EarlyBird Portland
01/28/13 10:27 am

Won't happen because everyone will change their votes when they see who's winning the game.

EmWalt Meet Jim the Duck
01/27/13 7:48 pm

Nuclear weapons have officially been decided unfair. Point disproven.

davidkelly6023 Pennsylvania
01/24/13 5:15 pm

Why do people not agree to that? America won the revolutionary war because they didnt fight "fair"

Rosebud Ohio
01/22/13 9:36 am

Marie Antoinette didn't say that. An you can't have your cake and eat it too- as soon as you eat it, it's gone. You no longer have it.

junior79
01/22/13 1:48 am

Nothing is out of bounds when it comes to love and war. The rules of hard play are acceptable in war. "all is fair in love and war" in other words, in a war or love anything is acceptable or fair.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
01/21/13 9:06 pm

The only rule of war is this: Win.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
01/21/13 9:04 pm

Spy's are fair in war. The only vindicating factor in war is whether or not you win. The American Revolution for instance: If the Founding Fathers had lost, they would've been executed as traitors.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
01/21/13 9:02 pm

The "all's fair in war" part means that war is savage, uncivilized, and the only benefit goes to the victor (not that I'm against war in all cases). I think the idea is that there's a philosophical connection between fighting in war and in love. Not sure much past that.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
01/21/13 8:59 pm

In war, yes. In love...debatable.

listgarten SF Bay Area
01/21/13 8:44 pm

I'm not sure...
I think about that Jabes.
And that's a violent way to approach love

Jabes
01/21/13 7:25 pm

The quote is staring that any tactic, method, or stratagem is allowable in courting or warfare. For example, spreading unflattering lies about a rival suitor for "love" or gassing enemy civilians in "war".

Jabes
01/21/13 7:23 pm

Sorry, hit reply to wrong person

Jabes
01/21/13 7:23 pm

The quote is saying that any tactic, stratagem, or method is allowable to "win" in warfare or courting. For example, spreading unpleasant lies about a rival suitor.

Jabes
01/21/13 7:22 pm

I do not think the quote is saying that love and war ARE fair, merely saying that whatever method you employ in war or courting is, even sabotaging a rival suitor's chances or spreading lies about him/her.

Labranewf14 Georgia
01/21/13 4:59 pm

I've never really understood why this quote has always been presented as some sort of profound wisdom. I'm immediately inclined to disagree. Maybe I'll figure it out one day.

Emporia SoCal
01/21/13 1:57 pm

What about betrayal or spy's??

Blitz
01/21/13 11:58 am

I'm not sure I fully understand this quote..

kingmiles
01/21/13 11:32 am

Just war 'Effin' with someone's heart is just wrong

susanr Colorado
01/21/13 11:22 am

Yeah but the "yours" that you refer to are not the people we are fighting, they're the people that the people we are fighting have oppressed. If you see them as identical because they look the same and are mostly of the same religion, that's just... wrong.

JennaF sunflower state of mind
01/21/13 11:21 am

Or else we are just a pack of wild animals...

superdave
01/21/13 11:11 am

Well I for one look at it this way.... Kill and destroy everything..... Or my preferred choice being.... Bring everyone home.... Tell the world if u leave us alone we will do the same... Kill one of ours we kill 10000 of yours!

chickencookie Give me Liberty
01/21/13 9:59 am

Love unless you are very lucky is never fair.

listgarten SF Bay Area
01/21/13 9:50 am

Neither is fair, are you kidding me?????

munkey? SilentMunkey
01/21/13 9:11 am

There are rules. Rules that the enemy will manipulate to win. Like not firing on you until the last second.

Trust me...when it comes down to it the rules are out the window if you want to survive.

MrJubbs
01/21/13 9:09 am

agreed cheating is a good way for war, but in love you lie and deceiveto give more (but it's fair to give more cause you love him/her)

munkey? SilentMunkey
01/21/13 9:08 am

In war yes. In love not so much. =)

MrJubbs
01/21/13 9:07 am

also fair in love means in ways of showing your love, as in real love both will give an equall amount of thought, regardless of what it amounts to, but neither shall be unfair as in truth it's equality

MrJubbs
01/21/13 9:05 am

in war you try to destroy the other party, why would they complain if they're dead?? or simply your lackey, as if they do complain you may punch

MrJubbs
01/21/13 9:03 am

if both sides follow rules then everything else is fair no matter how underhanded, or in the civil war if they found a serated beyonete (against rules) then you died a horrid death

MrJubbs
01/21/13 8:59 am

in war you need what otherwise be "unfair" but in war it's fair cause that's what war is-trying to get the upper hand through any means necessary

MrJubbs
01/21/13 8:57 am

on love, I believe it's that one may not be better than the better as long as it really is love (they both give it their all even if one person's all more than the others). it's love and still fair.
in war, you can't cheat and no tricks are wrong because war is trying to destroy the other.

MrJubbs
01/21/13 8:53 am

as for war, you're simply trying to destroy the other person. war takes two, so two have to know their attacking one another. in war both parties must expect the worst, you can't be un fair because then you'll just lose as no sympathy should exist for what you shall destroy.(you can still respect.)

MrJubbs
01/21/13 8:49 am

I have been hurt, and I still say that it's true, in love then as long as both parties actually have love then one will never surpass the other in their actions toward each other. e.g. rich man gives gf a car while woman puts a month's pay check into a watch. all's fair in love.

EarlyBird Portland
01/21/13 8:28 am

"But that's not faiirrrrrr!"

susanr Colorado
01/21/13 8:26 am

Except I have the name of the Frost poem wrong. It's "Mending Wall." About two neighbors repairing a stone wall.

susanr Colorado
01/21/13 8:22 am

Because it wasn't that we were fighting the whole country. Basically, besides hunting for bin Laden, we were fighting a group that essentially was holding the whole country hostage. It would be comparable to destroying ALL of Europe during WWII to save them from the Nazis.

cduttwolf Middle Earth
01/21/13 8:10 am

Thanks both of you. I don't think ANYTHINGS fair ever lol, but that's just me.

hippiechick North Carolina
01/21/13 8:10 am

I don't even understand this saying. There are so many rules in love. Idk about war, I'm not experienced in that area.

susanr Colorado
01/21/13 8:01 am

Wipe it off the map? What justification is there for that?

sneuby Philadelphia
01/21/13 7:59 am

First of all, nothing is completely fair ever... Second of all, not to be bitter or anything, but this is just a phrase used by people who hurt others and want to excuse their actions. No one who has been hurt by someone else by love or war would believe this.

barbearnj Dreaming of Banff
01/21/13 7:49 am

Some things are just wrong no matter what. The ends may sometimes justify the means, but not always.

JennaF sunflower state of mind
01/21/13 7:48 am

But we're the ones who got involved in Afghanistan in the first place. How mean would it be to not only interfere, but to wipe it off the map too?!

missbrazilianxx New Jersey
01/21/13 7:46 am

I'm not sure if its on this thread yet, but could someone so kindly explain this quote to me? I think I get it, but then again.. Probably not :)

rare_sense North Carolina