Show Of Hands April 17th, 2012 12:00am

Do you think the recent misconduct by Federal employees (e.g. GSA in Vegas and Secret Service in Colombia) are isolated incidents, or happen often but rarely get exposed?

04/30/12 2:12 pm

I think everyone overeacted at this incident.

micelee
04/25/12 6:40 pm

live in a state capital? attend a one day seminar and see how many state employees are there because they are required to attend training. go to lunch and see how many return for the day.

Think Lovin Life
04/23/12 10:24 am

Zod ... how do explain away the facts ... here's one for you ... while most of us have to deal with the TSA when we travel, the good folks traveling thru SFO get to deal with screeners from a private company. The travel experience is MUCH better.

nae41904 Ohio
04/22/12 2:48 pm

sex scandal in a male-dominated organization, how surprising

clux40
04/22/12 10:09 am

That SS incident wouldn't have happened if the dude had paid up.

lizrox California
04/22/12 8:34 am

who voted isolated? omg do you live under a rock?!

DiBs
04/21/12 12:11 am

I feel public officials health plans should be subject to "change". Why do they make the money they do? If you are public servant how is it possible for you to make on the average more than a private sector employee? Ironically, these disgraceful people have the nerve to live lavishly on our money!

shellbellgb
04/20/12 12:45 am

How many incidents do you think have occurred that the American public will never know about? We're crazy if we think this was an isolated incident! :)

wetheslaves Live each moment fully
04/19/12 6:35 pm

They always involve a woman. Even if innocent like Monica.

04/19/12 11:35 am

for one it's a lot easier for a woman to find a willing man....

EarlyBird Portland
04/19/12 10:44 am

Food for thought... Wonder why these types of scandals rarely involve women?

wetheslaves Live each moment fully
04/18/12 7:04 pm

Balanced authority is good. Secrecy brings out the worst parts of human nature. I have seen what people can do to each other. Enough said.

wetheslaves Live each moment fully
04/18/12 6:59 pm

The guys at the top are all nicely dressed billionaires who look respectable. They must be nice people. Their kids all marry to solidify the relationship. It is a family business. Is it good for everybody?

wetheslaves Live each moment fully
04/18/12 6:53 pm

Did you know the mafia and FBI are best buddies? They have been working together for decades. It was documented in world war two. How much compromise do we allow for information, control and partnership. Life is not black and white. Is overthrowing bad governments good? Do we even care? Relax.

wetheslaves Live each moment fully
04/18/12 6:44 pm

If a SS person is prepared to act in a corrupt manner, would it be possible for them to take money to allow the president to be killed? It is just another selfish corrupt action.

All the secret groups can easily be a culture and government to themselves. It is normal to become that way if secret.

04/18/12 5:38 pm

I'll bet this is just the tip of the iceberg. There is so much waste, fraud and corruption in government it's shocking. Believe me....we all pay MORE than our fair share.

EarlyBird Portland
04/18/12 3:15 pm

Those guys should have never done what they did. But it will happen

EarlyBird Portland
04/18/12 3:13 pm

Really, I think it's human nature to play if given the opportunity.

NYevo NY
04/18/12 2:34 pm

It keeps happening. Every year. Every party. Human nature will always cause jerks to ruin it for the non jerks. In your government. In your job. In your life

04/18/12 2:02 pm

Ignorant bop lol... Yeah it's the same thing with police speeding. They just CAN do it... It sucks.

HolyBabble Mississippi
04/18/12 2:21 am

Can you blame them!
Shakira, Sofia Vergara, etc etc ... Columbian women are hotttttt.

smallbiz44
04/17/12 9:31 pm

During the 70's I went to Bogota with 25 others from our industry. We were welcomed by the Columbian Gov't. officials who were all Cartel and / or Mafia members and told that "everything " we wanted was "on the house", the organizer of the trip reminded us of what we represented. Leadership won out.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
04/17/12 8:15 pm

P4P moving off the planet, even if only to the moon, is such a big first step that I just hope somebody does it in my lifetime. If it turns out to be the Chinese I'll learn how to say "Well done!" in Mandarin and will be proud for them. Just saying we should do it won't get Newt my vote though.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
04/17/12 8:04 pm

Or stay here and "privatize" as much of it as you can. Same thing...

Perot4Prez
04/17/12 8:03 pm

@hazhap1: The US govt was run with a surplus (for profit) for decades after the Civil War to retire the humongous debt that had been accumulated during the early 1860's.

hazhap1 Las Vegas
04/17/12 7:57 pm

If you'd like to live under a "for profit" government.. Move to Saudi Arabia

Perot4Prez
04/17/12 7:48 pm

@hazhap1: When your company hosted an event, it was likely paid for out of profits. If your company was losing money, they would tighten their belt and downsize or eliminate the events. We are 15+ trillion in DEBT. There are no profits!

hazhap1 Las Vegas
04/17/12 7:33 pm

Every company I've ever worked for host events for employees, has gift give-a-ways, and finds fun ways to reward employees for their hard work. Why people think government employees aren't worthy of the same rewards as the general population is beyond me.

Perot4Prez
04/17/12 7:32 pm

@Zod: I agree with you. However, having a nation with as many people as China populate the moon is a good thing. It would take a ton of people to make it a thriving economy and not just a rich man's tourist destination.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
04/17/12 7:31 pm

Sorry P4P, that probably didn't make sense since my brain was still jiggling from the phrase "President Gingrich".

Zod Above Pugetropolis
04/17/12 7:27 pm

P4P no idea, but I'm sure we'll freak out when they do, and that might even be a good thing. The challenge to get to the moon send back by he end of the '60s was a direct response to the Soviets doing a thing we didn't think was possible.

04/17/12 7:18 pm

The timing of the release of this information is also very suspect… Please tell me how this is been hidden since 2010? It wasn't. It just wasn't needed in the media until now…

Perot4Prez
04/17/12 7:16 pm

@Zod: How close do you figure that Chinese house will be to President Gingrich's Moon base?

04/17/12 7:14 pm

We all agree on something finally.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
04/17/12 6:44 pm

The debt and cost sure didn't help.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
04/17/12 6:43 pm

Gunny I think the space program was a cold war effort that started with us getting caught short with Sputnik and ran out of a reason to be when the USSR broke up. We'll probably ramp up again when China builds a house on the Moon - if we still can by then.

bulldog
04/17/12 5:40 pm

totally common in government and in many sales jobs

DB1984 Pennsylvania
04/17/12 4:51 pm

I think it's a Systemic problem with a Federal Government that's gotten too big and out of control .

04/17/12 4:20 pm

our federal debt ended the manned space program, IMHO

04/17/12 4:19 pm

Forte, Agreed(my misunderstanding). I got a bud that's SS. High, High standards. He works counter sniper and he is AJ Squared away. This is a Huge black eye for them. I hope they get canned for bringing disgrace to them.

04/17/12 3:40 pm

Their called "secret" for a reason

scottstots Georgia
04/17/12 3:30 pm

I think it's common in the secret service, DoD, GSA,etc. it's common in both parties, each president. You have people with basically unchecked access to loads of $. The only time they have to be accountable USIA when it makes the evening news.

BB2014 Des Moines, IA
04/17/12 3:24 pm

I know this has nothing to do with this topic but who ended the space shuttle program? Bush or Obama?

04/17/12 3:19 pm

Not really sure it happened the way its been reported yet. In the us we have this thing called "innocent until PROVEN guilty". The charges are there but the charges came from a back woods third world country.
I'll hold my judgement on the ss until
The us has investigated the incident.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
04/17/12 3:07 pm

I've heard many other similar stories about other contract functions and believe at least some of them are true. You'll hear about abuses too, if you listen. Do the words "Halliburton" or "Blackwater" stir any memories?