Show Of Hands January 20th, 2013 12:00am

Would you give up the ability to choose your own career in exchange for guaranteed $100k/year (and increasing with inflation) employment for life?

mcahill
01/27/13 7:36 pm

I find it amusing that 32% of people who already make over 100k would give up the freedom to chose there job to make the same amount of money (or less).

8ESBABY Houston
01/27/13 3:40 pm

100K??? Probably an Executive position I'm guessing (??) My BFs dad makes that and all he does is survey land for pipelines. The more u make, the less u do!

GrandmaALiCE
01/22/13 6:26 am

It comes up from time to time. I would like to discuss some point further with only one person - not the entire SOH user base. It may be a tangent, that is off topic, for example.

How about the rest of you? Does the idea have any appeal?

X12YrOldPWNSX
01/22/13 4:43 am

Will you care to donate to the Everyone Is Rich and Spoiled In My Hood that I Know Fund

X12YrOldPWNSX
01/22/13 4:32 am

Yes but unless its a

Pepper spray tester
Dentist
Human test dummy or
Suicide Bomber

freetobeme146
01/21/13 8:50 pm

Touché. But the kind of career I'm pursuing is lower salary and its something I'd enjoy so I was thinking about that

onetruth California
01/21/13 8:48 pm

Germany still has that from what I am told.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
01/21/13 8:44 pm

Care to donate to the pinky charity fund? ;)

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
01/21/13 8:43 pm

Hey, front line infantry wouldn't be a bad job with the right training.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
01/21/13 8:42 pm

Who says you have to have a lower salary? It's not guaranteed, but it's not out of the question either.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
01/21/13 8:39 pm

No. I like my freedom, and I plan on making BILLIONS!!!

natedog47
01/21/13 7:34 pm

They always say get a career you love snd you'll never work a day in your life. I'd much prefer happiness ovwr wealth.

tasalley North Carolina
01/21/13 7:22 pm

The declaration of independence states that one of person's inalienable rights is the pursuit of happiness, as in choosing one's own profession. The former USSR had a system where students were tested and assigned their level of education, their major and finally their profession.

GrandmaALiCE
01/21/13 7:04 pm

Tony, how about a private messaging system in SOH? Let's say I want to write a personal email to a user, without posting it publicly. I realize there are potential privacy issues. Perhaps, it could be opt in, similar to notifications. Challenging, but something to think about (in your "spare time").

GrandmaALiCE
01/21/13 6:58 pm

Xjlr, you are absolutely right! You are not worth arguing with. Like Susan, I will not bother responding to any of your future posts.

Just for the record, I never said I don't value money. Feel free to look through my previous posts and verify this. But, I won't be responding.

xjlr002 Texas
01/21/13 6:39 pm

you want people for some reason to believe you have values that make you above us that do value money. @least all of the others stopped responding since I made a point to let you know that I was simply doing this to get a rise out of you. We can keep this up but you have to get a better argument

xjlr002 Texas
01/21/13 6:36 pm

Whoami18 -- if we are now talking about what's "funny" I have to say you have me rolling! Why you might ask? Because you are still responding to me. As far as you and other lying, that's simple. There obviously no reason for me to lie however there is a reason you would...

GrandmaALiCE
01/21/13 6:23 pm

I laughed out loud, at your second post, where you accuse me and others of lying. Why would anybody bother to lie about this? Thanks for the chuckle!

Your first post makes sense, where you state that people have different opinions and both sides are legit. Let's just leave it at that, ok?

xjlr002 Texas
01/21/13 5:23 pm

@whoami18 -- I could've done this for days and you would still be replying. You responded because you like some of the others are liars and I called you on it.

xjlr002 Texas
01/21/13 5:21 pm

@whoiam18 -- HA HA HA! Felt like I was losing the argument? That's funny since it wasn't really an argument to lose. You had your opinion (which was bogus) but nonetheless yours. And I had mine. Neither was wrong or right. Quite funny that you think I decided to go with that since I was losing.

01/21/13 5:01 pm

Thanks, whoami!

effy
01/21/13 4:46 pm

Well I chose this job & it turns out to be like working for the devil in the pits of hell so I'll take a little extra money & gamble on what the job is. Doubtful that I could hate anything worse than my current employer.

01/21/13 2:25 pm

And probably hold her (other) drugs.

FreeBird1
01/21/13 2:24 pm

I think people on the internets are full of shit.

GrandmaALiCE
01/21/13 1:55 pm

Susan, fwiw, I believe that he was quite serious. He felt that he was losing the argument, so suddenly, "I was just trying to get a rise out of you."

01/21/13 1:46 pm

Delighted we could "entertain" you, but I'll be remembering that that "getting a rise out of you folks" and "messing with y'all" is what does it for you, and I'll save my breath the next time I see your user name on a comment.

GrandmaALiCE
01/21/13 1:41 pm

Great story, Susan! Thanks for sharing.

01/21/13 1:38 pm

I didn't even look for a job in any other city, but I know I could have made more money if I'd been offered one in many other places. My mom died two years after I moved back, and my dad three years after that, so I've been very very glad that I chose to spend time with them. Again, VALUES. Not $$.

01/21/13 1:35 pm

It's not off topic. It doesn't pertain to employment, but it does relate to your initial claim about "money doesn't matter." And in fact, I took the position I did (as a postdoc at a medical school) in order to move back near my aging parents, especially because of my mother's poor health. ..

01/21/13 1:30 pm

Actually I could have pursued a government position, although I doubt it would have offered "buckets." I did my doctoral work in a government lab (NIOSH) and it might have been an easy route. Didn't pursue that; wasn't interested. (Although I did enjoy working in my lab during grad school,)

01/21/13 1:28 pm

..it was just dismissed. But we never, ever, wavered even once about not accepting all that tempting money they offered. Because of our values.

xjlr002 Texas
01/21/13 1:27 pm

Susanr -- your argument is null and void. Not only is it completely off topic but the lame attempt to make it sound valid by changing how you present it is funny. I was messing with y'all but you are making it too hard to stop!

01/21/13 1:26 pm

..and at the end they were offering us, essentially, "buckets of money." We weren't the only ones they wanted easements from, and everyone else said no too. They could have taken it by eminent domain, and came close. Eventually it went to court. Our expert witnesses against theirs. Eventually..

01/21/13 1:24 pm

...Wed seen the surrounding mountains, away from roads, from the air & it looked awful. We got ourselves educated, walked the land they wanted to cut, & decided not to agree to it. They offered more money. We said no. They offered more money. We said no. This went on for a couple years..

xjlr002 Texas
01/21/13 1:23 pm

I was literally only attempting to get a rise out of you folks. Don't lose sleep over me trying to argue. It was all a big bunch entertainment for me. You can stop responding now because I will just continue to make up arguments to have

01/21/13 1:21 pm

...we had a government guy offering us a bunch of money (can't remember how much but it was multi-thousands) for primary easement over our road - so the BLM could drive above our land and cut trees. Our land had been mostly clear cut years before; land below us was being partial-cut right then...

01/21/13 1:18 pm

I never said it was a government *position.* I said it was government *money.* I used it as an example to support my contention that my values can't be bought. Long time ago, I lived with a group if people who bought land near the top of a mountain in Oregon. Before we even moved into the land...

01/21/13 1:14 pm

Oh. I thought you were talking about people like me, because I think I often sound rather whiney. Thanks!

GrandmaALiCE
01/21/13 1:14 pm

I explained to you in my earlier reply. I never said money isn't important. I said that it isn't the MOST important thing.

Remember, by the terms of the question, you are giving up the freedom to make your own career choice - for the rest of your life. You will be quite stuck!

xjlr002 Texas
01/21/13 1:12 pm

Whoami18 -- it doesn't matter to me if I'm believed. I'm stating a fact. Nobody has asked me to justify it simply because its truth. No reason. On the other hand I'm hearing some opinions that need to be justified in order to be true. No need for folks to lie on a forum like this...

xjlr002 Texas
01/21/13 1:09 pm

susanr -- by all means, share? What gov position did you turn buckets of money and what do you do now? I have no issue saying that I'm wrong when I'm wrong but until you prove me that way, I will stick to what I know....that is when people are lying, I know

GrandmaALiCE
01/21/13 1:08 pm

If we believe you, you should return the courtesy and believe other people. I didn't say that money is of no importance. I said that my freedom if career choice is more important than money.

GrandmaALiCE
01/21/13 1:05 pm

I certainly believe you, that you would make that choice. In my opinion, it's a poor trade off. You might end with something you hate even more. But, you no longer have the freedom to leave the new job. You are stuck in it forever. Too risky, in my opinion.

xjlr002 Texas
01/21/13 1:01 pm

All this value and money isn't important jibberish is hurting my head. If money isn't important then by all means volunteer, work for free, that's more for the rest of us who do care!

01/21/13 12:59 pm

You're quite wrong, xljr. It's pretty insulting that you admit you don't know me but you essentially accuse me if lying. I will be happy to explain the situation I referred to.

I do not lie.

Except for the very rare "white lie" to spare someone's feelings. This is not one of those instances.

xjlr002 Texas
01/21/13 12:59 pm

I simply said that I would give up the ability to "choose" my own career for a guaranteed $100k per yr because I don't make that now. I dislike my current position. Why wouldn't I change? That is my argument. Worst case scenario I do something ELSE I dislike and make more doing it..guaranteed!