer is "Do you understand what ADHD is and how it effects the brain?" If you don't know then shut up and Google it. There has been a ton of good research on ADHD that would help you learn what you obviously don't understand.

Lookabunny Tyvvm for following me
01/25/13 12:17 am

Adalla, you are officially my hero!

Lookabunny Tyvvm for following me
01/25/13 12:14 am

Yes, there are people who fein illnesses to get meds to get high or to sell. Those people make it hard on those who indeed do have debilitating illnesses.
Don't ever, ever give up. When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on. Your miracle could be coming.

Lookabunny Tyvvm for following me
01/25/13 12:09 am

Educate yourself before you judge. It IS a true illness and it SEEMS to be "over diagnosed" because of progress in medical sciences. Those of you who know you really have it don't listen to the ignorant masses. Do what you must to survive and be happy.
Yes, there are docs who misdiagnose illnesses.

drheadman Nowhere in Particular...
01/24/13 11:56 pm

The meds don't always help. I have seen a few cases where the meds actually made the children more "hyperactive." Other times, I have seen children turn into zombies. I only prescribe these meds as a last resort, after all other avenues have been exhausted...

drheadman Nowhere in Particular...
01/24/13 11:50 pm

You don't have to have ADHD for the mess to affect you. Taking any medications can still have varying effects on a body regardless of illness or health. ADHD meds in particular can dramatically alter a person.

jtsea
01/24/13 11:43 pm

Sometimes people who don't know what they are talking about talk anyway. ADHD is a disabling condition that effects the person with the disability as well as the entire family. Parenting a child who has ADHD can be difficult and frustrating. Judgmental comments are not harmless just ignorant.

jtsea
01/24/13 11:29 pm

Kids can be hyper that's for sure but ADHD isn't just about being hyper. Kids with ADHD also crash during the school day. Their energy levels cycle, just like with everyone but for the ADHD kid those cycles are much more pronounced.

8455 Missouri
01/24/13 11:24 pm

Ritalin does long term damage to kidneys and other long term problems. Rather than having proper school staffing they just choose to drug them out.

jtsea
01/24/13 11:22 pm

Money is a huge motivator isn't it, and it plays a part in every aspect of our society. But your comment isn't accurate because the meds don't work if you don't have ADHD. If you have ADHD the meds help you concentrate, evens out your energy, and helps you control your impulsivity.

jtsea
01/24/13 11:00 pm

While ADHD meds like Ritalin and Concerta are methylphenidate and will affect someone without ADHD like caffeine or an energy drink, they do not act like 'speed' when a person with the disability takes it.

mykaylaj
01/24/13 9:31 pm

I think it's over diagnosed, My doctor tried to say I had it just because I don't like sitting down and I'm active. Your body isn't designed to sit down for long periods of time, excuse me if I want to move around -_-

mklinsao
01/24/13 5:59 pm

I was diagnosed with ADD when I was 11, but my mom insists that it 'turned into ADHD.' Sigh, mother logic.... I'm a 17-year-old girl, and it's clear that I have ADD. I have above average intelligence (135 IQ, 2120 SAT score), but my organization and time management are awful.

gradsmart Boston, MA
01/24/13 5:29 pm

Legit due to increasingly processed food!

sweetlyem23 Middle of Nowhere, Ohio
01/24/13 7:19 am

I'm 14. I'm used to kids telling me that they have it when they really don't... girls use ADHD as an excuse to be annoying little b*tches.

Melon No Ducklips
01/24/13 5:41 am

Oh yes, I did read your "multi-post".
Must have been one hell of an experience. Ok im exhausted... ;)

krokodildundee
01/24/13 3:59 am

Been prescribed and offered speed by doctors too many times now. This sh** needs to stop!

jamjay Atlanta, Ga
01/24/13 3:58 am

When I was young we called it being a kid.

susanr Colorado
01/23/13 10:54 pm

Thanks, whoami - and Adaala. It seemed like way more than a few people to me, otherwise I don't think my head would have exploded like it did. But I'm not going to go back & analyze the numbers. I think I'll go have a drink or something, though.

susanr Colorado
01/23/13 10:07 pm

I'll throw in another "experience," Melon. It wasn't my firsrt-person experience (OK, that two of 'em), but my brother's.

Titothedog Texas
01/23/13 9:13 pm

Kids taking amphetamine's prescribed by a doctor, no problem. Adult's taking THC prescribed by mother earth, go to jail. Definition of asinine!

ScrewU Gone
01/23/13 5:59 pm

Entirely wrong. Over-stimulation doesn't cause it, and doctors don't diagnose it without objective tests (like TOVA).

ScrewU Gone
01/23/13 5:56 pm

You can't "parent" a kid out of ADD any more than you can parent them out of blindness. It's a medical condition. You CAN spoil them because its a lot harder to discipline a kid with a disability. You CAN help a kid with ADD by giving them structure and stability, or fail to.

ScrewU Gone
01/23/13 5:52 pm

So common. Learned I had it as an adult when my son was diagnosed. It IS hereditary. Luckily we understand it a lot better now.

ScrewU Gone
01/23/13 5:49 pm

ADD is not a psychological disorder, and its not treated with psych meds.

Keep talking out of your ignorant ass though.

ScrewU Gone
01/23/13 5:47 pm

Bullshit.

ScrewU Gone
01/23/13 5:45 pm

You were misdiagnosed. Happens all the time, in most areas of medicine.

Medicine is mostly trial and error. Many times the only certainty comes after trying a med that doesn't work.

robolds Initiative
01/23/13 5:45 pm

Understand. i now have three masters degrees. I saw the same issues with my son. I hope the medication helps him so he does not have to go through the years of misunderstanding I did in HS and college. And trust me, my wife is NOT a lazy parent! I hope this helps my son. He is a good boy.

ScrewU Gone
01/23/13 5:43 pm

Bullshit.

ScrewU Gone
01/23/13 5:42 pm

Thad I was self-medicating with soda long before anyone knew what ADD was. You have a friend that drinks Pepsi straight from a 2 liter bottle? They had ADD. Guarantee.

robolds Initiative
01/23/13 5:42 pm

My son was diagnosed with ADD just today. I grew up trying to figure out why I could not understand as quickly as the other kids. It always seemed so easy for the others. I never got help, almost flunked out if HS. I did college. After two years sitting out, I went back and taught myself how to ...