Show Of Hands January 18th, 2013 12:00am

Do you usually remember your dreams after you wake up?

megxxmarie
01/22/13 1:22 am

Yes.. I have an extremely keen memory. Even if I don't remember them right away, I will randomly think of them later on. I see or hear things and my brain relates that to past experiences. For some reason, I randomly remember things that I haven't ever thought of for years by just turning my car on!

NobodyKnows
01/21/13 8:29 pm

my dreams molds my imagination for the better :3

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
01/21/13 6:54 pm

I do that all the time!! And it usually changes dramatically when I do.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
01/21/13 6:52 pm

Not always. But I remember that China invaded in one of my dreams, and in the course of resistance, I ended up shooting Hu Jintao in the head.

everythingends
01/21/13 6:40 am

Sometimes I just really wish I wouldn't.

IceWoman New York
01/20/13 3:53 pm

yes and no. sometimes not til later in the day when something happens to remind me of it. But some of them I really wish I couldn't remember! Seriously freaky stuff going thru my mind when I sleep I guess:/

Dustinjwcook
01/20/13 5:25 am

I dreamt that I was at a party and my mom was dancing with a guy. My dad was alone, in the corner, i asked what was wrong, he told me that no matter what he tried he couldn't get my mom to love him any more. I called my mom the next day and she told me that they were separating after 20 plus years

Dustinjwcook
01/20/13 5:19 am

Just start exercising lucid dreaming. You'll remember all of that shit.

pokemonaudio Washington
01/19/13 8:26 pm

I once had a dream about a very close family friend and the next day she died 0.0

lebneniye85
01/19/13 12:03 pm

Not always but I sometimes wake up from a dream and try to go back to sleep to finish it lol.

Casi999
01/19/13 8:32 am

I remember the weird ones. That gives me a lot to remember.

chile safer than congress
01/19/13 7:34 am

Nope. I took the red pill.

Möbius has more if you decide to join the grim face of reality.

stellamarie WA
01/19/13 1:38 am

I remember them right when I wake up, then they're gone in about ten minutes. The intense or upsetting ones I'll remember longer.

wythanee
01/18/13 11:29 pm

The overriding themes seem to be shame and fear. And I never realized how traumatic an experience college must have been for me!

icytoes the tepid north
01/18/13 10:55 pm

I have started trying to log them via twitter feed #weirddream

icytoes the tepid north
01/18/13 10:54 pm

Woah you're me! I have the same 3!!
Recently though, in the midst of the oh-crap-I-never-attended-class dream, I realized "Wait! I graduated 20 years ago - I don't have to be here!"

praetorianus65
01/18/13 10:36 pm

The topmost authority is the Stanford sleep center:
sleep.stanford.edu/
You should contact them - if anyone can figure out more it's them.
When it comes to sleep research I'm an informed amateur but this is new for me - and possibly the scientific community.

Leandra
01/18/13 10:31 pm

I remember at least one dream each time I sleep. I also tell my boyfriend about them as soon as I wake up. (He says he adores it, especially since he doesn't often remember his ????)

praetorianus65
01/18/13 10:30 pm

That is indeed unusual - normally, you should spend about 20% of your sleep in REM.
It's more if you work changing shifts or have a circadian rhythm disorder (non regular sleep).
I suspect most have recurrent dreams but some just *appear* to have more because they remember more.

BlackBenz Northwest Arkansas
01/18/13 9:34 pm

but the jist of it was that I spent very little time in the "pre-REM" sleep stage, and spent 75% of my time in REM sleep. The way they explained it, it was unusual. I wonder if that is why I continue to have this recurrent dream?

BlackBenz Northwest Arkansas
01/18/13 9:33 pm

You know quite a bit about this topic. I find it so intriguing. I have had the same recurrent dream at least twice a week for the last 8 years. It is not unpleasant, so it does not bother me. I had a sleep study done due to chronic fatigue. I don't recall the specific verbiage used, ...

praetorianus65
01/18/13 9:23 pm

...you will start doing it in your dreams and might realize you are dreaming.
Once you are lucid, don't get either too excited (it will wake you) or too detached (you'll lose awareness) .
Check it now : are you dreaming?

End of lucidity 101 - no tuition fee :)

praetorianus65
01/18/13 9:19 pm

Any habit we have in real life we will likely have in dream life.
If you ask yourself several times a day whether you are dreaming and perform some feats you couldn't do in waking life (seeing through closed eyes, breathing through a pinched nose, jumping and hovering...) (contd)

praetorianus65
01/18/13 9:15 pm

To have lucid dreams, here some tips:
- keep a dream journal, it helps you to rememberpatterns that recur
- before going to sleep, give yourself the self suggestion "next time I am dreaming I will realize that I am dreaming"
- the most important thing is the "reality check" (continued)...

praetorianus65
01/18/13 9:10 pm

Read anything by these authors :
Stephen LaBerge, Jayne Gackenbach, Celia Green, Paul Tholey, Patricia Garfield.
Lucid dream induction is also available on YouTube.

praetorianus65
01/18/13 9:07 pm

The benefits:
- never have nightmares again; if you realize it's a dream you lose all fear
- train skills (yes, when you rehearse in dreams you get better at it in waking life)
- have fun - lucid dreams are extremely vivid - you can have that date with your favorite movie star eg

praetorianus65
01/18/13 9:03 pm

For those intetested in lucid dreaming (where you know it's a dream) and modern dream research some good news:
It's a trainable skill, has benefits (see below) and the field is so young and close to common experience that all literature can be understood right away with common sense.

praetorianus65
01/18/13 8:41 pm

Result:

Dream sleep is necessary for the brain to process and organize new experiences.
Remembering isn't relevant for that any more than remembering having had a meal is for being sated.

sck2399
01/18/13 8:40 pm

Ugh, yes! Which I hate because I have so many dreams, and they're either really funny or good

praetorianus65
01/18/13 8:38 pm

You don't personally know but there has been enough sleep research to prove that everybody dreams - make a sleep EEG and wake anybody up during REM and he'll remember.
People who volunteered to be deprived of dream sleep only became disoriented.

praetorianus65
01/18/13 8:31 pm

About lucid dreaming: Stephen LaBerge's in dream communication experiments (the eye muscles are all you can move during REM) scientifically proved that:
- self aware dreams really happen during sleep, not while dozing
- dreamtime roughly equals what time the same would take while awake

zigtiger823 everywhere
01/18/13 8:09 pm

actually, you only remember dreams that you wake up during

zeppelin72 Los Angeles
01/18/13 8:07 pm

Only wet dreams...

gmoney123
01/18/13 7:54 pm

If you forget your dreams, then how do you know if you have them at all?

wythanee
01/18/13 7:52 pm

It is. Sometimes I swear I was screaming in my sleep but nobody seems to hear me.

Terrence88
01/18/13 7:51 pm

Not always but I have lately, so I said yes.

wythanee
01/18/13 7:50 pm

Yeah, I looked it up and it means you're aware you're dreaming and you have a certain amount of control over it. I do this when I realize I'm close to waking up but I just don't want to!

Diogenes Its Blursday Again
01/18/13 7:34 pm

It's hard to scream when you're asleep.

Drpaulitics San Diego, CA
01/18/13 7:27 pm

Most of the time when I do this I literally put my hands up in my dream signaling to stop everything (then everything stops), then I do the rewind thing until I've found the place I'm comfortable with to continue. Would that be considered lucid dreaming? I rarely have dreams like this, but it's fun.

Drpaulitics San Diego, CA
01/18/13 7:20 pm

I do the same thing. And I'm almost always fully aware that I am dreaming. It feels like rewinding a video as I see everything run backwards until I find a point I want to resume from.

thatguy81 here
01/18/13 7:20 pm

Do you wish there was a machine to record your dreams for you?

Yea me either

wythanee
01/18/13 7:16 pm

And this was SUPPOSED to be a response to a post about lucid dreaming further down!

wythanee
01/18/13 7:15 pm

I do this. If a dream is not playing right or is too awful, I'll often back up and replay a different version.