Show Of Hands January 18th, 2013 12:00am

When buying a new gadget, do you pay more attention to design elements (user interface, shape, finish, etc.) or technology specs (speed, memory, battery, etc.)?

thertaylor
01/22/13 8:27 am

Specs aren't everything. For example, similar phones but one has 12MP camera. Really? That is not needed. Many consumers focus on specs, when they are only half of the equation, at best.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
01/21/13 7:04 pm

iPhone isn't the only device that people buy. There's cars, clothes, guns, guitars, amps, carpet, pots 'n' pans, etc., etc.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
01/21/13 7:01 pm

Both. That's why I buy Mac. But tech specs will usually entice me more than aesthetics.

gonzoboy Arizona
01/21/13 1:28 pm

Function > Form, though I prefer both when possible. Hence: Apple!

paraeon
01/21/13 7:48 am

Of course... Makes perfect sense. I'd rather have some lagging, piece of crap android device too! /sarcasm

paraeon
01/21/13 7:41 am

Nope tahn... I cringe when playing with ANY android device. Lagging pieces of shit!! I've had 4 generations of android and they all sucked compared to ios.

tdaddy diversity
01/20/13 9:34 pm

Indeed, and this applies to women too! (;

Br@ndon Your Soul
01/20/13 9:29 pm

OS is important to me just as much as hardware, but there aren't as many choice when it comes to OS than hardware. For pcs it either windows 8 or lion. For phones it's windows 8 phone, iOS or android. There are much more options for hardware. Memory alone ranges from 1 gb to 64 gb for computers.

EarlyBird Portland
01/20/13 5:50 pm

When I bought my iPhone, I bought it for the specs, looks and it's user friendly.

EarlyBird Portland
01/20/13 5:39 pm

I totally agree

susanr Colorado
01/20/13 2:27 pm

I assume that there ARE people who voted on specs thinking of their Applethings, too - wouldn't say that was necessarily dishonest, maybe just lack of understanding. So I think the
poll results are a combination of those possibilities.

susanr Colorado
01/20/13 2:25 pm

Sure! (Apple computers are the only kind I've owned since 1990.) But I think there are a lot of iPhone users that have other brands of computer &/or tablet. People have mentioned totally different products in the comments here - waterproof watch (me), toaster, shredder. That's what I meant.

Dustinjwcook
01/20/13 2:15 pm

Apple makes other things besides phones.

susanr Colorado
01/20/13 2:08 pm

They may have voted based on more "gadgets" than just their phone.

kateXcore Dark side of the moon
01/20/13 12:02 pm

I'd say it's about equal, but it depends what the item is.

Dustinjwcook
01/20/13 6:25 am

I use my ipad more than any other device BTW.

Dustinjwcook
01/20/13 6:23 am

I don't believe people voted honestly on this one. How many of you have apple products? And I love the shit out of their interface... Anyone voting with an iproduct better have chosen the aesthetics option. Because you did when you bought it.

116
01/20/13 2:33 am

As a tech savvy person, of course I prefer specs over looks. That's why I don't use apple products.

argenyle
01/19/13 9:10 pm

I call shenanigans! There is no way that SoH users prefer specs over aesthetics, or there would be far fewer iPhone users on here.

tahn Pennsylvania
01/19/13 6:36 pm

You should probably compare the performance of an iPhone to a similarly priced Android phone and you'd be amazed. Apple has beautiful products, no doubt about that, but many Android phones win on the tech end; most noticeably the size and quality of the display.

jamjay Atlanta, Ga
01/19/13 4:56 pm

With Apple we get it all! Yah.

susanr Colorado
01/19/13 2:17 pm

The question just specifies "gadgets" so that could cover a lot of territory besides mobile devices. Computers. I've seen people mention shredders, toasters, etc. I have a waterproof watch that I bought for its UI features more than specs (they all seemed about the same).

cato Santa Barbara, California
01/19/13 12:17 pm

Specs are more important. Design is for the Apple crowd.

JP007
01/19/13 11:17 am

Why do you buy a sports car? Because it looks cool? To a certain extent yes but for the power and speed!

Zod Above Pugetropolis
01/19/13 11:13 am

With mobile devices there's a third category. Design elements, Apple leads; Specs, Apple doesn't even bother to play; Apps, and App Store, both in quantity, and especially quality, Apple crushes. Eventually somebody at Google will figure it out and will write a design standard for Android apps.

techkak north coast
01/19/13 10:39 am

I say spec you want the device to do what you want or need it for. But hardware and software design do factor in

trock30000
01/19/13 10:38 am

I thought most users had iOS devices. so how is it most users prefer power because don't get me wrong iPhones have really nice designs but generally lack in power ( an A6 chip clocks in at 1.3 GHz whereas the Samsung Galaxy s lll's chip clocks in at 1.4 GHz and was released before iPhone 5)

Tpallidum Los Angeles, CA
01/19/13 10:24 am

Applied to desktops I'll take my godly desktop over any mac any day. Way cheaper, way more powerful, sexier-looking. Better in almost any way you can think of.

jfljoe The Greenhood
01/19/13 10:06 am

This is highly device-specific. Anything with a screen, design is as important as specs but any gadget without a screen I don't care what it looks like.

Happy Hong Kong
01/19/13 9:54 am

I disagree: iOS's UI is clunky & notifications still suck.

Grocker
01/19/13 9:42 am

Decor and design are two different things. Design can be incorporated into decor, but they are most definitely not the same. Design in part determines functionality. You may have a very strong leg, but if your foot is clubbed, you may still not be able to effectively utilize that strength in the leg

Grocker
01/19/13 9:38 am

Good design incorporates function, and makes the tech accessible for more complete utilization. It's odd to me that some only equate design with aesthetics.

ThinkAboutIt Staten Island, NY
01/19/13 9:16 am

User interface matters a lot but battery life and speed are more important.

Casi999
01/19/13 8:29 am

The whole point of paying so much for technology is having it actually work. My computer is broken now but if I decorate it does that make it useful? No!

gtgconfused
01/19/13 7:48 am

I just wish I could find the 'perfect desk'

gtgconfused
01/19/13 7:47 am

I got a job Working for someone who believed "highest price means best" and didn't know anything about specs. He would hire a computer tech to plug things in! He was always surprised when I'd find a better product for lower cost & his tech agreed.

okcougar
01/19/13 7:30 am

I have an iPhone 4 and my husband has the galaxy SIII. Next upgrade I'm probably switching over. Apple hasn't really offered anything new in the last couple of phones.

chile safer than congress
01/19/13 7:27 am

The results made me smile.
And gave me some hope about the country too
Sad huh?

KAnne Atlantic City, NJ
01/19/13 7:05 am

It doesn't matter if it's pretty if it can't do what I need it to do.

PeppyHare Do a barrel roll
01/19/13 6:33 am

And not only easy to use, intuitive in their design.

PeppyHare Do a barrel roll
01/19/13 6:31 am

UI is why Microsoft will never make it in the mobile market. Any company can do performance, just have a rapid new model release schedule. People want things that are functional and easy to use.

sukiemac Michigan
01/19/13 5:41 am

Needs to be user friendly

christine1986
01/19/13 4:03 am

I only use my electronic devices for the most basic of applications. I'm not into any sort of gaming or anything, so I base my decision of of usability more then the actual specs.

barbearnj Dreaming of Banff
01/19/13 3:56 am

Aesthetics are very important to me. That's one reason why I love Apple and Nook. Fortunately, in addition to excellent form, they also function superbly!

praetorianus65
01/19/13 1:18 am

I read Consumer report up front and no review before I'm familiar with the product.