Show Of Hands August 14th, 2012 12:00am

Should parents who leave their children in hot cars be prosecuted criminally if the kids suffer injury or death?

HolyBabble Mississippi
08/23/12 7:58 am

Just saw on the news this morning that a 6 month old died in Shreveport, LA after being accidentally left in a car when the father went to work.
Accidents happen.
93% of you answered this one incorrectly.

erica80 Iowa
08/22/12 6:07 pm

Can't say one way or the other.there is just too broad of a spectrum of circumstance.

jamjay Atlanta, Ga
08/20/12 6:54 pm

I hope that the dumb butt 7% do not ever spawn

08/20/12 1:07 am

It's way too difficult to give a blanket yes or no on this one. I have seen situations where I would say absolutely an others where I can see how the parent thought another older child had taken the younger one etc... It's not about being a bad parent it's about making a mistake. Punish always NO!

ishady 86451132020
08/19/12 3:02 am

I once got left in a hot car and my brain swelled and it gave me super powers.

TabooGoose
08/18/12 8:44 pm

What type of question is this?

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
08/18/12 8:26 am

No, I think that the lesson that they've just learned, and the funeral costs, are punishment enough. Although, if it happens twice, then there might be a case.

FearToFall what is this for
08/17/12 10:33 pm

My best friend's neighbour died about a year ago because he was left alone in the car in the hot sun and neither parent knew. Poor guy :[

cowboy Doors of Perception
08/17/12 11:30 am

That was kind of my point. The police have to regulate stupid people like that. It's a waste of time and money for something that should be instinct.

cowboy Doors of Perception
08/17/12 11:28 am

@jms It sounds like you made the right decision by adopting that kid. That woman is clueless. Good for you. Now keep that kid away from her as much as possible.

Brrrrrrrrr
08/17/12 12:33 am

By touching the 'no' option on their touchscreens.

jgonz
08/16/12 5:01 pm

How are people saying no to this?

jms in the middle of Nowhere
08/16/12 4:25 pm

stupid but you can help a child even if they aren't your own.

jms in the middle of Nowhere
08/16/12 4:25 pm

...lucky they didn't haul her sorry, stupid butt off to jail for neglect and endangerment. She is no longer allowed to take him alone anywhere and will NEVER be allowed to take him overnight.
So my opinion isn't just from ideas but actual life experience. No, you can't fix...

jms in the middle of Nowhere
08/16/12 4:24 pm

...K-mart for some milk!! Her excuse was that he wasn't feeling well and she didn't want to take him out in the cold, blah, blah, blah. Another customer saw him in the car and, thankfully, called the police. It was the middle of winter!! When SIL came out, she had to answer to the police. She's...

jms in the middle of Nowhere
08/16/12 4:24 pm

I allowed my SIL to take her biological grandson (our adopted son) for the night this past winter. I had a gut instinct to say no but thought I was being paranoid. That was a Friday. It wasn't until late Saturday evening that I found out she had left him in the car, no heat on, and went into...

jms in the middle of Nowhere
08/16/12 4:15 pm

Cowboy- its not about regulating anything or saving the world. It's about saving a child's life. And in my town, it doesn't take an hour for police to show up. If you tell the 911 operator there is a child in a hot car, I would be surprised if it took more than 5-10 minutes anywhere in the country.

cowboy Doors of Perception
08/16/12 2:48 pm

@jam So you would waste a good hour waiting for the police to show up? Then give them a report? Or wait until mom or dad come out to scold them? A stupid person just loves it when strangers try to tell them how to raise their kids. During the fight someone will call police. Problem solved.

cowboy Doors of Perception
08/16/12 2:43 pm

@jms You can't regulate stupidity. We try to with ridiculous laws, but it doesn't really help. It just crowds jailhouses and cost a lot of money. My kids are safe with me. I'm not going around thumping "It Takes a Village" on everybody's head. But if you want to try to save the world, good luck.

bop
08/16/12 2:29 pm

Depends on the age of the child. A 5 year old is perfectly capable of opening the door a crack

DeathSheep Michigan
08/16/12 1:43 pm

@holybabble

Yes well you can accidentally run someone over, sheet them, knock them over a cliff, etc. and those people would get charged

HolyBabble Mississippi
08/16/12 1:26 pm

.... but as I said before and others have said, if it's an accident then they should not be charged. I still can't believe 94% voted yes. Obviously most people on here aren't thinking this through.

HolyBabble Mississippi
08/16/12 1:26 pm

I think the main reason this question was asked was because of the tragic events we hear every summer about kids being accidentally left in cars; and not about parents who intentionally leave them in the car while they go into a bar to drink or a casino to gamble. We all know they should be charged.

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
08/16/12 12:38 pm

@racedogg (and others who ask how it could be an accident)

Google the subject. It happens a lot to parents who never meant for this to happen to their kids.

Humor me on this and Google the subject.

dcool Detroit
08/16/12 11:56 am

I know a couple who had this happen. Mom put the child in the Dad's car to take to day care. Dad usually didn't do this. Completely forgot and drove to work (baby slept). Baby died. There's no punishment that would be worse than what they went through and still are going through.

jms in the middle of Nowhere
08/16/12 11:52 am

Cowboy- you really surprise me on this. You really would ignore a child in a closed-up car on a hot day?? I totally get the whole "mind your own business" thing but really?? You show a total lack of human compassion with this one. And usually I agree with what you say. Not today!!!

08/16/12 11:36 am

Lady here leaves baby in her car and her excuse? "I forgot" how the fuck do you forget about your own child in your car?? lock your ass up for extreme stupidity..

BondiBaby Nebraska
08/16/12 9:02 am

I have to comment on this.If it was intentional or negligence because a driver was drunk or high, yes. But if it truly was accidental (and this happens allot) they suffer enough knowing their actions caused their child's death. I am a 15 year police veteran who worked 13yrs in patrol,2 plainclothes.

shannynh Arizona via SF Bay Area
08/16/12 8:26 am

We all know the risks, to knowingly leave a child in that is criminal. If I saw a child in a car, I'd at least let the business know so they can announce there's a child in a hot car and give them a chance to get out there first.

EarlyBird Portland
08/16/12 7:48 am

And the thing is "hot" doesn't have to mean 90. They've shown that a car parked in the sun on a day of 75, will hear the inside of a car up to 95 with windows only cracked.

Perot4Prez
08/16/12 6:37 am

Put them in jail where they are not likely to produce any more children

ishady 86451132020
08/16/12 1:36 am

If that was a fetus in a hot car would you call them cowboy?

kaik12 Twin Cities, MN
08/15/12 11:59 pm

Absolutely. That would be called negligence. VERY bad parenting. My parents leave me in the car when they're running into a store quick, but I choose to stay in the car with either the windows open or the AC on. But I'm also 19 and can tell if I'm getting too hot. A baby or young child cannot.

jam8807 Havelock, NC
08/15/12 11:44 pm

@cowboy You wouldn't call 911? I get that, if it's not hot/sunny. But what if it's warm/hot out? The kid could very well DIE! They can't regulate their temperature like adults can. I hope that when you say if you saw them playing games you are inferring that they are perfectly fine and it's not hot

tdyakker lost
08/15/12 8:30 pm

There is NO PLACE you could be where you need to leave a child in a car alone for any amount of time! They are too precious and important to be disregarded like that! If you need to go somewhere that is not appropriate then please leave the child at home!

snafu Washington
08/15/12 7:52 pm

I can't believe this is even a question...

FakeSound Arizona
08/15/12 6:55 pm

This will be happening more and more often too...

optimist6 Fort Wayne, IN
08/15/12 6:37 pm

Even if they forget, and I'm almost ALWAYS compassionate and understanding of justice, they should spend 40 years in prison. That'll teach them a lesson. Here's the thing-IF YOU FORGET TO LEAVE A CHILD IN A HOT CAR, THAT IS YOUR OWN FAULT. IT IS YOUR CHILD AND YOU SHOULD TAKE CARE OF HIM/HER!

08/15/12 5:56 pm

People should be prosecuted for leaving kids and pets.

ipad2lover
08/15/12 5:21 pm

Who are the 6% MFers who say "no"????? Those people scare me.

uturn55 Florida
08/15/12 5:13 pm

I say lock them up and if the child is okay take it away from them and give it to someone with more than half a brain!

uturn55 Florida
08/15/12 5:13 pm

Anyone who doesn't want the child can just leave them in a hot car and all they have to say is OOPS I made a mistake and get away with it. Who's to say if something is intentional or not.

08/15/12 4:43 pm

Intentional or not, it's clear negligence of a minor. I don't see how you can get around that.

08/15/12 4:43 pm

Whoami I'm kind of confused as to what you mean. Do you mean a parent straight up forgets their child is in the car? I mean I'm usually very liberal and compassionate when it comes to criminal justice, but I think you have to punish them at least. I mean they caused the death of a child.