Show Of Hands January 17th, 2013 12:00am

Have you ever been scammed online badly enough that it impacted your "real life"?

redwolf143
01/23/13 8:47 am

Pool being installed, company pulled a bait and switch and up charged $7k. Avoid blue world ( the one that's all over the tv) like the plague.

Joey5Girl
01/21/13 8:01 pm

I never online shop but my credit card information has been copied twice now, a different credit card both times. We're at the point where our bank will notify us for anything above $50.

Joey5Girl
01/21/13 7:57 pm

My credit card has been copied twice in 3 weeks, two different cards. Don't know how it keeps happening. But, I'm counting that as being scammed.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
01/21/13 12:36 pm

Diablo 2 here. Someone hacked my account and stole all of my armor and jewels. Dirty rat.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
01/21/13 12:34 pm

It's hard to rob someone with no money. Lol. (me, not you)

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
01/21/13 12:31 pm

If you take the ending price of the examples they show, and multiply it by 60¢ per penny of the price, the penny auction sites make 2,3,4 or more times the regular cost of the item in profit. I wouldn't call it a scam per se, but unlike a regular auction you lose your money even if you don't win.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
01/21/13 12:27 pm

I, for one, applaud you! Every citizen has the duty to be the first line of defense against criminals. Thank you!

huskermedic Cincinnati
01/19/13 8:29 am

So far I have not been scammed.

Fact Fact
01/19/13 3:51 am

We had our own guns.

bridges2012 Oxnard, CA
01/18/13 8:17 pm

You'd have to be pretty naive to fall for something like that.

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
01/18/13 8:13 pm

That's a brilliant idea! I'll start doing that with any that get past my filters.

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
01/18/13 7:50 pm

And make sure that it's a REAL and reputable escrow company. Plenty of scam escrow folks out there.

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
01/18/13 7:48 pm

Only about as lucky as any other person who doesn't block pop-ups. ;)

cawench
01/18/13 7:11 pm

I find online scams uber easy to spot. The fallacious lies that my conservative friends send me are also transparent. It makes me chuckle sadly that they are sucked in by such dreck.

BlackBenz Northwest Arkansas
01/18/13 5:26 pm

That is really sad. Sorry that happened to you.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
01/18/13 4:43 pm

I was going to be a secret shopper. They sent me a very generous check I had to deposit in the bank and then send money off to Nigeria to make sure that Western Union was actually working. I'm not that dumb!!!!

EarlyBird Portland
01/18/13 2:54 pm

BB - of course something like that would happen to you!

susanr Colorado
01/18/13 2:06 pm

I'm pretty careful about online shopping - I do a lot but only with legitimate businesses & haven't had a problem. The only credit card fraud I've been a victim of was apparently attempted by someone who took advantage of a card swipe at a local business. (CC company called me to check, so no prob.)

susanr Colorado
01/18/13 2:02 pm

I used to get the emails from potential Russian brides. I could have used one to do my housework when I was working.

neferure in a foreign country
01/18/13 1:37 pm

I fell in love with a guy I met online. Skype dating basically. Some sexting & phone sex, I admit. After a few months we were about to finally meet- when he tells me he can't because he's married. And of course, I wept for days.

zedd Desert Dweller
01/18/13 1:16 pm

While your intentions were honorable, vigilantism isn't the answer. What if the jerk was carrying a gun? You should have contacted the police and let the professionals handle it.

chinito Florida
01/18/13 8:08 am

You cared enough to reply

chinito Florida
01/18/13 8:06 am

I am a prince of Nigeria and have 83 million Dollars and my goverment want to take it from me. Please send me your name, address, phone, bank account, SSN, email, password, previous addresses, mother's maiden name, make and model of first car, city you born, and a blank piece of paper signed.....

mstar1 Saint Cloud
01/18/13 8:05 am

No, but I have been so badly scammed in "real Life" that it drastically impacted my "online life"

BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

kingpacman23 KCCO
01/18/13 7:59 am

Busty Russians in my area want to see me; must be because of all the free iPads I won

BlackBenz Northwest Arkansas
01/18/13 7:16 am

She looked like a normal, brunette, early 20's college girl. She was nuts.

dabomb
01/18/13 5:40 am

@tddaddy I meant no disrespect I was laughing when I said it. I love both of those as well especially filling out a bracket & constantly checking it with a hi lighter & pen!

Fact Fact
01/18/13 4:53 am

We lured a man to a friends house pretending we were a 14 year old girl that would have sex with him. 2 friends and myself were going to kick his ass but he made it back to his car too fast. Im sure that was a bad online scam for him.

canecorso Las Vegas Nv
01/18/13 4:22 am

Lmao. Yea there's give and take in everything isn't there? Don't worry after all I'm sure (if you have email) you've won a lottery from somewhere! Lol

jimmyjelly BFE, PA
01/18/13 4:15 am

But my wife probably spent enough after that trying to buy other shit.
We still lost out.

robolds Initiative
01/18/13 4:01 am

I bought some swamp land in Florida online. Was that a bad idea?

gonzoboy Arizona
01/18/13 4:00 am

Not personally. I don't know if "scammed" is the SAME as identity theft, but 3 friends have been a victim. Purchases were being made in their names, each in Russia, Mexico, and Texas. It's been enough for me to develop a HEALTHY paranoia in my online activitie$. Gots to be vigilant!

canecorso Las Vegas Nv
01/18/13 3:59 am

Jimmy I think you may have been a rare lucky one. Or maybe that was before so many people knew about the site. I was amazed when I watched that auction and the price the auction house was getting. I am too cheap to risk money like that.

jimmyjelly BFE, PA
01/18/13 3:46 am

A few years ago I got an iPad 1 on a penny auction site. Cost 67$ plus 50$ for my bids.
i totally came out ahead.

twotired
01/18/13 1:02 am

I wonder if Manti Te'o knows they took gullible out of the dictionary...

tdaddy diversity
01/18/13 1:00 am

Oh yeah, and the Superbowl... Great commercials and usually a great halftime show... Don't care who wins. (:

tdaddy diversity
01/18/13 12:59 am

That's right! I only watch one sports event every year, the college basketball playoffs if a team from KY is playing.

canecorso Las Vegas Nv
01/18/13 12:52 am

And how much (if you don't mind me asking) did you end up paying for the iPad?

canecorso Las Vegas Nv
01/18/13 12:51 am

Oh yeah one of them damn penny auction sites got $20 bucks off me. 55 cents a bid and gotta bid a gazillion times to win anything. After that I stopped looking for too good to be true. I'll save myself the headache and just buy it at the store with the lowest price.

praetorianus65
01/18/13 12:09 am

you missed the opportunity to get a 10% share from a 20 million bank account in Nigeria whose holder died and you luckily bear his last name so all you have to do is give all your private info - they'll transfer the 20 mil to you to avoid confiscation. Just send some processing fee up front ;)

kut17
01/17/13 11:36 pm

"free pics" ;)

kut17
01/17/13 11:36 pm

Oh really? Cause I've been specially selected in my area to receive $100,000 multiple times. I'm set for life!!

praetorianus65
01/17/13 11:19 pm

What I get offered often is getting a "free" tablet or such IF I choose one or several overpriced items I don't need and don't trust that cost more than the tablet is worth, not knowing if I ever receive the "free" tablet. Just because they profiled me as nerd doesn't mean I'm a sucker ;)

centexken Republic of Texas
01/17/13 10:49 pm

When they are some random stranger on the Internet they are females.

palindrome California
01/17/13 10:37 pm

Man, you guys are all really unlucky!

I'm always finding myself winning a free iPad and laptops!

Should be here any day now....