Show Of Hands July 17th, 2012 12:00am

Do you generally have the same political beliefs as your parents?

ohai
07/22/12 9:42 pm

My mother is a Democrat. My father is a Republican. I'm an independent. Along the lines of a libertarian, I guess.

ishady 86451132020
07/22/12 3:14 am

They got older and more conservative. We argue a lot.

07/21/12 9:45 pm

My father is a liberal, my mother a conservative. I took after my father.

PartyFree Nowhere in Particular
07/20/12 12:28 am

I'm the "bleeding-heart liberal" of the family. Both of my parents, my stepmom, and 4 of my 5 siblings are staunch republicans, and the 5th sibling is a libertarian. I'm actually a moderate who is proudly not affiliated with any political party (hence the name PartyFree)

montie AnCap and proud
07/19/12 6:04 am

I saw democrats protesting with their 8 year old children! And we republicans are brainwashing our kids!

prettylazy
07/19/12 1:33 am

My parents are hardcore conservatives. I'm a hard core libertarian. Whenever drug legalization or abortion comes up, it's a pretty funny conversation.

07/18/12 11:48 pm

Ha! No! Not. Even. Close.

JFradley Hawaii
07/18/12 10:39 pm

No, I grew up and formulated my own opinions.

m2jchello California
07/18/12 10:38 pm

We are becoming a more Democratic nation

Dream Hogwarts
07/18/12 9:12 pm

Kinda. I am pro-life and I know that at least my mom is pro-choice.

Doopy Remedial Americanism
07/18/12 8:47 pm

RJ, well you clearly can't all come over at once. Do you want me to let you know next time we're at each other's throats?

offbeat California
07/18/12 6:09 pm

P.S. Great comments ace123 and INDPNT!

offbeat California
07/18/12 6:06 pm

My mom's a democrat, dad's a republican, so I had first hand experience learning that both parties are full of sh**.

Groupthink is for weaklings.

Learn about something fully and from all sides, then form your own opinion. Then maybe you can call yourself free.

Brrrrrrrrr
07/18/12 4:42 pm

Of course, the alternative is that the children weren't thinking for themselves, but rather rebelling. But as we've seen, democrats aren't too excited about this hypothesis.

Brrrrrrrrr
07/18/12 4:41 pm

Nonsense, if 50% of democrats come from opposing view parents, then obviously republican parents allow their children to think for themselves. You think you can be generally opposed to what your rents believe and be in the same party?

bigbadbear
07/18/12 3:37 pm

Republicans raise children who never think for themselves and question what they were indoctrinated with growing up. SHOCKING!

L1B3RTAR1AN Virginia
07/18/12 9:19 am

I'm a libertarian and I don't even know if my parents are aware that's a thing.

montie AnCap and proud
07/18/12 8:54 am

My mom and dad bouth are republicans. My family even my aunt who is a teacher are republicans.

Wes28 CBus
07/18/12 8:49 am

Well I used to be very liberal...and then I got my first paycheck.

yepnope Maryland
07/18/12 8:44 am

In other words, was is positive persuasion or negative mostly? Or 50/50?

yepnope Maryland
07/18/12 8:43 am

Annan, I'm curious who persuaded you to be super conservative? A person? An organization? Did they say why their views are better or why the other views are bad?

annam
07/18/12 8:08 am

The biggest indicator of which party your allegiance will be to is your parents. It is proven. Yes, there are some exceptions, like myself, but generally you follow your parents. I'm the black sheep politically in my family. May dad has only voted Republican once, and yet I am super Conservative

BriD Illinois
07/18/12 7:23 am

Yes, now that they have fully evolved to being Democrats...!

07/18/12 6:47 am

My dad is a Tea Party like Conservative Republican, and my mom (RIP) was a liberal Democrat. I am a moderate/independent..if that makes sense

DaKernal Colorado
07/18/12 5:00 am

The most important thing we can give our children is a thorough understanding of The Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. They will be prepared to make their choice.

JustinR
07/18/12 4:48 am

Dad is a republican and moms a democrat. I'm a republican!

kytoaltoky
07/18/12 4:04 am

@durza. Noone is pretending. Many of us honestly don't push a political agenda (or religious philosophy) on our children. I don't need my children to share my distinct opinions. They should learn to think critically and independently. A good idea must stand on its own merits or else be rejected.

Ariella LovePeaceNHappiness
07/18/12 1:31 am

Dad is a republican, my mom is a democrat. I was independent, but I finally chose democrat.

RogueMom In a Hand Basket
07/18/12 1:03 am

My parents do not vote because they cancel each other's vote

lou1 Washington
07/18/12 12:55 am

I have one ultra-liberal, by-the-party-line, blue-blooded democrat parent and one fiscally-conservative, politically libertarian-ish, 'but-I'm-voting-GOP' parent. I am purely independent, I vote based on candidate and issue, without regard for party affiliation. Mom:Obama, Dad:Romney, me:Ron Paul

jobosno Charlotte, NC
07/17/12 11:57 pm

There's a difference between ensuring your child is up to your standard of morality and forcing political opinions on them.

jobosno Charlotte, NC
07/17/12 11:56 pm

All these people whining about how the other side brainwashes their children. I don't know a single who person who has ever claimed their parents had an influence, nor a set of parents that deliberately instills that. You follow the rules of the house, and your parents try to instill correct values.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
07/17/12 11:18 pm

I'm pro life. They weren't. I'm for civil rights. Actively worked for them in the 60s. They weren't thrilled. I'm for gay rights and mainly a republican. They weren't.

Brrrrrrrrr
07/17/12 11:06 pm

It's funny when thinking for your self is considered rebellious, but not funny when agreeing with your parents is considered sheepism?

This is what is called a double standard, another speciality of the left.

07/17/12 10:58 pm

Annoying how democrats pretend like they dont force democracy unto their kids

thekoon TX
07/17/12 10:33 pm

Dads moderate, leans conservative, mom is liberal but uninformed, I'm more of a libertarian/tea party supporter

veritas1 Panda
07/17/12 9:52 pm

@bop. ALMOST funny? Brrrrr is equating thinking for one's self with being "rebellious" to defend the indoctrination. This is as good as it gets.

lhack
07/17/12 9:51 pm

Mom's conservative (retired professor) dad is a democrat (business owner) Glad to have been raised to think for myself and make my own choices, and to respect other's opinions and beliefs. I see more eye-to-eye politically with my father.

bop
07/17/12 9:42 pm

brrrr you're so wrong it's almost funny.

bop
07/17/12 9:42 pm

brrrr you're so wrong it's almost funny.

RJ1969 SoCal
07/17/12 9:28 pm

Ok, it's a deal.

When can we all come over?

Doopy Remedial Americanism
07/17/12 8:30 pm

Anyone who thinks conservatives are drones should watch my very conservative dad and very conservative me talk about anything but worldview.

We can have a day-long argument over the best way to cut back blackberries. The only reason we don't argue about politics much is that we're both right.

Cragaleus2
07/17/12 8:19 pm

This question assumes my parents agree on anything political.
My father is conservative on virtually every issue and my mom is liberal on virtually every issue.
You don't get a free pass for being politically retarded just because you agree with the local consensus in my family.

CommonCent
07/17/12 8:12 pm

32, I feel really sorry for you and your warped, narrow minded view of anyone who opposes your view of the World.
Living with so much hate and anger based on nothing more than myths is a horrible way to go through life.
Get a grip man.