Praetorianus March 21st, 2015 5:08am

Do you think it can be reasonable to be socially / morally conservative without being religious?

Wes28 CBus
03/22/15 9:19 am

I'm somewhat socially conservative (not on gay marriage though) and I'm not religious at all.

Wes28 CBus
03/22/15 9:20 am

To clarify...I guess my morals are more conservative. I would never force them on others, however, like most Republicans seem to do.

im4na
03/22/15 7:03 am

"What reasons are there if you're not religious" oh gee...im an athiest...I cannot be morally conservative...I must be an asshole...because I don't believe in God....yes

kermie gaytopia
03/21/15 10:21 pm

Not reasonable to me, but I'm sure some people do it.

think4yourself Not a safe space
03/21/15 8:45 pm

Yes. You do not have to be religious to see the damage social liberalism has done unless you never see the ghettos social liberalism created.

wythaneee
03/21/15 7:25 pm

As a concept, I think it's possible, but I've never met or heard of any conservative who used anything other than a religious rationale his/her social value. I'd love to hear a real-life example.

MrMilkdud
03/21/15 7:12 pm

I think people saying "no" are just buying into the leftist propaganda that religion is the only reason for conservative values.

sojourner present
03/22/15 5:20 am

On the social side, what non religious reasons are there? I can see it for the fiscal side, but am having trouble finding any non religious rationale reasons for social conservatism. Use lgbt rights as an example so we aren't talking abstracts please

MrMilkdud
03/22/15 5:35 am

You already had this argument below and I'm not interested in getting into a whole thing about it because anything I say will be dismissed.
Suffice it to say that these people do exist, and have even commented here, so take it up with them.

sojourner present
03/22/15 5:40 am

1. I didn't argue with anyone, we were discussing.
2. Fine, I'm just curious to hear reasons. So far I've only heard people say they are but have not heard concrete examples of how this works. So I ask questions. But you're out, and that's ok too.

MrMilkdud
03/22/15 6:02 am

If you're just interested in learning more about their position, then this should help. www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1082190/posts

Ebola1 Florida
03/21/15 11:46 am

Of course, being conservative has nothing to do with religion.

commonsense America isnt racist
03/21/15 8:29 am

I am. Socially/fiscally conservative, yet atheist my whole life.

sojourner present
03/21/15 1:42 pm

What nonreligious reason is there to oppose LGBT rights? Use marriage as an example

Laserbeam Crazy bird lady
03/21/15 8:05 pm

Don't mind me, just commenting here so I'm notified when commonsense replies. Mucho curiouso.

commonsense America isnt racist
03/21/15 8:09 pm

I don't think there is a reason to deny them rights. The only privilege that I would deny them is marriage. Specifically for society.

Laserbeam Crazy bird lady
03/21/15 8:12 pm

So you're saying you think that marriage is a privilege, not a right? Why?

commonsense America isnt racist
03/21/15 8:21 pm

I don't see it as a right. Similar to driving

sojourner present
03/22/15 5:18 am

Even if it is a privilege (which I disagree) what non religious reason is there to deny it?

TierasPet
03/21/15 5:19 am

It's completely possible.

AtlantaJones
03/21/15 5:04 am

I'm an atheist conservative... I don't understand at all why people don't get it, but I get questioned all the time.

drinkdrank Ohio
03/21/15 12:09 am

Yes, one of my great friends is a conservative athiest.

sojourner present
03/21/15 4:52 am

Why would an atheist be opposed to say, same sex marriage?

Praetorianus Fair enough.
03/21/15 5:39 am

He could argue that marriage is an institution to foster and protect families with the prospect of having and rearing children. Traditionally, you marry to found a family.

sojourner present
03/21/15 6:15 am

But gay couples can fulfill that role too. If you use reason to think thru the concept it becomes fairly obvious. Same as infertile couples can marry and former a family.

drinkdrank Ohio
03/21/15 9:09 am

Not sure what he would say specifically about marriage, but I know he would argue that same sex relationships are essentially die out paths in the evolutionary chain.

sojourner present
03/21/15 1:40 pm

But even that is not a reason to oppose gay rights as we as a species are in no danger of going extinct. Overpopulation is a more pressing problem for us.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
03/20/15 10:12 pm

This may not sit well with either conservatives or liberals but I think yes. You can still argue that conservative traditions work without calling on a higher power.

MrMilkdud
03/21/15 7:11 pm

I totally agree. The Catholic Church has taught for years that our morals and values are the result of rational thought and human reason, and that human beings can come to these conclusions logically without making a religious appeal.