Show Of Hands February 25th, 2012 12:00am

Have you had a hunting or fishing license in the past 12 months?

03/08/12 10:06 am

Wow people need to go explore the outdoors more.

03/07/12 5:50 am

No. I'm "licensed" to get my animal protein at Kroger, Meijer's, and Wal-Mart. It may not be as fresh but it's always there when I need it. Anyhow I am sure that if I had to obtain my own meats I have few doubts that I'd become a vegetarian.

Drummin Michigan
03/01/12 6:42 pm

im 14 so yes, its only my 2nd year and ive shot almost everything i can legally shoot. ill skin it for meat though, so its not really wasting anything.

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
02/29/12 1:06 pm

whatever I saw, but I had just been to the gym and was sorta exhausted. I might have been seeing things… Unless I see it again and get a picture, I won't know for sure what if anything I actually saw.

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
02/29/12 1:06 pm

@wetheslave yeah, but I don't think it was a hyena. Just the size and general complexion. The tail on a hyena is distinct, the tail on this thing was way bushier and almost to the ground. Big contrast. But still, there was a reason I didn't hang around that weird thing. Oh, and I think I saw…

anarchy4s South Carolina
02/28/12 7:18 pm

Oh yeah...the question...yes, I hunt and fish.

anarchy4s South Carolina
02/28/12 7:17 pm

Fiat: I'm telling you bro...it was a ware-coon...half wolf, half raccoon, half man; 150% bloodthirsty killing machine. (good luck figuring out the math on that one)

wetheslaves Live each moment fully
02/28/12 5:48 pm

@fiat2lux - it sounds like you did the right thing avoiding hanging around. Hyenas can break an arm with one bite. Not sure about all these reports of "mutated" animals. However, I have seen big dogs. The biggest stood at shoulder height on all fours. It killed a farmers sheep and carried away

jamjay Atlanta, Ga
02/28/12 7:24 am

Not for me.
Total respect for all that do enjoy.
I was not taken as a kid and now I just have no interest.
Sort of like NASCAR - no interest.

02/27/12 2:48 pm

yes. I couldn't.live without it. its like having a legal card to do what I love.

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
02/27/12 9:20 am

@GunnySgt Yeah, that'd be nice. But unfortunately my Dad has already had his share of malfunctions, improper training, lack of combat mindset, etc. So, it won't be for a while until I can do that. For now, my survival instincts and 911 will have to do.

GunnyGunz Virginia
02/27/12 6:59 am

IPod & small pistol. Who knows, a hyena may have escaped from a reserve or zoo. Bon Chance.

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
02/27/12 4:52 am

@GunnySgt Thanks! And I'll be bringing my iPod around more also so that I can get photographic proof of whatever weird stuff I see, because that's more reliable than memory, and now I'll just keep my eyes peeled again.

GunnyGunz Virginia
02/26/12 7:59 pm

@FIAT, my $$ is on a dog. If you got coyotes in NC that big, you guys got some problems.

TheAntiLib Dutchess County, NY
02/26/12 7:28 pm

I just made some venison carpaccio the other day.... Mmmm.. I get myself a deer or two every year... It is the leanest meat on the planet.

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
02/26/12 6:04 pm

@GunnySgt I might be on parallel tracks with you here, but I think it was probably at least 60 lbs, no idea how much more, and not a thin scrawny thing, unless it's thick fur obscured that. Somewhere from 2 to 3 feet high at the head.

02/26/12 4:45 pm

Answered no but about 18 months I had a fishing license so that my son could fish.

GunnyGunz Virginia
02/26/12 12:50 pm

@FIAT, been busy this am, when you said size of hyena, did u mean height, or bulk? Cuz a hyena is a big dog (90-190 lbs). Biggest coyote I've ever killed was about 35 lbs.

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
02/26/12 5:44 am

@vanguarde well if you're the same guy, you change your state, spelling of your screen name, and content of your posts to something that actually contributes constructively to the conversation.

@GunnySgt once again, it's the size of a hyena. I have a vote from @Epic;-P for coyote…

vanguarde Kennesaw, GA
02/26/12 3:42 am

@FIAT2LUX @jimmyjelly I've been here all along,

tcotco10 California
02/25/12 11:16 pm

Everyone who didn't or doesn't is really not living life. Hunting and fishing is great!

02/25/12 10:21 pm

WTF!? Sorry bumped my iPod :-)

02/25/12 10:19 pm

@fiat probably a coyote rg

RJ1969 SoCal
02/25/12 9:59 pm

when has predation, a fundamental aspect of biology suddenly become immoral?

JaquesV Bentonville, AR
02/25/12 9:51 pm

@horizon "pro-life" applies to humans. And without game and fish control, they'd would starve and disease themselves to extinction. Limited game license supports the species.

RJ1969 SoCal
02/25/12 9:14 pm

I feel really guilty. I am a one man ecological disaster when it comes to fish.

redheeler Texas
02/25/12 8:22 pm

I guess only 18% of the population will survive the Massive world war.

2ndafe Flat lands of Ohio
02/25/12 7:29 pm

if I had the time require to hunt correctly, I would. however I do love to shoot guns and own several.

GunnyGunz Virginia
02/25/12 7:25 pm

Fiat, how big? Fox? Or just a mangy dog?

02/25/12 5:46 pm

This Oregon woman loves to hunt!

majorasmask
02/25/12 5:16 pm

There are your "pro-life" Republicans for you in the filter section.

02/25/12 4:17 pm

Wetheslave@ woah! Your son can go into the forest and shoot defenseless wildlife! Amazing absolutely amazing!

02/25/12 4:15 pm

@in wow once every year? That's so many fishing trips.

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
02/25/12 2:19 pm

No I haven't had a license for either of those. I haven't shot a gun in over two years, and I haven't fished in several months, and that was in a different state under my uncle's license.

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
02/25/12 2:17 pm

Everything like the hyena except for stripes instead of dots, and the tail differential. Ideas? I didn't stop to look more closely, I was just riding my bike through my street and it was right there. Didn't want to attract its attention because I didn't have any good tools to fight with, and I…

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
02/25/12 2:16 pm

@GunnySgt speaking of wild dogs, a few weeks ago I saw what looked sorta like a hyena loose around here. Now, I'm in the wrong continent, and I believe the tail was too long and bushy to actually be one, but it was striped and looked distinctly like one except for that. Furry fuzzy, bushy tail…

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
02/25/12 2:08 pm

you guys keep telling her to zip it. It's really nice not seeing her comments, you should hit the ignore button on her too.

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
02/25/12 2:08 pm

@jimmyjelly actually he spelled it "Vangaurde". And yeah that guy was (supposedly) from there. But I have a suspicion that many or most of the SoH trolls are that persons mastermind.

@gramps, if you want HolyBabble to give up, then just ignore her. The only way I know she even comments is because…

snuzzy
02/25/12 1:48 pm

*so do we** I don't know why my phone changes so to do. Drives me nuts!

snuzzy
02/25/12 1:47 pm

Hubby & I go fishing with our kids every year. They both love it & do do we. Can't wait for camping weather!

thathrlady
02/25/12 1:43 pm

Not me, but my husband has and my son has been in the woods since he was three month old. He will be taking his hunters safety course this summer (age 14).

wetheslaves Live each moment fully
02/25/12 1:07 pm

Sounds like I need to visit the mountains of pa

jimmyjelly BFE, PA
02/25/12 12:48 pm

Yup. Toyota makes a hell of a four wheel drive. Just so pricey. I love this area. I got laid for the first time on a back dirt trail in the back of my bronco II. Never would have happened without four wheel drive.

cowboy Doors of Perception
02/25/12 12:35 pm

No. I fish without the government's knowledge. I'm an American.