lovethatreba March 18th, 2015 9:31pm

Starbucks CEO wants baristas to start conversations with customers about race issues. Good idea or none of their business

mc88 Cleveland OSU
03/18/15 6:23 pm

Idiot. Makes you wonder how he can be a CEO

03/18/15 6:17 pm

Not. I don't frequent businesses for political/social discussions & I certainly am not interested in a lecture on "sanctioned behavior, etc" relative to race issues by someone who doesn't know me/my views, etc. Serve a decent coffee, smile, be kind.

03/18/15 6:23 pm

The first time I'm confronted w/such an interaction will be my last visit to Starbucks until I hear this has been fully abandoned. The entire *idea* makes presumptions that even those w/strong against discrimination/etc are likely to find offensive.

MrMilkdud
03/18/15 6:23 pm

Exactly. Not to mention that most Starbucks employees I see are 1/2 my age. I don't need to be questioned about my social awareness by some noseringed college dropout living in his parents' basement who voted last election to steal more of my money.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
03/18/15 7:58 pm

It doesn't have to be about the employee having a conversation with you. It can be about getting you to talk to the person next to you in line it doesn't have to be a complicated process just sparking some kind of thought beyond hi and goodbye.

MrMilkdud
03/18/15 8:14 pm

Blue, I'm not going to talk to the person next to me about something as sensitive as race relations, and I'm not going to say anything to the guy making my drink that might compel him to spit in it.
This is a stupid, stupid idea.

MrMilkdud
03/18/15 8:15 pm

It smacks of the free wheeling idealism of people who live in a sociocultural bubble where they believe everyone agrees with them and that they're right about everything.
You know- like most people who go to Starbucks.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
03/18/15 8:38 pm

We talk about it here, why not in person. Anything we talk about on here we should be willing to discuss in person with others.

03/18/15 8:53 pm

We talk about this stuff here becuz *that's why we came here*. We *can* & should talk about these things - but not stuff this deep & important in settings not conducive to *discussing* them, in depth, w/due respect to its importance.

03/18/15 8:56 pm

I am *very* to *discuss* these things. But not in the *maybe* 10-15 mins I'm going to be in the local Starbucks... in which I'm going to decide what I want, pay for it, while I'm thinking about where I'm on my way to as soon as I get it. Which leaves

03/18/15 8:57 pm

... *maybe* 3-5 minutes to start up the conversation before my coffee is ready & I'm on my way. A conversation about *race relations*??? No. Thank you.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
03/18/15 9:18 pm

I like the concept and attempt. The topic they chose to try and start it off with might not be best, I say start smaller and build up to that and other big issues eventually

03/18/15 9:27 pm

Agree. The idea, as posed, is just a bit ambitious is all. Passion doesn't always calculate practicality. :-)

ronderman North Carolina
03/18/15 6:11 pm

Another reason not to go to Starbucks.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
03/18/15 5:31 pm

I dibtv think it's bad. Nothing good wrong with getting people to talk about more than the weather in public. If we talk about it here online we can talk about it in person

MrMilkdud
03/18/15 5:56 pm

"Here's your coffee. So what do you think about black people?"

It's a stupid idea.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
03/18/15 6:19 pm

It's all about approach, if people use tact then it's good.

MrMilkdud
03/18/15 6:20 pm

It's not about tact. I don't want to have any conversation with the guy behind the counter, much less get a lecture about race relations.
A "barista" serves one function for me, and it isn't community organizer.

03/18/15 6:29 pm

The barista doesn't know me. I don't them. It is, for me, no different than a salesman or proselytizer assuming I appreciate them knocking on my door to push something on me I address in *other* ways. It is, imo, rude to presume that's why I'm there.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
03/18/15 7:54 pm

Not wanting to have any conversation with them is the first problem. Thinking get it will be a lecture is the second. I see it as a conversation starter. Just to get people thinking about important topics. As a society we need to have more

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
03/18/15 7:56 pm

Conversations with people we meet. Our friends and family already know us in regards to things beyond the weather, we need to bring those convos to the community at large as well. Just talk to people.

MrMilkdud
03/18/15 8:07 pm

Blue- that's not how this is going to happen. You're going to be in line, and the person behind you and the people behind them will have to sit there and wait while you and an entry level Starbucks employee solve the world's problems.

03/18/15 8:34 pm

I have *plenty* of conversations w/ppl I don't know. *Casual* conversations - not "fire-starting" issues w/total strangers. If *you* want to, have at it. Let me know how it works out for you. I'll stick to safer topics than *race relations*, tyvm.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
03/18/15 8:37 pm

I don't think there is one way it will happen. Every employee and every customer will handle it differently. I just like the overall concept of trying to get people to talk beyond the hi and how you doing layer. We need that as a society

03/18/15 8:38 pm

I don't go to *Starbucks* to make friends or solve the world's problems. I just want my coffee & be on my way. There are more appropriate venues for the kind of thing you & Starbucks' CEO are suggesting.

03/18/15 8:40 pm

You're right, blue. And my way is to pass, tyvm. I agree that "society" needs to talk about these things more. I simply disagree that this particular venue & circumstance is the optimal way to get it done.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
03/18/15 8:44 pm

I guess I don't understand why the venue is bad. I will say I've only been to Starbucks about 10 tines in my life

03/18/15 8:50 pm

*Most* ppl going to Starbucks are on their way somewhere else. Work, a meeting, whatever. They plan to run in & out, if they don't go thru drive-thru. If they want to chat they are w/SO &/or friends, but probably still on their way elsewhere.

Casper Deep inthe Heart ofTexas
03/18/15 4:54 pm

Good for Starbucks, bad for race relations

AbandonedAccnt Not here.
03/18/15 4:38 pm

Lots of opportunities for that to go wrong.

AbandonedAccnt Not here.
03/18/15 4:39 pm

"Now I demand a free coffee because of the insensitivity....."

susanr Colorado
03/18/15 3:14 pm

Maybe a well intended idea to encourage people to talk about it in a neutral (?) setting, but it seems entirely like the wrong place to try to do it. Who wants to stand in line any longer than they have to for a cup of coffee.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
03/18/15 6:20 pm

There are people who hang out at starbucks. (Not me I don't drink coffee) but the concept I think is just to get more people thinking in hopes some will start talking about it

03/18/15 6:34 pm

Makes me wonder how much time CEO actually *spends* in *average* Starbucks. Most ppl just want their order, in a decently brief time & a smile from the barista. Those who stay are either working or want to be left in peace. Great idea; wrong place.

think4yourself Not a safe space
03/18/15 3:02 pm

Customer "I'll take a coffee with cream"
Barista "do you dislike black people as much as black coffee?"
Customer "no, I just like coffee creamy"
Barista "did you not order chai tea because you hate Asians?"
Customer "No, I just want coffee"

rickvee Living the dream
03/18/15 3:50 pm

Bwahahahaha!!!!

03/18/15 6:39 pm

This has got disaster written all over it. Presumes barista are both competent/interested on their side & that customer will be receptive on other. Like sending high school Sunday School class to knock on stranger's door to ask if they know Jesus.