TopsQueen March 22nd, 2015 7:28am

Have you or someone in your household, been on antibiotics this last winter? I'm just on my third prescription. Maybe the mild climate doesn't kill germs.

s4mm1 MD SLP
03/22/15 9:57 pm

I have a permanent stock of antibiotics because I have recurrent and frequent UTIs. I have no choice but the antibiotics. I hate it but it beats kidney infections. I normally only have to take 20mg to stop an infection. Better than a whole round IMO

03/23/15 5:40 am

Do you do this on your own (self-medicate) or do you work with a doctor?

Taking only part of a round of antibiotics just weakens the germs, enough to stop the symptoms, but does not

03/23/15 5:41 am

... kill them off. That may be why your infection keeps recurring.

s4mm1 MD SLP
03/23/15 6:55 am

I work with a urologist. Antibiotics always would clear the infection, I just keep getting new ones. These are a preventive measure.

03/23/15 8:15 am

Ok, that does make sense now.

professorwho Madness and Genius
03/22/15 9:56 pm

ADRENALINE SHOT! CAUSE PENICILLIN COULD NOT! GET THE ILLIN TO STOP! AMOXICILLIN JUST AINT REAL ENOUGH!

alynn Somewhere wonderful
03/22/15 9:25 am

I'm finishing up my second one. The first one last week did not work and they switched me.

I hope you're feeling better now, Tops.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
03/22/15 10:23 am

A little thanks.

mim formerly 97123
03/22/15 9:17 am

The issue with antibiotics and superbugs has been exacerbated by the antibiotics we consume in our food.

mim formerly 97123
03/22/15 9:12 am

Yes, but with a stern talking-to from the doctor about new recommendations from the CDC advising not to prescribe antibiotics so easily.

mim formerly 97123
03/22/15 9:12 am

Actually, I understand the reason is because sometimes a virus has to run its course, however, when it's morphed into a secondary bacterial infection, it's necessary.

kermie gaytopia
03/22/15 9:09 am

Unfortunately I did, for pneumonia. First time I've had antibiotics in a decade. I don't like them. They're causing superbugs.

03/22/15 9:47 am

Kermie, you are right to be cautious. Please see my post below.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
03/22/15 10:25 am

I'm borderline pneumonia. I had boils and mouth lesions too nasty nasty flu.

shiculka transvaccinated
03/22/15 8:54 am

No, I avoid ATBs like a plaque unless is absolutely necessary.

03/22/15 8:09 am

I've been leery about antibiotics, ever since they made my husband very sick two years ago.

He had a minor, elective surgery. The doctor prescribed post-op antibiotics, which he took faithfully. On the last day of the course of antibiotics, he ...

03/22/15 8:13 am

... started to have symptoms - diarrhea, nausea, fatigue. It got rapidly worse, until about 3 days later, I took him to the emergency room.

It was C diff, a very serious infection, sometimes triggered by antibiotics. He was in the hospital and ...

03/22/15 8:16 am

... in isolation for more than a week. He went home on medication and feeling better, but that wasn't the end.

For about 3 months, it kept coming back. He would finish a course of medication, feel great for two to three days, then the bug would ...

03/22/15 8:20 am

... return.

Finally, fed up, I took him to a specialist, who finally cured it, permanently this time. Research on the Internet taught me that we were lucky. Some people are sick for years with this disease.

Here's what I learned, the hard ...

03/22/15 8:25 am

... way. Your digestive system normally has a balance of "good" and "bad" germs. Germs are not inherently bad. The good germs keep the bad germs under control.

Under certain circumstances, antibiotics can go too far and kill the good germs, ...

03/22/15 8:28 am

... leaving your system defenseless against a C diff infection. It may have been in your system all along, but couldn't get a stronghold.

Having said all of that, antibiotics are valuable when you do need them. But, there are things you can do ...

03/22/15 8:32 am

... to protect yourself.
(1) Follow your doctor's exact directions on dosage.
(2) Eat yogurt (or other natural probiotics), to help restore the good germs that you need.
(3) See if your doctor can do a test, to see exactly what you have and ...

03/22/15 8:34 am

... target it with the appropriate antibiotic.

Joyce, the above advice is general, but specifically, if you are on your third antibiotic, I think you should get a second opinion.

imanag My heaven on Earth
03/22/15 8:04 am

I just finished a course of antibiotics and now I'm almost done dealing with the side effects.

Kay41 the Midwest
03/22/15 7:35 am

No. Of the five of us, only my son had a small cold and cough. But he just did over the counter meds. I haven't been sick in at least 10 years.

rons Thanks America
03/22/15 6:58 am

Had a good year. But germs do better in cold and dry.

cpaswr just say the letters
03/22/15 6:03 am

All of us just finished a round of antibiotics. We may need another round.

ladyniner81 I need chocolate
03/22/15 5:39 am

I have to go get some because I need a root canal because the other one got infected.

pateach2 love my son
03/22/15 4:54 am

I had a sinus infection. My step daughter was sick for about a month and a half. Her immune system blows!

catpillow Florida West Coast
03/22/15 1:55 am

Just the cat after his ear surgery.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
03/22/15 12:29 am

Both my daughter and I have been taking megadoses.