Show Of Hands January 18th, 2013 12:00am

If it worked as well as other options, would you pay a couple bucks extra to use more environmentally-friendly, recycled oil in your car?

LauRN
01/24/13 8:42 pm

Republicans hate the environment

ChazDean
01/24/13 12:07 am

I want top of the line oil. Don't care about the PC aspect of it.

Chico5393
01/23/13 7:59 pm

Doesn't mean you can lower your own impact to make up there. Negative or "0" net growth in impact is better than a positive one

wetheslaves Live each moment fully
01/22/13 1:05 pm

Yep, when we got very powerful formulas etc we figured it was getting too dangerous and stopped. I don't recommend it to anyone. We were systematic and cautious but it would have been tragic if we miscalculated and got hurt. There are plenty of other good things to experiment with.

wetheslaves Live each moment fully
01/22/13 1:05 pm

susanr Colorado
01/22/13 9:37 am

Ah, I get it now pinky. I thought you meant don't *light* it and get burned.

wedaslaves - I have a friend who did stuff like that when he was young. Now he has only one hand. He has a bunch of tools that he customized to fit into the socket of his prosthesis, though. Actually very cool.

wetheslaves Live each moment fully
01/22/13 5:19 am

Fortunately, we only used small batches on new chemical combinations. No it was not nitroglycerin and won't be telling either. Curiosity can kill the cat (metaphor only). I still have a wild fun streak. It is just tempered with responsibility. Adventure and calculated danger can be fun.

wetheslaves Live each moment fully
01/22/13 5:12 am

It was in the real world science experiment category. One chemical concoction blew a concrete drain lid into the air while the whole side was wide open. We heard the echoes from drains as sound traveled right over the hill. The other ear was deaf for an hour and skin was red from being hit.

EarlyBird Portland
01/22/13 4:49 am

wed - you made dangerous bombs as a kid? Sounds like you had a little wild streak at one time :-)

wetheslaves Live each moment fully
01/22/13 2:54 am

Pink it sounds like those dangerous bombs we made as kids. You could hurt yourself seriously or get into trouble with the law. Fortunately we did neither, but came too close to comfort. We figured out the adrenal boost was was worth the risk.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
01/21/13 7:16 pm

How would you dispose of napalm?!? Light it, and throw it at something! Hence the 'Don't sue me if you're a dumbass' part.

susanr Colorado
01/21/13 7:13 pm

Not only would you essentially be creating napalm by mixing gasoline with styrofoam, but you'd probably be releasing styrene, which is caustic (even on skin; especially if ingested) and may (or not) be a carcinogen. Also - how would you dispose of the glop? It's WAY worse than styrofoam. BAD IDEA.

susanr Colorado
01/21/13 7:07 pm

Yes, pinky, we found that it *can* be recycled. But apparently there isn't a big enough market for it to make it profitable enough for a lot of places, so it's simply not recycled in many (most?) communities.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
01/21/13 6:50 pm

Twice per year, my ass. At least 4 times a year for me.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
01/21/13 6:49 pm

First off, styrofoam can be recycled. I've been to a styrofoam recycling center in Nashville, TN.
Second, add a little gasoline, stir it 'til it's gooey, and poof! Cheap napalm! No joke, it really works. But don't sue me if you try it and burn yourself like a dumbass.

EarlyBird Portland
01/21/13 8:26 am

I don't want to recycle it bad enough to move ;-) I know that we get so much of it for various reasons and it seems gross to me that it goes in landfills and won't break down.

wetheslaves Live each moment fully
01/21/13 8:25 am

Thanks for the update. We have a all in one recycling stream which covers the styrofoam recycling numbers. They expressly state they do not want it, even though it is less than their recycling number cutoff. So close but not quite.

susanr Colorado
01/21/13 8:16 am

..feasible. Another says it is "a very, very low grade plastic with almost no value and can be difficult to melt down and reuse over again. On the other hand it is cheap..."

So I guess the bottom line, for now, is if you want to recycle it badly enough, move to Madison.

susanr Colorado
01/21/13 8:13 am

So I got curious & Googled it. Mixed results. One source says the "recycling" code isn't about recycling; it's just telling you what kind of plastic it is. One says you can recycle it... if you live in Madison, WI. One says it can be recycled but the large-scale market is too small to make it..

susanr Colorado
01/21/13 8:07 am

Do they? I haven't seen any in a while & I can't remember. But I thought it couldn't be recycled. Maybe it can, some places. Local recycling here is pretty good but I know they don't take it.

wetheslaves Live each moment fully
01/21/13 7:58 am

But they have recycling numbers printed on the styrofoam?

susanr Colorado
01/21/13 7:42 am

Yes. It would be bad enough if it could be recycled. But it can't.

wetheslaves Live each moment fully
01/20/13 8:55 pm

Sounds reasonable to me.

EarlyBird Portland
01/20/13 6:02 pm

Since we're all in favor of saving the earth, is anyone else bugged by the use / overuse of styrofoam?
Why not use shredded paper in its place?
I'm a little surprised it hasn't become an issue yet.

wetheslaves Live each moment fully
01/20/13 11:16 am

Especially given that a fraction of the energy used is converted into kinetic energy. Most is wasted in heat and unburned fuel to suck off heat when it vaporizes. There are better ways of extracting the energy into useful forms. I think we use less than 15% of the energy in fuel to move it.

wetheslaves Live each moment fully
01/20/13 11:11 am

Maverick I can't see your message. However, I did get a partial notification. If I can read your thoughts correctly, you were wondering how we can recycle a fuel that gives up its energy in the combustion process. We would have to reenergize it again like a chemical battery. Inefficient at best

KathrynRose
01/20/13 8:13 am

Oh oh oh, that makes sense! Thank you! I'll have to change my vote.....

maverick7 Tennessee
01/20/13 7:06 am

While I think that would be awesome, how does one recycle a substance that, once used there is nothing left?

maverick7 Tennessee
01/20/13 7:02 am

These are the kinds of questions that, as a Republican, confuse me. Seriously a few extra bucks and help the environment and only 41% of republicans agree? Just goes to show there are morons on both sides of the political fence.

116
01/20/13 2:38 am

It's a responsibility. Just like going out of your way to find a trash can rather than litter. Some people are just greedy scum.

thinker2 nc
01/20/13 12:34 am

Sad for my fellow republicans on this one. It's oil. Twice per year you pay $3 extra bucks. Seriously!? That's too much?!? I'm not a tree hugger but I also don't destroy the environment on purpose.

robolds Initiative
01/19/13 11:05 pm

Whose on first?

ninomunna
01/19/13 10:32 pm

They said oil, not gasoline. So it wouldn't be per gallon.

KathrynRose
01/19/13 8:20 pm

Depends. A couple extra bucks per tank- or per gallon.

purplemonkey New York
01/19/13 5:40 pm

why close to 40% would say no is beyond me..what's a couple extra bucks

jamjay Atlanta, Ga
01/19/13 4:54 pm

Anything to put distance between us and Ahab the Arab.

Doopy Remedial Americanism
01/19/13 4:53 pm

Making the bags has more impact than 170 plastic bags in a landfill.

kdawson07
01/19/13 4:06 pm

In addition to that, there is no where on this app that says an unbiased response is required.

kdawson07
01/19/13 4:02 pm

The first sentence of my post was biased and somewhat of a joke. The rest of my post was very unbiased and open ended.

thatguy81 here
01/19/13 3:57 pm

A completely unbiased opinion everyone!

jclark21s
01/19/13 2:56 pm

It honestly doesn't matter what America does, the chinese are polluting the earth anyways.. You can't even wear a white shirt over there without it being black when you leave.

kdawson07
01/19/13 2:19 pm

I'm a surveyor in the oil and energy industry so keep drilling baby! Lol. I honestly haven't seen any signs of pollution due to the production of oil or gas in the US so I'm a bit hesitant to just accept that the production of oil is harmful to the environment. Who's it harming?

smacc DunningKruger
01/19/13 1:43 pm

The almost all end up in land fills. Reusable cotton would be better.

BadWolf The Library
01/19/13 1:13 pm

Really? Religion isn't harmful? So religions saying kill infidels is totally harmless.

smacc DunningKruger
01/19/13 12:47 pm

To make yes but not to dispose of. You can make 170 plastic for each reusable bag in relation to energy but then you have a pile of bags to get rid of. Trade offs