Show Of Hands October 22nd, 2012 12:00am

Will science and technology ever make time travel possible?

nkcj
10/29/12 6:51 pm

Black Holes. Very dangerous, but possible

JynxAllen Tennessee
10/28/12 9:07 pm

So if that guy from the future uses it, then it had to have been invented!

Exotic
10/27/12 11:25 pm

I dont think stopping time is possible so how is moving past time possible?

BeNotAfraid missing my sunrise
10/27/12 8:20 pm

Roswell is in New Mexico. (Sorry, I hit 'submit' too soon.)

BeNotAfraid missing my sunrise
10/27/12 8:19 pm

Roswell is in New Mexico. (Sorry, I hit 'submit' too soon.

BeNotAfraid missing my sunrise
10/27/12 8:17 pm

Area 51 is part of Edwards Air Force base in Nevada. Roswell, the site of the crash from which the debris and 'travelers' were allegedly transported to Area 51.

ken08106
10/27/12 7:17 pm

28% of people are totally naive and lack simple knowledge of physics. time travel requires moving faster than the speed of light

L1B3RTAR1AN Virginia
10/27/12 6:42 am

Time travel only works if you go into the future. That way you don't cause any parallel universe by changing what's going to happen. Steven Hawkins explained a mechanic way of doing it without building some machine on earth.

Cbomber Ohio
10/26/12 9:26 am

If time travel did exist we would already know about it, as someone in an point of the future would have traveled to this point in time now.

pages
10/25/12 6:33 pm

Probably will although I doubt it will be cheap or able to do much other thank travel forward or to a very limited extent back

Victrino New Jersey
10/25/12 5:38 am

This is a tricky one because if you consider time dilation then we've already done it to a degree. The past is never going to happen, I don't even think the chronovisor idea could happen.

frostylions Michigan
10/24/12 8:33 pm

We don't even yet fully understand time, let alone how it fits with the universe.

TheQuestioner Question Everything.
10/24/12 7:35 pm

You would be able to travel forward. You could never travel back, however i believe they may develop ways to view the past as a spectator.

10/24/12 2:29 pm

...he would return to find that more time had passed on earth than had passed on his journey (he traveled forward in time).

10/24/12 2:27 pm

Time travel forward is possible. We know this for a fact. The rate at which time passes at your head is measurably different from the rate at your feet. Atomic Clocks on GPS Sattelites tick slower than their on ground counterparts. If someone were to travel into space at near light speed...

Jmhf
10/24/12 11:28 am

You could travel forward, but never back

EnginE3r Texas
10/24/12 6:55 am

There is a theory that if a time machine where activated, that the farthest you can travel into the past is the moment when the time machine was activated. Say I turn it on right now, then tomorrow the farthest into the past I can travel will be oct 24 2012 8:54 AM.

EnginE3r Texas
10/24/12 6:49 am

We can do things today that people a long time ago would have considered impossible then, so the development of time travel could happen, though I doubt it will be anytime soon.

DoubleAgent
10/24/12 6:04 am

Hi! I'm from the year 2121, my name is Phil. Nice to find a question I can answer, of course! I'd say see ya later, but you'll be dead ???? peace! Don't start WW3 or anything.....oh wait...

DoubleAgent
10/24/12 5:46 am

Reading these comments gives me a headache

JamesMadison La Palma
10/23/12 11:49 pm

But think of this: let's say you go to the future and your son kills you before you give birth to him in present day. He has now prevented you from giving birth to him making a paradox. It's essentially the Grandfather Paradox reversed

ChamberlainInVA Roanoke, VA
10/23/12 9:07 pm

How do you know that hasn't happened? If someone told you they were from the future would you believe them? Exactly, so why would they even announce it if they did?

10/23/12 8:58 pm

In the virtual world...

TheMerc
10/23/12 7:35 pm

up up down down left right left right b a start

TiltonAllStarz Outside Ur Comfort Zone
10/23/12 6:33 pm

Think about it this way
(A)time(B)line(C)
A-the past
B-the present
C-the future
If I leave B to go to C then I won't be around to make any of the decisions that lead to C. Maybe to go back in time, but not the future. But still, highly unlikely.

latebird SOH Bunker
10/23/12 5:34 pm

We would have time travel to go further into the future but not into the past

10/23/12 5:28 pm

If we develop time travel in the future, wouldn't we already know it... think about it. (Hint: we would always have known it)

chivalry74
10/23/12 5:13 pm

Already is possible. Just read Romney's foreign policy! :-)

Weave77 Indianapolis
10/23/12 4:41 pm

It already is- albeit for infinitesimally small particles and for infinitesimally small period of time (oh the things you learn on "Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman"...)

Itabliss Hello
10/23/12 2:39 pm

I'm not arguing about the ethics of it, but impossible is a dangerous word to tie yourself too.

Itabliss Hello
10/23/12 2:38 pm

Time travel is already possible, in fact, every person reading this statement is traveling forward in time. Not to mention, I believe there are a couple international flights that make you a opulent of milliseconds older.

BadWolf The Library
10/23/12 2:13 pm

Can't believe nobody got the reference...

snuffulufugus Missouri
10/23/12 1:40 pm

Uh... Hello. You would have to travel faster than the speed of light which isn't possible, and it would be so corrupt anyway that people would destroy it.

JimboJones Illinois
10/23/12 1:35 pm

I also saw Morgan Freeman tell me this on television. Sounds legit.

JimboJones Illinois
10/23/12 1:32 pm

I believe it is a fact the closer to the speed of light a person approaches they travel forward in time and age less. Going forward seems do-able. Coming back not so much so.

GoNiners
10/23/12 1:22 pm

If it were possible, wouldn't we have seen evidence of time travelers by now?

kytoaltoky
10/23/12 1:15 pm

But isn't one's existence necessarily "linear?" Time travel would theoretically separate one from that linear reality and thus be the end of that existence. In other words, in terms of the reality from which you travel, YOU would no longer exist. Thus time travel in any orthodox sense is impossible!

freeedom New Hampshire
10/23/12 11:39 am

@Anarchy, name one.

Stephen Hawking is one of the most well respected and brilliant minds of our time.

tcadez Minnesnowta
10/23/12 9:48 am

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big bowl of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff. Thus making time travel possible with a TARDIS.

DankZane Visus Per Mentem
10/23/12 6:09 am

Or you could travel close to the speed of light so time moves slower for you than your surroundings. That's how you travel into the future. If you understood anything about the theory of relativity, you'd know that.

supereliguy Andromeda
10/23/12 5:35 am

I'm going to bury a time capsule in my yard!

supereliguy Andromeda
10/23/12 5:32 am

It idea is one would age slower due to time dilation, so if one were to travel 6 light years away then back, for those on earth it would have taken over twelve years because the person was going "almost" the speed of light; however, to this person, it may have taken a day or so.

supereliguy Andromeda
10/23/12 5:29 am

For one to go back in time they would have to be traveling faster than the speed of light, which isn't possible because at c the object's mass would be infinite. Going forward in time is more reasonable because if someone could travel close to the speed of light, time would move slower for them.

freeedom New Hampshire
10/23/12 5:17 am

@Doopy, so if you buy a one way plane ticket that's not travel?