Ru12bseen March 18th, 2015 2:41pm

Based on some recent convo in a comment section: sexual objectification: is this concept applied any time one person views another sexually or should it be used when a person (people) are viewed sexually against their wishes?

ladyniner81 no hope for humanity
03/19/15 12:29 pm

Watch Lifetime channel. There's your sexual objectification right there. Stupid, horny, clueless women

Zod Above Pugetropolis
03/18/15 1:35 pm

The concept exists all the time, but only with a negative connotation if it is unwanted. She may well have gone to a lot of trouble to get the right reaction out of you. It would be rude (and unwise) not to notice.

tenletters New York
03/18/15 1:27 pm

Based on the definition of objectification, sexual objectification seems to be when one views someone as a sex object and nothing more, which is different than sexualization, in which something is given sexual qualities or character.

firefly5 the verse
03/18/15 3:27 pm

Exactly. I'm fairly certain that there are times one wants to be viewed sexually, too.

im4na
03/18/15 1:05 pm

"Damnn, Jimmy. Look at her tits! And her ass, dear fucking God. I'd fuck her all night!"

My answer: All the damn time

ladyniner81 no hope for humanity
03/19/15 12:24 pm

"Man, I'd bend her over, and I'd" oh, never mind, I don't feel like getting disgusting. That's one way of putting it

EarlyBird Portland
03/18/15 1:04 pm

The phrase leads nothing to think it would be against ones will.

MurrayHitchens The Truth Wins Out
03/18/15 12:38 pm

Everything is "objectification". You appreciate your parents cause they were caring, supportive, and had a trust bond with you. If they were irresponsible, uncaring, unsupportive, untrusting, and completely useless you would feel differently.

aj1545 Cat Lady
03/18/15 12:18 pm

Thats a good question. I think it can be either, its even a fetish for some. Work for others. It can also be anything from annoying to very violent. Im never sure what people mean since its often used as only the negative way.

ronderman North Carolina
03/18/15 12:08 pm

It's when any ugly woman sees a man look at an attractive woman.

ronderman North Carolina
03/19/15 1:08 pm

Exactly, but they would call it objectification by the male. Jealousy is hard to see in the mirror.

Ru12bseen Ignoring the Ignorant
03/19/15 4:41 pm

I'm ducking behind a cement wall, ronder... Lol

Ru12bseen Ignoring the Ignorant
03/18/15 10:19 am

Haha. You had to pick one to get here, though. 😏

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
03/18/15 8:40 am

I'd say go with forced. It's unwanted but it is also made clear it is unwanted.

TheMadScientist the mad laboratory
03/18/15 8:28 am

To objectify a person is to remove their agency. To inflict objectification is a display of wealth and strength (think peacock tails and "I'm worth that"). The feeling it gives is that belonging is conditional - be it on looks or ability.

TheMadScientist the mad laboratory
03/18/15 8:29 am

Conditional belonging is episodic and irrational. This makes it a breeding ground for abuse.

TheMadScientist the mad laboratory
03/18/15 8:32 am

As to the specifics of your question, this is always true. If I only value EarlyBird because she says witty things, then I am objectifying her. She feels she must say witty things to stay "in group." If she doesn't have healthy boundaries,

Arananthi Literal Ninja
03/18/15 8:32 am

Pretty much exactly what I was going to say. :) The entire purpose of OBJECTification is to justify treating someone like an object -- like you're its owner and entitled to abuse the object as you see fit.

TheMadScientist the mad laboratory
03/18/15 8:34 am

it can get bad. Changing goal posts makes previously witty comments worth only scorn. Her self esteem plummets. She is trapped by being an object of wit.

*please note: aspects of people being objectified have been changed to protect the innocent.

Arananthi Literal Ninja
03/18/15 8:35 am

Any time you look at someone sexually, basically by definition you're thinking about using them for sex -- with or without their consent. You might not explicitly be thinking "I'd like to rape them," but you are at the very least imagining an assumed

Arananthi Literal Ninja
03/18/15 8:35 am

level of consent that isn't necessarily present, which is what makes it objectification.

Ru12bseen Ignoring the Ignorant
03/18/15 8:50 am

Then isn't "everything" objectification?

TheMadScientist the mad laboratory
03/18/15 8:57 am

Belonging is on a spectrum. On one extreme is conditional belonging. On the other extreme, beyond equality, is servant leadership. In America, we focus on citizenship and ownership - they are in the middle - with the latter slightly more conditional.

TheMadScientist the mad laboratory
03/18/15 9:02 am

My wife and I met when we were older and are very much so citizens of each other.

Pirate Uses the Tap
03/18/15 7:54 am

I vote forced, when it is against someone's wishes. Some people like it. I've always liked it so I don't see it in a negative way at all. Objectify me. Sounds like the title of a new song doesn't it? 😊

Ru12bseen Ignoring the Ignorant
03/18/15 8:02 am

It does! A good one, too. Lol.

TierasPet
03/18/15 8:07 am

I'm with you Pirate.

golfer golfing
03/18/15 7:48 am

If the term sexual objectification is to mean anything, then it must be the latter choice. People are actual physical objects so objectification in the most literal sense is impossible to avoid.

Ru12bseen Ignoring the Ignorant
03/18/15 7:44 am

If you vote always, I'd like to understand what attraction means to you? How do you compliment your SO physically?

Arananthi Literal Ninja
03/18/15 8:38 am

When you have an established relationship, you also have an established presumable level of consent. That doesn't mean it isn't objectification -- it just means that being objectified (by you) isn't objectionable to your SO. Which is normal.

Arananthi Literal Ninja
03/18/15 8:39 am

That's the rub -- objectification isn't always bad. The problem is training people to objectify as a default, which is what you're doing when you do things like set the T&A level of nominally non-sexual media like comic books to '11.'

Ru12bseen Ignoring the Ignorant
03/18/15 8:48 am

Good points. As with so much, this is a subject that requires discernment and maturity rather than concrete absolute ideology. The poll is to maybe help some who would be hardliners about it see some "shades of grey" if you will. Lol.

SticksandStones Stop fearmongering
03/18/15 7:42 am

Objectification is defined as viewing someone as an object. As long as you're doing that, it's sexual objectification.

Ru12bseen Ignoring the Ignorant
03/18/15 7:45 am

That's the hardline dictionary definition, true. However, this isn't as B/W as that.

SticksandStones Stop fearmongering
03/18/15 7:47 am

Eh, I see it as fairly black and white, but that may just be my asexuality kicking in. I don't see how you can't look at someone as an object no matter if they want you to or not.