Show Of Hands July 10th, 2012 12:00am

Should it be legal to ride in the back of an open pickup truck?

UNISOL Idaho
07/21/12 7:08 pm

I loved riding in the back of my dad's pickup when I was a kid.

kywrite augusta, ga
07/19/12 10:01 pm

You see it all the time on Hawaii highways. I grew up in the country, and it still scares me to death to see it.

Fresh1
07/19/12 5:50 am

I don't think a 3rd party would get hurt so yea sure

Freedom. Gary Johnson

Flooded Virginia
07/17/12 7:52 am

On private property, it's one thing. I know it's much easier to have someone in the back when you're driving around fixing the fences etc, but on a road where you'd most likely be traveling over 35? stupid.

Flooded Virginia
07/17/12 7:50 am

It's one thing to endanger yourself, but in the event of an accident someone riding in the bed could become a projectile and hurt/kill another driver. I believe in the right to act stupid, but not when there's a high chance of hurting someone else

the.ish Colorado
07/16/12 9:48 pm

Hopefully people can think for themselves, so the question of being illegal or not is irrelevant.

All4RPaul Texas
07/16/12 7:58 pm

sure. legalize it, why not? let people do as they wish, long as they're just as willing to take responsibility for any negative outcome that might happen. like having medical insurance should they fall.

cowboy Dawns Highway
07/14/12 6:31 pm

@Kato Well of course you can't put someone, who has never been in the bed of a pick up before and fly down the highway. I grew up on a farm and was riding in one ever since I can remember. And I used to get inside the bucket of my grandfather's tractor and ride around the farm and pick pears.

HolyBabble Mississippi
07/14/12 12:57 pm

Haha! The Yankees and the West Coast Trash say no.

Silent Jacksonville, FL
07/14/12 4:09 am

At certain speeds yes. On an interstate....no. Over 55 mph...no. Just going down the road and the drunk guys that want to drive are willing to hang out in the back of your truck....yeah.

07/13/12 10:37 pm

Adults sure but I don't want to be responsible for accidentally killing a child because they didn't know how to properly ride in the back of a moving truck...

07/13/12 6:32 pm

YES!! I live on a farm so YES

NJConserve New Jersey
07/13/12 4:04 pm

Let people do what they want stupid nanny government makes me sick with all the idiotic laws over nonsense. Fix the economy!

ahsu Ohio
07/13/12 11:09 am

It's dangerous...then again so is riding a motorcycle. And riding a school bus bc there are no seatbelts. I guess I said no but now I want to say yes it should be fine. Otherwise the law is going to have to change about motorcycles and school busses without seatbelts.

jms in the middle of Nowhere
07/12/12 11:29 pm

Tally- I said 'many' not 'all'. And honestly? If you're sitting the back, no one is goofing off, how in the world do you fall out?? You don't. Maybe the boys in that case were sitting on the sides? That's the only other thing I can think of. And that's just plain dumb for the driver to let them.

Segrid New Mexico
07/12/12 10:13 pm

this is very common on the Navajo reservation. usually it's grandma and the kids back there. weird.

sigmabate1009
07/12/12 9:31 pm

If someone get killed doing it cause they stupid then I thanks for cleansing the gene pool. But still pissed that my tax dollars are wasted on the police rescue and medic resources that will to to save them

jagger
07/12/12 7:44 pm

Sometimes you need laws for things like this because some people are too stupid for their own good

07/12/12 6:43 pm

People will do it anyway, law or not. That being said, the law shouldn't exist. Just adds to the list of unnecessary laws, and adds to oppression

Archimedes
07/12/12 3:14 pm

I miss living in a free country.

josh4qwa Louisiana
07/12/12 11:51 am

I live in the countryside of Louisiana. We do it anyway...

tmprince89
07/12/12 8:36 am

It would be fine if people did it responsibly. Kids shouldn't, especially without an adult. And the driver shouldn't drive fast. It's all a matter of common sense.

NYevo NY
07/12/12 8:15 am

I dont need someone getting jolted off a truck after hitting a large bump and landing on my car, or getting run over by me. Keep that illegal please

Mr.logic California
07/12/12 7:58 am

@ Oldgray
What?!?!
Americans have more rights than ever!

DrReid Ever present.
07/12/12 7:50 am

I wonder if there will be a day where stupid people would stop using hyperbole...

oldgrey1 Illinois
07/12/12 5:26 am

There's too much government regulation in this country. Pretty soon no one will be allowed to do anything.

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
07/12/12 4:32 am

@ncbuc: There's a difference between someone in the bed of a pickup and a regular accident. If you fall out, the driver following will run you over, that's way more traumatizing than getting into an accident. Not only is their car damaged, but they just ran over a child. So country road, fine.

dpoirr11 Addis, LA
07/12/12 3:44 am

It should be legal but you can't be an idiot when back there. The fact that these types of things are either already a law or are being considered is ridiculous. Stop taking away simple freedoms!!!!

crquinones
07/11/12 10:18 pm

Btw. I fell out of a moving mustange when i was about 5. Mom shut the door all nice and tight and when she turned the corner, the door flew open and i fell out. No CAUSE to it. I didnt touch the door and i was in the car. But momentum + gravity = YAAHOOHOO!!!

crquinones
07/11/12 10:16 pm

Riding in the back of a pick up doesnt CAUSE accidents. I was in the back of a pick up on the fourth to see fireworks with my four kids, cousin, and her kid. Had a blast. Driver turned on his bass and the whole truck shook. It was great.

because South Dakota
07/11/12 10:05 pm

I'd rather be a dirtball than a overcompensating 'lets put rubber baby bumpers on the entire world's do gooder

fsu13 Grosse Pointe Park
07/11/12 9:44 pm

well in Michigan its legal if the truck has bolted in seats with seatbelts and a roll cage. i think thats fair

ncbuc Get Over It
07/11/12 8:41 pm

I think dangerous was a better argument than taxes.

ncbuc Get Over It
07/11/12 8:35 pm

You'd rather save what? It wouldn't save anything. Just another waste of time stopping people and writing reports and paying for court time.

AMCG a Hoosier in E TN
07/11/12 8:30 pm

Only said yes bc it's the law to buckle up. Way more dangerous to ride in the bed vs not wearing seatbelt. But I believe only I should have the right to make the decision to buckle up, or ride in the bed of a truck, or not.

ncbuc Get Over It
07/11/12 8:30 pm

Fake...lmao. How many people have you seen in the back of a truck in the last year? How many accidents from that have u seen? Now, tax wise. Do you have any idea how many people are in rehab or on disability for other crap? I'd you studied deeper you would see your point is severely flawed.

FakeSound Arizona
07/11/12 8:18 pm

And when I say rehabilitating, that also goes for disability. There is an obvious liberal AND conservative argument for this being illegal. If you're crying about a "nanny state," think just a tiny bit deeper than you're used to and you'll come to my same conclusion.

FakeSound Arizona
07/11/12 8:16 pm

I'd rather pay less taxes by my state making money ticketing people with people in the back of their pickups than spend my taxes rehabilitating people who got into crashes while in the back of pickups.

ncbuc Get Over It
07/11/12 8:00 pm

Eloquently stated jaques. Although I hate to be lumped in with the lack of brains bunch. Lol

JaquesV Bentonville, AR
07/11/12 7:37 pm

Nanny state. If you have the brains to stay out of the back of the truck, you'll use them. If you don't, well, you're less likely to pollute the gene pool with your lack of brains. We need to stop holding everyone's hands and let people make their own decisions.

LizO
07/11/12 7:20 pm

I fell out the back once. My "braver than me" brother (who tried it first & was fine) challenged me to touch the street with my foot while the truck was moving! Yes, I know stupid. LoL I was sucked out so fast I couldn't register why I was in the street & he still in the moving truck was screaming!

ncbuc Get Over It
07/11/12 6:53 pm

But...with that argument. Shouldn't it be legal to influence the undesirables to ride to their demise? Population control. And we all can agree we need that, right?

ncbuc Get Over It
07/11/12 6:51 pm

Lol. I can't disagree with you. But, two years ago. My buddy and I rode in the back down the highway. Got a ride to our campsite. And I think we look respectable.

jagger
07/11/12 6:29 pm

Seriously when was the last time u saw a respectable looking person in the back of a pickup? If those people walked by u would lock ur doors

wbvonbray Tennessee
07/11/12 6:25 pm

I'm not sure about completely, but an age limit would be a good idea.

ncbuc Get Over It
07/11/12 6:24 pm

Unholy. And if it's a ladder or a cinder block? Should we make it illegal to carry anything? May as well make trucks illegal right?

07/11/12 5:32 pm

No. I don't want to have a person catapulted into my car when the idiot hits a tree or something.

crquinones
07/11/12 4:40 pm

It was the best part of growing up!