Show Of Hands January 19th, 2013 12:00am

You see your recently stolen bike locked up a short distance from your house. Do you "steal" it back?

Cman18
01/26/13 8:55 pm

Talk to them than if there's a special mark u remember on it and its there take it

whynotlive
01/25/13 5:47 pm

Yes but only if I'm SURE it's mine. (Distinguishing marks, etc.)

Julia123
01/23/13 4:40 pm

Just go ask them if you can take it back

FearToFall what is this for
01/23/13 3:40 am

Some kid took our scooters we had on our porch (and on top of that, my dad's cigarettes too). When my little brother went to the park a few days later, he saw the kid smoking the cigarettes and both the scooters on the ground. So he called the kid out on it and ran home with the scooters.

caligrl21 Huntington Beach
01/22/13 10:51 pm

Um excuse me u would be sorry if
U stole my bike because I use that shit to get to the beach and u my friend shall not get between me and my beach time

TinyPilot6 some little mountain town
01/22/13 4:30 pm

My stolen bike got re-stolen. If it isn't locked Imma borrow that shit!...I'll bring it back..eventually..

HGolightly California
01/22/13 8:47 am

This happened to me once! I confronted the person who stole it though.

Futurama St. Thomas Estate Fortuna
01/22/13 8:29 am

If the bike is mine than he'll yeah I'm taking my property back. You can't steal something that you own. If its someone else's ill call the cops.

megxxmarie
01/22/13 1:18 am

Hahah OF COURSE! I do that every time I notice that someone has something of mine. I left a head band at my friends house and noticed she began wearing it. I stole if back the
Next time I went over there.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
01/21/13 8:58 pm

What's wrong with my screen name? Nothing. That's what.

babyboomer1 The flatulance express
01/21/13 8:52 pm

Better research the law. So called citizens arrests are only for when
a crime is actually witnessed. And after reading some of your responses to other polls, I really wonder about your poster name.

susanr Colorado
01/21/13 8:21 pm

She didn't pursue it in court, but she did get Apple's legal dept. involved - If I remember right, he was an Apple employee & has submitted it to an internal contest (for desktop pics that they'd put in the next OS version maybe). Legal intervened & she dropped it.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
01/21/13 8:16 pm

Confront them with a shotgun if you want quick results.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
01/21/13 8:12 pm

I hope she got a civil award against the bastard.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
01/21/13 8:10 pm

If I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that it was my bike, I'd go get my rifle and lie in wait for the bastard that stole it. Not to shoot him, mind you. Just make him piss his pants and make a citizen's arrest.

cowboy Come on, man
01/21/13 7:51 pm

Yes. After I beat the kid who stole it. True story.

freetobeme146
01/21/13 5:23 pm

I can't believe you're trying to pick a fight via internet lol okay

susanr Colorado
01/21/13 5:14 pm

At least one person in the comments here has said that they called the cops about a located stolen bike & the cops did come.

susanr Colorado
01/21/13 5:12 pm

My daughter had a copyrighted photo online that someone stole & used in a contest. She found out, raised holy hell over it & the guy swore it was his, said had proof, etc. My daughter had the *film* that showed where the photo was cropped from the frame. She won.

effy
01/21/13 4:38 pm

I thought it was inherent in the question that for whatever reason u kno for sure it's yours. I live in NYC & ain't nobody got time to wait hours for the police who will prolly never come for what they see as trivial. Besides cant steal what's mine. If able, I would RETRIEVE my property.

Knox45 Yellow Brick Road
01/21/13 2:27 pm

What would be funny is if you had the exact receipt for it (a pretty new bike) and you call the cops and he accused you of stealing "his" bike but you just give the cops the receipt like a boss. Haha!

trip2
01/21/13 12:26 pm

I call cops. Let them handle it.

freetobeme146
01/21/13 11:58 am

Because they usually have more important things to worry about. Why get involved in a dispute over a bicycle when there are more serious issues like rapes, drugs, etc.

sarah1911 Poolesville MD
01/21/13 11:52 am

Calling the cops is exactly what I'd do. Why wouldn't they take me seriously? Goes to show, put your name somewhere on everything.

kingmiles
01/21/13 11:35 am

How can you steal something that's yours?

freetobeme146
01/21/13 10:47 am

No cop would take you seriously if you called about someone stealing your bicycle. It might be the "right" thing to do but it wouldn't get anything accomplished.

deucemd
01/21/13 10:22 am

How do I know it's mine for sure? Did my dad write my name on it with a sharpie?

gonzoboy Arizona
01/21/13 7:41 am

I think it would be fun to enlist the aid of the entire cast of Neighborhood Watch volunteers, and throw this thieving neighbor a Block Party Intervention. I mean, really, the LEAST this kleptomaniac neighbor can do is go to a DIFFERENT neighborhood for their bicycle needs! :)

truth1 Florida
01/21/13 7:33 am

No, I wait for the thief to come back

RogueMom In a Hand Basket
01/21/13 6:42 am

There's a lot of factors to consider, & I'm appreciative that you were proactive, Dadstad, with helping the family. Where I live now I wouldn't hesitate walking up to someone's door that had my bike chained up. In Orlando I would have been way more hesitant. I'm glad people like u & susan exist. :D

Reneezii Exodus 20. 8 to 11
01/21/13 6:19 am

They wouldn't know it was YOU who stole it back unless you made a scene lol but I'd keep it inside after I stole it back.

Reneezii Exodus 20. 8 to 11
01/21/13 6:17 am

Clearly "fartdroid" is a mature, respectable, gentleman and deserves some compliments.

jamjay Atlanta, Ga
01/21/13 4:00 am

I do not steel it. I go and take it back - loudly.

tdaddy diversity
01/21/13 12:43 am

to booby trap the bike to really "get" the thief. (:

tdaddy diversity
01/21/13 12:42 am

Despite how much fun it would be if you could be sure you were stealing it back from the thief, what if you were stealing it from an innocent person who bought stolen property without any knowledge it was stolen? Would it still be right to steal it back? Similar reasoning applies if you decided...

extramorganary
01/20/13 11:37 pm

I really don't think stealing it back is the answer we're looking for here. You should call the cops or confront them. What happens when you steal it back and it turns out it isn't your bike?

jrw010
01/20/13 11:35 pm

@vstorm My bike has a serial number..

susanr Colorado
01/20/13 11:28 pm

Wow, that thing happened about 25 years ago and it still irritates me when I think about it, but it never occurred to me that it could have been a prank! I don't know why, but that makes me feel better about it, so THANK YOU! Wish they'd dumped it somewhere nearby, though.

peacenskis Alaska
01/20/13 10:53 pm

Haha....that's so crazy. Maybe a college prank or something. Good story though. Everything here will blow over as it always does. Just a disagreement on our plans. Thanks again.

craig2 Connecticut
01/20/13 8:58 pm

Of course the under 50k said yes those ghettho niggers

seandolan93 Cascadia
01/20/13 8:52 pm

I may be the minority....but how the heck do you people plan on re-stealing it? I personally don't carry a saw or the jaws of life around with me...call the cops or confront if you see it's some punk kid.

susanr Colorado
01/20/13 8:44 pm

Glad I could help & I hope things are more peaceful soon!

I just have this image of some guy unbolting the baskets & kickstand and walking down the street with them. Didn't anyone NOTICE him? Must have looked WEIRD. It was in front of one of my college buildings, lots of people around.

peacenskis Alaska
01/20/13 8:36 pm

Thanks for the laugh. Arguing with my boyfriend today. First thing that has made me laugh all day.

gnott15 22401
01/20/13 8:20 pm

Call police. Plus my local bikestore has sold hundreds of the same bike

SGTHOOAH
01/20/13 7:29 pm

I would make sure he knows to not steal again

TheAntiLib Dutchess County, NY
01/20/13 7:27 pm

I would wait for the culprit to unlock the bike, and then beat the living shit out of them!

munkey? SilentMunkey
01/20/13 7:25 pm

No. I knock on the door and confront the person who is about to give me my bike back.

Odds are it is a kid that stole it and that kids parents either don't care where he got the bike or know and don't care. If they don't return it on the spot I would just call the police and wait.