gallae March 22nd, 2015 1:19am

Follow-up question, does the credibility of someone who says they are transgendered change with the the age they come to the realization (yes)? Or do you always have the same response (no)?

MysteryCheese Is it possible to change
03/21/15 10:41 pm

The credibility of them if they are straight or gay is the same to me. There are many reasons why someone wouldn't come out until they grow a little older

susanr Colorado
03/21/15 7:47 pm

I don't think so. We live in a climate that mostly discourages people, including children, from behaving much outside of traditional orientation & gender roles. (Look at the giant stink that happens when a boy wants to wear a dress, even for a

susanr Colorado
03/21/15 7:49 pm

Halloween costume.) Homosexual men and women still don't always feel free to "come out" to family, friends, & the world at large, and are often bullied or ridiculed when they do. I can well imagine that there are some transgender kids who grow up

susanr Colorado
03/21/15 7:50 pm

feeling *extremely* uncomfortable, &/or frightened, about being different, especially if they've had those feelings stifled when they did speak up about it. And that they might not be able to deal with that at an early age, or during the usually

susanr Colorado
03/21/15 7:51 pm

trying times of adolescence. Then maybe they get stuck in a traditional role as an adult, & feel free to reveal themselves as transgender only when they're older & more confident. I can envision many different scenarios.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
03/21/15 7:17 pm

No. It's a delusion at any age.

gallae Michigan
03/21/15 7:48 pm

Could you elaborate on why you it believe a child in this situation to be delusional? I have linked a story in a new poll which I find interesting, although I am not sure where exactly I stand.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
03/22/15 2:13 am

I feel that sex and gender are biologically linked at the DNA level, so anyone of any age who thinks he's the "wrong sex" is on the level psychologically with someone who thinks he's a toaster. It should be noted that as recently as 40 years ago,

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
03/22/15 2:18 am

this was the overwhelming opinion of the psychologists in America, but an intense underground campaign of political pressure caused the APA to redefine this and homosexuality as "normal" rather than deviant.

smarttexan More Moderate Than U
03/21/15 6:36 pm

Why would any of us be able or responsible for judging a transgender person?

gallae Michigan
03/21/15 7:10 pm

Very true. However, I struggle with people who say they are trans later in life, but when a child says they are, I have an easier time accepting it. Which I understand is very judgmental of me, but that is where I am right now.

missmorganmarie ...
03/22/15 5:18 am

interesting. why a child? I would think the opposite

smarttexan More Moderate Than U
03/22/15 9:16 am

I am impressed you're trying to understand. I honestly don't get it, but they do, so I've just decided to accept it and be nice. I have a couple transgendered co workers.

gallae Michigan
03/22/15 10:03 am

I think I have an easier time with a child because... Can I say society? I will say, I don't personally know anyone who is transgendered. When we hear about a child, the response is usually kinder and more sympathetic than when we hear of an adult.