Show Of Hands January 20th, 2013 12:00am

Many states make it illegal to hold and use a cell phone while driving. Should it also be illegal to eat while driving?

NoblEst
01/23/13 2:39 pm

Stop controlling us!! What's next?

Cabur
01/23/13 5:51 am

Better yet let us use paintballs while driving, so we can mark the idiots. Then you can see at a glance who you need to watch out for

Cabur
01/23/13 5:43 am

"There are lies, damn lies, and then there are statistics" mark twain.

Basically you can make statistics say anything you want. Just ask one homeless person if they are an alcoholic. If they say yes then 100% of homeless are alcoholics. See?

deathvalley Chicago native
01/23/13 4:05 am

From McDonald's? Why be difficult, id spit in your food.

misterzero West Virginia
01/22/13 9:36 pm

Maybe try ordering your hamburger minus the items in question instead of having to pick them off every time.

misterzero West Virginia
01/22/13 9:32 pm

I can eat or drink with one hand while looking ahead and steering with my other hand. When I want to put something down, its easy to do and doesn't require me to look. My eyes are on the road the whole time. Texting requires you to look down at the screen at least momentarily at some point, it is al

RogueMom In a Hand Basket
01/22/13 12:17 pm

Does what distracts me distract you? Probably not. We're all diff.

Don't drive and eat if you can't walk and chew gum. Also, don't create a law that Officer Krumke can pull me over b/c he sees me pop a fry in my mouth like he can if he sees my cell.

This isn't rocket science, it's responsibility

RogueMom In a Hand Basket
01/22/13 12:15 pm

Driving distracted IS AREADY illegal. If you are in an accident the fines you get will increase if the officer finds you were "distracted" and caused an accident.
If you don't cause an accident were you distracted? Are all accidents only accidents b/c someone was distracted? No.

jedigdi
01/22/13 11:57 am

Thank you, Delaware, for not being a bunch of hypocrites.
Either food, make-up, cell phones, et al get lumped together as the potential distractions that they are, OR people stop trying to legislate their way to (their version of) "perfection."
Personally, I prefer government to stay out. Thanks.

HGolightly California
01/22/13 8:45 am

Where does it end? Next it will be you can't chew gum and drive. After that it will be you can't listen to the radio and drive.

DrReid Ever present.
01/22/13 12:42 am

I agree with you on the absolutes, but those silly laws allow the people to go after those who endanger others. So eat at your own risk, but of you get caught, be happy that the cost is only 200$ and not your life.

tabbser
01/21/13 11:15 pm

It's called distracted driving.

8455 Missouri
01/21/13 11:09 pm

A # 1 from Sonic No!! A Baconator yes

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
01/21/13 10:46 pm

The point is, anything and everything can be a distraction. Banning things won't get rid of reckless driving. Stiffer penalties for reckless driving will.

lebneniye85
01/21/13 8:44 pm

Your kids are not a distraction unless they need your physical help, billboards u read it for a quick second and don't need to move your hands to read it. Use your common sense when you're eating you're using your hands, u might spill and that can easily be distracting

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
01/21/13 8:27 pm

Well said. We need to take the legislators back down to part-time status. They feel like they need to be making new laws all the time when they're full-time.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
01/21/13 8:24 pm

Stupid, stupid, stupid. The key is to focus on the driving, not ban the eating.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
01/21/13 8:22 pm

So...kids should be illegal? The radio? Billboards? Other drivers? Think things through before you post something silly.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
01/21/13 8:21 pm

The only thing that laws banning 'fill-in-the-blank and driving' accomplish, is that people do things in their lap instead of up on the steering wheel, taking their eyes even further off the road. The end result is even more dangerous than the initial cause of the legislation.

lebneniye85
01/21/13 7:10 pm

Anything distracting should be illegal.

chi
01/21/13 7:04 pm

It shouldn't be illegal to do either.

EarlyBird Portland
01/21/13 7:02 pm

I've read your post 3 times and can't understand what you're saying. Sorry. Care to clarify?

RogueMom In a Hand Basket
01/21/13 6:17 pm

RAND: I'm so sorry to tell you, but I survived my 6 hour drive. I didn't die, like you had hoped I would. My dearest apologies.

effy
01/21/13 4:43 pm

I said no but I dont kno the statistics on car accidents caused by drivers eating so I could be swayed. It's about public safety but by infringing on individuals as little as possible.

LIKEABOSS3
01/21/13 4:28 pm

this is america, people like their food!

deathvalley Chicago native
01/21/13 3:46 pm

Actually I think eating while driving is much more dangerous!
I'm the type who needs to take things off my hamburger or dip my tacos in hot sauce...
Actually a suburb of Chicago here called oak park has made eating while driving illegal!

dreamitliveit IDLH
01/21/13 3:23 pm

Turn signals are ALWAYS optional in New Mexico! ????

Panmax
01/21/13 2:06 pm

I need snacks to stay awake while driving long distances... I guess my drive time will increase in an effort to avoid a crazy law like this.

andy123
01/21/13 1:32 pm

Next we will have to have our hands tied to the wheel!!!!

lmurder MDK
01/21/13 12:05 pm

They were drinking out of a jack Daniels bottle.

sarah1911 Poolesville MD
01/21/13 11:42 am

I said yes because it should be illegal to eat foods that that take your eyes off the road.

ladyniner81 Embrace your inner dork
01/21/13 11:30 am

what if you spill stuff?? when I was driving, my car was DIRTY due to me eating certain stuff and drinking stuff... but if I get to drive again..I'm banning myself. ..

RandFan Headed to IPhone rehab
01/21/13 10:59 am

It gets brought up when people claim the law has no place in a car on a public road, but has business in a woman's uterus.

forallepsilon Fullerton
01/21/13 10:52 am

I agree except for the pets. A chihuahua isn't always distracting but who freakin reads??

lazel fandom rehab
01/21/13 10:50 am

FREE-EATERS!!!!!!!!!

forallepsilon Fullerton
01/21/13 10:50 am

Obviously you shouldn't eat with chopsticks while driving, but if it's like a burger - which uses one hand - what's the big deal. This is covered under reckless driving statutes.

freetobeme146
01/21/13 10:45 am

I like how God and political views are brought into a conversation about eating and driving.

juseaus
01/21/13 10:26 am

Absolutely not! What about those who r diabetic, hypoglycemic or have other health issues that make eating while driving a necessity to ensure our safety? & with rising health costs, there r likely to be many w/undiagnosed conditions so even creating a medical license to eat & drive is unreasonable!

RogueMom In a Hand Basket
01/21/13 9:55 am

What about an open gum container? Would that count? Or mints?

RogueMom In a Hand Basket
01/21/13 9:54 am

So it's like drinking and driving. Any open food will cost you extra $$. Even if you ordered your food in a drive thru, ate half while parked in the parking lot and then went back to work. If the officer sees eaten food he can assume it's yours and that you were eating while driving?

RandFan Headed to IPhone rehab
01/21/13 9:51 am

It's not necessarily a sole reason for getting pulled over, but it's an additional citation.

Unwrapped semi eaten food is a bit of giveaway.

RogueMom In a Hand Basket
01/21/13 9:38 am

And as much as my heart is just pumping with anticipation for your epic retort, I must make my 6 hour drive home now. The one that you hope I die on. So understand if I don't respond. I'll email instructions to my friend to message you during my funeral. Thanks for the warm wishes

RogueMom In a Hand Basket
01/21/13 9:36 am

Rand: So cops should be able to judge on the spot if they think they witness a "distracted" activity and write you a ticket? You want to give the power to Officer Krumke to write you a ticket based on his definition of "distracted?"

RandFan Headed to IPhone rehab
01/21/13 9:34 am

Safe driving is an activity that requires unfettered use of two hands, two legs (unless you have a special vehicle outfitted for use by the physically disabled, and an unblocked field of view. Any activity that reduces that is a danger to yourself and those around you.

RogueMom In a Hand Basket
01/21/13 9:30 am

Can a cop pull you over if your hands are not on 10 and 2? How far would you like to take this, Rand?

RogueMom In a Hand Basket
01/21/13 9:27 am

Let's go back to topic. Define distracted for me. Getting really into a song on the radio, being blinded by the morning sun, having a dirty windshield, having a screaming baby in the car, being hungry, having to pee, being sick, having an argument, having a ringing phone, eating soup, eating fries

RogueMom In a Hand Basket
01/21/13 9:24 am

It's okay, Rand, you aren't the first angry troll I've met. What was illogical in MY arguements with you below?

RandFan Headed to IPhone rehab
01/21/13 9:23 am

Oh! The willful ignorance of facts that contradict & point out the fallacy of your ideology, your contempt for those who have been harmed by your policies, and the psychotic love of guns.

How is the world better with you and your kind in it?

chile safer than congress
01/21/13 9:20 am

Bad things about eating while driving:
- cereal is difficult
- burritos require salsa, and that requires a copilot
- things don't taste as good when rushed
- hot scalding drips tend to cause spontaneous swerving
- turn signals become optional
- stop signs become yield signs (cant spill your drink)