nnifer March 20th, 2015 7:14pm

My work is having a party next month to celebrate Easter and Passover. They will be serving a ham lunch (pork for Passover?) I believe Passover is an afterthought, and should be removed from the celebration. Should I shut up and keep my rants on SOH?

Iamamerican California
03/21/15 10:26 am

Throw in some chicken and have a good time.

DonWichita Kansas
03/21/15 10:24 am

The party is also celebrating Easter which has nothing to do with eating pork.

HammeringMan Gods Away On Business
03/21/15 9:50 am

A Sedar is highly ceremonial. An Easter dinner is a gluttonous gathering. Good luck getting those two together!

rons WOKE is sick
03/21/15 9:41 am

Who organized this party? Sound like a knucklehead to me.

NOTColonelWest
03/21/15 9:30 am

You should at least mention the ham part. Ask why they're even honoring Passover if they're not really honoring it, and see if they'd be okay with just removing it

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
03/21/15 9:14 am

They should also serve lamb. Since it's honoring both safes. I would ask the observant Jews at your work. See what they would like to be served. Also probably the ham should be on a separate table. My Jewish friend made him last year.

berniefreex44 Elsmere, KY
03/21/15 9:05 am

Not everyone celebrates Easter. It should be open to everyone including the Jewish.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
03/20/15 11:41 pm

I'd remove the ham, not the Jews. Or maybe just add turkey or chicken.

4boot LaTrineodeur, MN
03/20/15 9:56 pm

Christ was a Jew, as was most of the early church. IMO, we Christians through the centuries have adopted traditions that make no sense considering our origins, e.g, how does eating ham, dying eggs, and the Easter Bunny relate to the Cruxifiction?

4boot LaTrineodeur, MN
03/20/15 10:06 pm

I try to keep my Christian beliefs in the context of their origins. E.g., I believe in the Saturday Sabbath, don't eat pork or shellfish, and try to learn about the Old Testament Festivals. I just politely refuse pork when offered...no explanation.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
03/20/15 11:47 pm

Do you follow DerekA? He's become a Messianic Jew and has similar beliefs to yours. I'm studying the Festivals myself. But I still eat pork, ham, and bacon. I'll stop if God convicts me about it. I'm also looking into a Biblical Hebrew course.

4boot LaTrineodeur, MN
03/21/15 12:33 am

I believe dietary restrictions on pork and other things were for health reasons. The early church was divided on this and other matters. Restrictions were lifted to make it easier for new Christians. Not a big issue, I prefer to follow original.

4boot LaTrineodeur, MN
03/21/15 12:51 am

One story of the Bible is of the "lost" 10 tribes of Israel. Some speculate those tribes settled in Northern Europe and the US...? Patriarch Israel had 12 sons by 4 women. Those 12 begat the "12 tribes", one being Judah from whom Christ descended.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
03/21/15 1:04 am

Right. Have you read "None of These Diseases" by S.I. McMillan, MD? A Christian doctor shows why the Mosaic laws were medically sound. The pork prohibition was to prevent trichinosis if the meat was not sufficiently cooked in the desert.

4boot LaTrineodeur, MN
03/21/15 7:29 pm

Thanks tlaney1, haven't read it, but have heard of similar findings.

ronderman North Carolina
03/20/15 5:59 pm

You are Jewish aren't you? Do you eat kosher? If you do, then you have a right to mention it. Don't feel guilty at all.

nnifer Alpha Quadrant
03/20/15 6:25 pm

No. I'm not kosher. It's just kind of insulting. I would prefer they just don't mention Passover at all. I don't want to be a bitch. I tried explaining it to them in a very light manner. Now it's become a joke.

ronderman North Carolina
03/20/15 8:42 pm

Well, you do live in New York. Isn't there a substantial Jewish population up there? I would think people would be more careful. I only know one Jewish person and we go out of our way at parties for him.

alynn Somewhere wonderful
03/28/15 8:11 am

nnifer: I was just watching a cooking show that reminded me of this poll. I came back to see what happened. I'm sorry that your comment to the party planners was received in such a flippant manner. I'm really glad you mentioned it though.

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
03/20/15 5:51 pm

Many jewish ppl don't keep kosher but I would still consider it in poor taste for a holiday based on religious celebration. I *would* point that out to whoever is organizing the affair. Almost anything other than pork/ham would be better option. imo.

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
03/20/15 5:51 pm

alynn Somewhere wonderful
03/20/15 5:46 pm

I'd say something, not to complain, but in order to prevent an awkward situation because of the ham at Passover. That's not appropriate and may offend the very folks the company intends to celebrate with.

MrsCzarCastic
03/20/15 1:36 pm

I would say something to educate them on the traditions of he holiday. What about a nice salmon or something? I'm Catholic but Catholicism stems from the Jewish religion and I am very respectful of the beliefs and traditions.

Torfin Never Behind
03/20/15 1:30 pm

You might take the coordinator aside and point that out if they are resistant then drop it. If it is a dietary restriction of yours then avoid it.

iPolitix Political Party Animal
03/20/15 1:30 pm

Easter is Passover--but Passover is not Easter. The word "Pasch" (paschal) means "Passover" & came to mean "Easter" to English speakers. Jesus (Lamb of God/Passover sacrifice) was crucified @ the beginning of Jewish Passover & rose again @ the end.

iPolitix Political Party Animal
03/20/15 1:34 pm

The ham though? They should at least offer a good brisket or mutton. And don't forget the wine 🍷 ... For spiritual tradition.

Atheist A sheep amidst wolves
03/20/15 1:23 pm

My experiences speaking up in similar situations never had good outcomes.

EarlyBird Portland
03/20/15 3:42 pm

I agree and its more about the work get together than the food.

MaxineL New Jersey
03/20/15 1:17 pm

I think you need to educate them. Let them know that ham is not appropriate for any Jewish holiday!

USNavyVet Sonar Man STG2
03/20/15 12:44 pm

Party time,be quiet.🎂🍦🍪🍰🍭

jvc1133 61535
03/20/15 12:19 pm

Ham was kinda traditional in my family for Easter, ham for Passover think again.

Christian1459 Cookin Trouble
03/20/15 12:24 pm

Yeah I know. I see where you're coming from. Personally I eat food, so I wouldn't have a problem with the ham.

Christian1459 Cookin Trouble
03/20/15 12:24 pm

Damn. Hate when I type it to wrong comment..

Christian1459 Cookin Trouble
03/20/15 12:17 pm

I love Passover! I think personally you should let it be. But then again, I don't know if I'd answer differently if did not celebrate Jewish holidays.

nnifer Alpha Quadrant
03/20/15 12:21 pm

You can't eat ham for Passover.

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
03/20/15 1:14 pm

I agree with nnifer, but I'd put it a little differently.

Although many Jews *do not *keep kosher and *do* eat pork products, it is incongruous to serve pork at a Jewish holiday celebration. Yes, most likely, including Passover was an afterthought.

nnifer Alpha Quadrant
03/20/15 1:17 pm

Thank you. I was having wording difficulty

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
03/20/15 1:20 pm

Whether or not you speak up depends on a lot of factors. Where do you work? Do you have a good relationship with management & coworkers? Are religious holiday celebrations common? Would they take your input as constructive criticism or complaining?

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
03/20/15 1:21 pm

If I worked there, I would probably be "chicken" and just keep quiet. I'm not saying that's right, but it's just me.

nnifer Alpha Quadrant
03/20/15 1:26 pm

Yeah. I think I'm done with my rant.

Mattwall1
03/20/15 6:39 pm

It's up to you nnifer. But yeah, ham at a passover celebration (even if involving Easter)? I mean, it's literally something that feels so foreign that I wouldn't have even thought it would be done, and I've eaten a bacon cheeseburger on a Jewish

Mattwall1
03/20/15 6:39 pm

Holiday (though not at a celebration for it)