gonzoboy Arizona
09/06/12 8:12 am

Actually, though I said "Mountain", I like a little o' both, 'hybrid' if you will. My Cannondale Caffeine F1, with all-terrain tires, is perfect for me. A tip for anyone wanting to go hybrid: Ditch the rear suspension.

DeathSheep Michigan
09/04/12 7:53 pm

Mountain. I like somewhere with a lot of hills so the gears are nice

cwleduc
09/04/12 10:11 am

Mountain bike on the road. I don't like pedal clips or skinny tires, I'm not coordinated enough, and fall over!

09/04/12 1:09 am

Mountain bikes are cooler looking

hbmyers13
09/03/12 6:23 am

i do city bike tours and riding to a bagel shop near by

PW
09/02/12 11:48 am

can I choose both?? I LOVE CYCLING!! Road and Mountain

23 Texas
09/02/12 9:31 am

Mountain biking kicks ass :]

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
09/01/12 11:15 pm

choose between cycling and going a super long route around construction. I stand as a cycling activist! Go cycling! Go physical activity (of any kind)! Go education! Yeah!

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
09/01/12 11:15 pm

There's a reason I like big cities with bike lanes… I also despise sidewalk riding, yet hate driving ill-informed motorists crazy by being in their lane. The only problem is something called dooring. Hehe. But, you know, there was a recent (within the last 2 years) incident in CA where you had to…

hvp828 Carolina girl
09/01/12 7:29 pm

I have both, but answered road since I probably ride it more.

Kay41 the Midwest
09/01/12 7:17 pm

I actually have a hybrid and ride between 40-100 miles a week in the nice weather. But I ride trails in the area...never on the roads. I am lucky to have several very long trails nearby.

because South Dakota
09/01/12 5:23 pm

but, I'll take my ATV over both of them

lmurder MDK
09/01/12 5:08 pm

@btchst hahaha love it and good point.

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
09/01/12 4:53 pm

Hah! Road bikes?! Here??? Only in northern va! Down here it's either sidewalk (and kill your tires) or on the road with people going 50-65 mph!! Of course there are a few places to bike, but transportation-wise, using a road bike is useless.

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
09/01/12 4:52 pm

@zod: That's what's wrong with America. People here think bikes are only for children! No wonder we're so fucking fat...

lmurder MDK
09/01/12 4:44 pm

@dbonne1992 before there were cars there were bikes. I believe the world and road is big enough for you and your road rage ways.

lmurder MDK
09/01/12 4:39 pm

I bet a majority of the people who did this poll haven't been on a bike in 5 years.

dbonee199921
09/01/12 4:11 pm

For the love of god, all bicyclist, please get off the road!! Go to a freaking park. You bicycle is not a motor vehicle. You have to feel like a complete a$$hole while riding your bike and clogging the road up with 20 cars behind you! If you don't feel it, everyone behind you is calling you that

eltigretom Colorado
09/01/12 3:50 pm

How in hell is Colorado road bike?

praetorianus65
09/01/12 3:40 pm

Passing a bicycle where passing a car is not allowed is also illegal.
What I don't like is bicycles on the sidewalk - it's a sideWALK not a sideride.
Bicycles belong on the road and cars have to respect them like any other vehicle.

twotired
09/01/12 3:33 pm

Kelly, you can go fuck yourself. Cyclists have just as much legal right to use the road as cars unless otherwise posted. Unless you've ever ridden on the shoulder, you probably don't know the shoulder is littered with trash and debris making it unsafe to ride. I hope someone runs you off the road.

gonk In a psychology textbook
09/01/12 2:53 pm

I have a mountain bike that I ride on the roads. I love my bike. He's my best friend. <3

jms in the middle of Nowhere
09/01/12 2:21 pm

I have a mtn. Bike but would love a road bike. I trained for my 1st triathlon on a mtn. bike and borrowed a road bike for the race. WOW!! I cruised up a mile-long, steep hill like it was nothing!! On my mtn. bike, it was a struggle but not at all on the road bike!!! Would love to join the club here.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
09/01/12 1:57 pm

I'm assuming the little kid kind with no motor. Mountain bike. Skinny-tire Lance wannabe bikes don't work very well outside of the big city - most roads in my area are gravel. Dual Sports, Adventure Tourers, and Jeeps work great though, once you're old enough to get a license.

praetorianus65
09/01/12 1:44 pm

But IF road then a city cruiser with broad saddle and high handlebars not a ballbuster saddle and low bars - I'm not the hunchback of Notre Dame.
Tricycle is even better.

praetorianus65
09/01/12 1:42 pm

I'm not a bike fan but voted mountain or better BMX or dirt bike just like I'd vote off roader for cars - getting where other vehicles of the same type cannot is more important to me than speed. To boldly go where no bike has gone before.

KellyPA Pennsylvania
09/01/12 1:39 pm

Road bikes are lame. If I see you on the side of the road- correction- IN the road (since apparently 95% of road bikers can't stay on the shoulder) wearing a goofy helmet and spandex, I probably want to hit you. S2S.

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
09/01/12 12:47 pm

I can complete 15 miles on a rolling road course in about an hour, a super technical 15 mile long trail however, I understand can take high level amateurs a whole day to complete. And btw, on that same rolling course, pros can complete it in less than a half hour easily (and yesthat'swithoutdoping).

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
09/01/12 12:47 pm

Road bike. I go for speed! Burn my legs going on all three grades and fly along at the same speed as the cars! Yeah! But MTBs do give way more flexibility, and can be so much fun on a good technical trail. So, 98% road cycling and 2% mountain cycling just for fun, that's my plan…

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
09/01/12 12:40 pm

Stationary...I'm not a bike enthusiast. :)

09/01/12 12:20 pm

I actually prefer a hybrid bike. Sometimes real life is a little more nuanced.

eshelmsc York, PA
09/01/12 12:08 pm

I wish SOH would stop posting these boring, non-controversial questions. Do you prefer bottled water or filtered tap? Uh, who the heck cares. Give us more politics, science and religion.

EarlyBird Portland
09/01/12 11:59 am

Malibog brought up a good point. Why don't they come up with a good road bike with different handle bars?

silverado
09/01/12 11:22 am

Hybrid mountain/road bike that is.

silverado
09/01/12 11:21 am

Mountain for fun, hybrid for commute.

09/01/12 10:42 am

@frostedmin that hipster bike became mainstream. Think of something new.

09/01/12 10:42 am

Road biking is so mainstream.

branrun Virginia
09/01/12 10:22 am

Mountain bike cus
1. Can go mountain biking
2. Still can go on road
3. Better exercise
4. Can go on bigger ramps without popping tires
5. Smother ride

FrostedMin California
09/01/12 10:03 am

I tried mountain biking but it was waaaay too hard. I have one of those hipster vintage bikes that I sometimes ride around.

malibog 12309
09/01/12 9:09 am

Road bike weight and gearing but have mountain bike handlebars so I don't have to ride hunched over.

09/01/12 8:54 am

Road bike for the road. Sure with a mountain bike you can use it anywhere, but you have to peddle twice as much as a person with a road bike.