cpaswr March 19th, 2015 10:57pm

Inspired by TheMadScientist and other voting polls. Should "None Of The Above" be automatically put as an option on the ballot on all elections?

smarttexan More Moderate Than U
03/19/15 6:48 pm

Is asking the exact question someone else asked really inspired by them?

cpaswr just say the letters
03/19/15 7:34 pm

TMS didn't ask this question as far as I know. TMS made a comment about watching the movie Brewster's Millions (which I have seen). In the movie, Brewster ran for Mayor of NYC while adding None of the Above to the ballot.

Laserbeam Crazy bird lady
03/19/15 6:19 pm

Sure I guess. But if selecting that option is your intention, why bother voting? You're throwing away your vote

cpaswr just say the letters
03/19/15 7:35 pm

It could be the choice of the disenfranchised voter.

cpaswr just say the letters
03/19/15 4:03 pm

Add it to the ballot. Even if it is nonbinding, I think it would send a message to the politicians to know if they won an election while losing to None Of The Above.

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
03/20/15 2:38 pm

I don't see the point. You can accomplish the same thing by leaving your ballot blank, if so inclined.

cpaswr just say the letters
03/20/15 6:25 pm

Blank ballots aren't tallied to my knowledge.

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
03/20/15 6:37 pm

Ok, I was thinking of the poll about Obama's suggestion of mandatory voting. I guess that wasn't the spirit of your question. I still think a 'none of the above' option is redundant. Also, how can a vote be 'non-binding'? That's contradictory.

cpaswr just say the letters
03/20/15 6:53 pm

By non-binding, I mean that None Of The Above won't win the election even if it "wins" the election.

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
03/20/15 8:12 pm

Technically, if 'none of the above' wins, that means we need a new election. None of the presented candidates are acceptable to the electorate. I'm a literalist. That's how I would read it. If it was added to the ballot and won, but a candidate ...

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
03/20/15 8:16 pm

... on the ballot took office anyway, I would feel that was fraudulent.

I think you are seeing it simply as a protest vote. There are far better ways of protesting, in my opinion. The 'none of the above' vote appears passive aggressive to me.

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
03/20/15 8:18 pm

56% disagree with me.

cpaswr just say the letters
03/20/15 8:23 pm

It is a type of protest vote. I just think that it may "force" a politician to work harder to win votes by properly representing the people if he/she knows that more people wouldn't want to see him/her in office than actually voted to elect them.

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
03/20/15 9:27 pm

No, I really don't think it would have that effect. As long as it is non-binding, (that is, as long as it doesn't force a new election with new candidates), the politician won't care.

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
03/20/15 9:29 pm

Do you want to make another poll, with that specific question? I'm curious.

cpaswr just say the letters
03/21/15 4:58 am

Sure. I'll post it later this morning.