Show Of Hands January 22nd, 2013 12:00am

Do you believe that Earth and the life on it came into existence through purely natural means, or with help from a supernatural Creator?

tdaddy diversity
01/28/13 10:22 pm

Persuader, I googled KJV and robots and did not get a hit. When I googled these: "old testament" AND abortion, "new testament" AND abortion, "old testament" OR "new testament" AND "birth control" no hits. Maybe folks just make up this "God says" stuff as they go along and it's all false.

travmg
01/28/13 10:20 pm

TD- I would tell them that I would pray for them, although I wouldn't really, it makes them feel better. You could say it's like giving a blind man a stack of papers and telling him it's $1000... It has value only to him because I made it have value

tdaddy diversity
01/28/13 10:08 pm

EarlyBird, so if you sense they want someone to pray for them (like a spouse with a rare and virulent terminal cancer) do you tell them you'll pray for them too (even though you know you won't)?

persuader
01/28/13 9:10 pm

TDaddy
I am sure that by searching your soul and studying the scriptures you will find the answer to your question.

tdaddy diversity
01/28/13 7:41 am

And what if, one day, robots are programmed to believe they have souls and are real human beings that get comfort from believing somebody died after a day of tortuous or humiliating events? Will they be denied paradise if everything they were taught were lies?

munkey? SilentMunkey
01/27/13 7:36 pm

"Evidence against" is the wrong way to put that... ...how about a total lack of evidence.

Drpaulitics San Diego, CA
01/26/13 11:55 pm

There is also a fundamental characteristic of nature called "cause and effect". What caused the big bang? What caused an infinitesimally small point of non-energized matter to explode into the universe we live in?

BiscuitJone Florida
01/26/13 10:38 pm

Treat everybody how you yourself would like to be treated and everything will work better regardless of theology or ideology.

BadWolf The Library
01/26/13 2:38 pm

So you're saying god exists because we can breathe?

BadWolf The Library
01/26/13 2:37 pm

Tooth fairy is in cahoots with the Easter bunny. That's why there is so much Easter candy, so the tooth fairy gets more rotten teeth.

susanr Colorado
01/26/13 8:23 am

Oh, sorry, I did misread your reply.

Artonbay Where I am
01/26/13 6:51 am

I have lived part of my life believing in a Creator and part of it not believing. The real truth? Neither way makes any difference. Religion is man-made, folks..and everything it encompasses. Including every deity ever dreamed up.

ishady 86451132020
01/26/13 3:26 am

Didn't miss it. Wasn't worth expounding on.

1984in2013
01/26/13 12:30 am

I would consider myself incredibly arrogant if I professed to know if God does or does not exsist. As a parent I have watched my child "discover" things I set up. I'll stay on the fence on this one.

susanr Colorado
01/26/13 12:28 am

We can study the oxygen, and all the other elements in air, in rather excruciating detail. We've known a thing or two about it since at least the late 1700s.

Wakeupdummies Iowa
01/25/13 11:38 pm

it can be proven that the invisible air exists.

Maverick Problem Solver
01/25/13 8:52 pm

Something had to be a catalyst for life and this world to function? Do you agree?

Maverick Problem Solver
01/25/13 8:41 pm

The above reply goes to you as we'll.

Maverick Problem Solver
01/25/13 8:40 pm

I would like to see how well you respond if you did not have the "invisible" oxygen you are breathing...

GiantRobot Pennsylvania
01/25/13 8:08 pm

That, or DumbF*ckistan..,

GiantRobot Pennsylvania
01/25/13 8:06 pm

Tooth Fairy=Real. Who else is going to drop off the Bigfoots?

glyiker America
01/25/13 4:23 pm

But since the black box was never opened, we were never certain that marbles were in the box. Even if we can see things, we can still only say they are certain to our senses. A honeybee, for example, has a compound eye and sees things differently than we do, and we can't say 1 view is more real.

glyiker America
01/25/13 4:19 pm

The later sounded more correct. We can not ever be absolutely certain of anything. The scientific method requires that we retest our theories. Back in elementary school, I remember our science teacher put marbles into a locked black box. Most of us guessed that marbles that marbles were in the box

susanr Colorado
01/25/13 3:37 pm

I kinda think dreamer & ishady missed the point of EB's comment.

ishady 86451132020
01/25/13 3:33 pm

Man made him up.

teekvah
01/25/13 3:05 pm

How about the tooth fairy?

person778 somewhere on planet earth
01/25/13 12:17 pm

And that, folks, is a genuine example of why there's so much red on this poll

Charlie1988 Massachusetts
01/25/13 11:42 am

Family Guy reference I think. Carl Sagan's Cosmos Edited for Rednecks lol

_-=ST0RMY=-_
01/25/13 7:54 am

I don't see why people denounce things that can make you happy or give you hope. I believe in God, not because I have been forced to feel it, but because I wanted to feel it.

EarlyBird Portland
01/25/13 2:47 am

TD - when people say that to me, I think of it as a nice gesture. It's a way for them to express they care. Nothing more, nothing less.

tdaddy diversity
01/25/13 1:48 am

But when they say "I'll include you in my prayers," does it make you hopeful or are you thinking in modern society how is it that older people still believe in the kinds of things that many children believe even if they lack any real proof.

Charlie1988 Massachusetts
01/25/13 1:44 am

So glad I live in the Northeast. I wish the Northeast and the West Coast could break away and join Canada. Then the rest of the U.S. could change its name to Jesusland.

tabbser
01/25/13 1:35 am

Lots of societies children believe in Santa Claus too, but that makes it no more true. The human race are the children of the universe, the truth is much simpler and obvious once you How to look. QED.

tabbser
01/25/13 1:29 am

Isn't that a sting song ? I feel like saying every breath you take took. Anyways, the proof is in the books my friend, you won't find it in Israel.

tabbser
01/25/13 1:24 am

Natural. No such thing as god.

dahmon
01/24/13 11:03 pm

What evidence are you talking about?

MGBlueDream
01/24/13 10:13 pm

It's sad how many people believe in a big invisible man in the sky.

ArechiDan Post Apocalyptic America
01/24/13 9:38 pm

I believe its possible to have both at once, i do not limit myself to the confines of a single dogma. Nor would i find creation any less magical if it were true...or if a god dosnt even exsist for that matter.

I find the question more entertaining than the answer so to speak.

burdman Nowhere
01/24/13 9:04 pm

The funny thing is, Christianity has only been around for a couple thousand years. Does that mean that everybody who lived before it was created automatically go to hell for not believing in something that didn't exist in their time?

BadWolf The Library
01/24/13 8:37 pm

You don't need evidence against god, there's just no evidence for god.

davidkelly6023 Pennsylvania
01/24/13 8:07 pm

If making life does not preclude god's existence then explain Adam and Eve

jamjay Atlanta, Ga
01/24/13 7:58 pm

If humans could get past all this invisible man crap - we could learn some self reliance and learn to be strong on our own.

gunluvr NOT a Gun Free Zone
01/24/13 7:57 pm

WastelandDan, the God I believe in doesn't need evolution to create anything ... Can you prove intelligent Design didn't happen ? No you can't because you were not there...but if you look at the odds that all this is by chance, then you have alot more faith in science than i do ...

veritas1 Panda
01/24/13 7:56 pm

@David
1) evolution says nothing about the emergence/creation of life
2) god not making life does not preclude his/her/its existence in any way

gunluvr NOT a Gun Free Zone
01/24/13 7:51 pm

Mitwister, if you are right about evolution, then when I die, lights go out, and nothing happens ... but, if I'm right about a Creator, when you die , what will happen ? It takes alot more faith to be in your position in my personal opinion ... Where's these transitional animals science talks about?

davidkelly6023 Pennsylvania
01/24/13 6:51 pm

Because you don't need a god to create you if you evolved from simpler organisms

veritas1 Panda
01/24/13 6:40 pm

How does evolution refute the possibility of god's existence?