Show Of Hands March 1st, 2012 12:00am

Do you currently have health insurance?

03/07/12 8:08 pm

lemmiwinks --do you have a job. Does your condition truly prevent you from taking care of yourself or has this world taught you to think that you do not have to? this is not an attack on you-- I think it helps others see there are legitimate needs sometimes

03/07/12 3:57 am

Yes. It's not really a surprise that 90% of the people who use this app (iPod Touch / smartphone users) would have health insurance.

RogueMom In a Hand Basket
03/04/12 12:25 pm

I'd support a system that helped people who actually needed it, but we need to flush out the Leeches. Otherwise we will all drown!

RogueMom In a Hand Basket
03/04/12 12:25 pm

RogueMom In a Hand Basket
03/04/12 12:24 pm

Lemmiwinks: For everyone ONE of you with Legit medical needs there are probably 5 (since 60% of people get gove. assist) who are milking the system. My nieces mom is on Gov assistance and takes her kid to the ER every time she has a fever.

RogueMom In a Hand Basket
03/04/12 12:24 pm

lemmiwinks
03/04/12 11:34 am

I'm 25 with a serious preexisting condition that requires expensive medication. Without my meds I wouldn't be able to function physically, much less in today's society. Once I'm off my parents' insurance when I turn 26 I'll have no way to pay for the care I need. Chew on that, those against Obama.

ntvtxn62
03/03/12 10:13 pm

I work- of course I pay for it- & I have it.

03/03/12 11:03 am

I had some idiot tell me that health care is not charity & he'd be willing to pay out of pocket. Well, now I found out his wife had cancer. hmmm

03/03/12 10:59 am

yes I do because I have epilepsy and seizure meds can get pricy, I've had insurance company's give me a hard time telling me I'm taking too many meds. huh? the Dr. prescribed them

Perot4Prez
03/03/12 1:31 am

You deprived the insurance company of the upside when you were healthy. Why should they be compelled to take you now that all they have is the downside of your illness?

Perot4Prez
03/03/12 1:31 am

@MsPhotoGir: My heart goes out to you (no pun intended). I hope all goes well. You situation is precisely why insurance companies should NOT be compelled to cover pre-existing conditions. You chose to give up peace of mind to save some money...man understandable risk.

MsPhotoGir Montana
03/03/12 12:52 am

because of a weird heart thing that I now have an appt. to see a specialist about to decide what to do about it. Tried to get insurance reinstated because it looks like this may get pricey...and was denied.

MsPhotoGir Montana
03/03/12 12:49 am

Nope, denied. I used to have it but got tired of paying tons of money per month for the premium and then not having it actually cover anything. However, recently racked up a huge ER bill (due to passing out, hitting my head and needing stitches)...found out that the reason I've been passing out is

Rosebud Ohio
03/02/12 8:31 pm

Rogue- THAT would qualify as a PITA! Lol

gjb2779
03/02/12 8:27 pm

yes & it's horrible. health insurance is a giant bitch

geoag02 Dallas, TX
03/02/12 6:37 pm

I use to pay $97 per month for an individual plan that covered major medical only. Now thanks to what little of Obamacare has been implemented so far it covers some other stuff like prescriptions and doctor visits and costs $140 per month. Thanks Obama!

Perot4Prez
03/02/12 6:31 pm

I remember CHAMPUS (before TriCare). It was an 80/20 split. If the Dr. billed you $200, you paid $200. If CHAMPUS said that procedure was only worth $100, they gave you $20 and you were out the remaining $180.

RogueMom In a Hand Basket
03/02/12 5:47 pm

Perot: If the government handled Medicare/Medicad/Food Stamps.... the way Insurance Companies process claims people won't be so anxious to get on the programs. "Can you justify your March 2nd purchase of that Twinkie?"

Perot4Prez
03/02/12 5:41 pm

@RogueMom: I miss the good ole days when customers (patients) paid in full at the time of service and then they had to process their own paperwork with their own insurance company for reimbursement. There were 2 business relationships. 1.) Dr. & Patient 2.) Patient & Insurance company.

mommabear Idaho
03/02/12 5:29 pm

obviously I cant guarantee it. but cars have insurance including medical. duh. and yes, the money saved would go fast but that's what payment plans are for. I never said it would pay for the whole thing. save it up over the years and it pays for a whole lot!

sweetnes34 Outta Phucks
03/02/12 4:14 pm

Yes but for the 1st time in almost 10 years

idream
03/02/12 3:42 pm

@P4P - I couldn't even get insurance before even when I said they could not cover my condition or that I was willing to pay a very high premium. They wouldn't touch me. And I still pay a pretty high premium for my current coverage.

03/02/12 3:38 pm

I'm still on my parents plan :) My current job doesn't offer benefits, so I'm hoping I'll land one that does after I graduate.

03/02/12 3:05 pm

Yes. All those, including me, that have it should be thankful.

RogueMom In a Hand Basket
03/02/12 3:03 pm

Giving 30% - 40% off of a procedure for a Cash Patient is still way more beneficial to our office than getting paid thorugh insurance. Some insurance cut our costs 50-70%. I bet more people would be pissed if their work was cut by such a %

RogueMom In a Hand Basket
03/02/12 3:02 pm

Perot: YEP! Our family dental office looses money with insurance all the time. If every American had to justify every paycheck they had and delay payment 3 months to a year while they showed proof they were doing their job then no one would like insurance.

Perot4Prez
03/02/12 12:19 pm

@RogueMom: Great advice to noname. But save her own money... Seriously? Fight the good fight. What this country needs is more people with your practical approach to life.

RogueMom In a Hand Basket
03/02/12 11:37 am

@No Name: You can always save to go for routine general doctors visits. Most doctors/dental offices give great deals for Full Fee/Cash patients and even have an Interest Free program for payment plans. It's not like you CAN'T go to the doctor.

Perot4Prez
03/02/12 10:37 am

Insurance is not charity. The reality is that the rest of the people that are insured by that company pay higher premiums so that your coverage can be affordable to you. That is the law of supply and demand at work in the marketplace and it is fair.

Perot4Prez
03/02/12 10:30 am

@idream: I do not prefer your death. What I prefer is that you acknowledge insuring you is a business decision. Requiring a company to provide coverage for a pre-existing condition makes sense if that company can charge you a premium that makes financial sense to them.

401k
03/02/12 10:21 am

I have excellent health & dental insurance. Most things are 100% covered or $20 copay. I had a major surgery last year that was billed for $150,000 & I only paid $1000 out of pocket

rangeman Lafayette IN.
03/02/12 9:56 am

I self pay, You can ask for a list of services & prices. Granted not all doctors have them.

idream
03/02/12 9:19 am

@P4P - I have bipolar disorder, a genetic illness. Without health insurance I would be dead or on the streets. With treatment, I'm a productive member of society. If I were on the streets, my hospital visits would cost the taxpayers. I guess you would prefer I were dead?

piratehkr Florida
03/02/12 6:00 am

I'm a 25 yr old female and I have no health insurance. I haven't been to the doctor since I was 17 or 18 and only for being sick one time. I've never gone to any other doctor. Can't afford it even if I do have problems. I figure that if something did happen, my death would impact very few.

angiebrite Gallifrey
03/02/12 5:12 am

Ask me again in a year. Unfortunately, my coverage will expire after this year

Wert A picture of my junk
03/02/12 4:11 am

I have fine insurance. No complaints there. What irks me is how much the skills and knowledge of general healthcare providers has deteriorated. I swear most GPs these days don't even know how to open an aspirin bottle. And diagnostic skills are nearly nonexistent.

PartyFree Nowhere in Particular
03/02/12 3:53 am

@nono - purchasing individual health insurance = purchasing a new smartphone every month. I don't know about you, but I tend to only buy one new phone every 2 years.
Not everyone has access to a group plan or to Daddy's coverage. Individual plans ($$$) are where insurance companies make their money.

Perot4Prez
03/02/12 3:25 am

Working for the company that makes this device is awesome. $110 a month for a $30 copay and no deductible.

emsies Seattle
03/02/12 1:10 am

Thank god I do! I got a 17,000 dollar surgery in October. I would be living in my car if not for health insurance and financial aid from the hospital.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
03/02/12 12:43 am

We pay $770 a month for second tear coverage.

Rosebud Ohio
03/02/12 12:14 am

Enuf- I had some that caused them, but these are due to changes in my body since having my daughter. My body still hasn't gotten back to normal yet. Thankfully it's not due to them (I had 4 in 6 months before her due to medication), and less frequent.

03/01/12 11:36 pm

hey Rosebud are you on contraceptives - actually don't answer that - it is none of my business. But I can tell you that some women experience an increase in UTI's on them. If it is relevant check with your doctor - a different Rx may help.

Rosebud Ohio
03/01/12 11:01 pm

We won't know for probably 15 years for my husband (to see if he gets it). I get frequent UTI's and some are very bad. Had to go to the ER 2 months ago because I was having trouble breathing. A few weeks ago daughter had roseola, almost has to take her to the ER for tests. We can't take the risk.

Rosebud Ohio
03/01/12 10:59 pm

As for surprised, I had a brain tumor when I was 8. Completely unexpected. Ambulance ride, MRIs and CAT scans, before and regularly for years after. Brain surgery. I don't even want to know what it would have cost my family. My FIL has a kidney disease that's killing him and may be genetic, though

03/01/12 10:25 pm

my wife has secondary insurance that pays anything my insurance doesn't pay for, when my employer reimburses the deductible, I get that $3600 bucks as a bonus check.

03/01/12 10:21 pm

I pay $30 month for full coverage, $30 copay, employer reimburses 80% of deductible and 100% of prescription copays. that said, I only went to the doctor once last year for a cortisone shot in the knee.

03/01/12 10:09 pm

Have it through the military...but who knows how much longer if the government has its way....