TerryQuinn March 17th, 2015 3:20am

Would you rather take a core course in your major that uses a publisher's textbook or one that uses a course pack (i.e. text is written by prof and/or collated from other sources) at a reduced price?

FacePalm That Trick Never Works
03/19/15 1:38 am

The cost of education ...
...

I think it's unconscionable that the choice must be made.

FacePalm That Trick Never Works
03/18/15 6:38 am

I prefer a course that utilizes both, actually.

TerryQuinn Stardust
03/18/15 4:37 pm

Yes, that's the best of both worlds but doesn't help reduce the cost of education.

2katz I live in Nebraska
03/18/15 2:07 am

Depends on the subject.

TerryQuinn Stardust
03/18/15 4:40 pm

Agree, but that's why I said core course in major (as opposed to a elective seminar course or a gen Ed course). Say it's an import course for your field.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
03/17/15 2:07 pm

Textbooks often cover a lot of related material never specifically covered by the course. Like getting a bonus education at no extra charge. Way better.

TerryQuinn Stardust
03/17/15 7:06 pm

Agreed. Some people complain that textbooks have too much information but I always liked having as much info for my buck. I also like the graphics.

AbandonedAccnt Not here.
03/17/15 12:54 pm

My experience is that the textbooks are better.

TerryQuinn Stardust
03/17/15 7:05 pm

Agreed. Some books are terrible, but most have gone through a good deal of editing and are packed with information and nice graphics. Course packs can sometimes seem like they were thrown together in a rush.

Krazy1 One for fun
03/17/15 12:45 pm

Text books are ridiculously priced. The schools and publishers make out like bandits. Particularly when they revise it; often making the previous version pretty worthless.

TerryQuinn Stardust
03/17/15 6:59 pm

Schools only make money if students buy through the bookstore and a good chunk goes to the book distributor which is the middleman between publishers and schools.

TerryQuinn Stardust
03/17/15 7:02 pm

I agree publisher prices are ridiculous but part of the issue is that it's so easy now for students to find used textbooks or skip the book and try to get by with internet searches, so they need to raise prices on those that buy the book.It's a mess.

Krystina Let Freedom Reign
03/17/15 8:35 am

I've never seen, had any experience with, or even heard of a course pack prior to this question, so I chose textbook.

TerryQuinn Stardust
03/17/15 6:57 pm

It's not very common. So profs do it to cut down on costs to students and tailor the course to what they teach. It's great in theory, but some profs are better teachers than writers :)

eLucidate writing
03/16/15 8:23 pm

Coursepack, but I've had a few that were unfairly priced.

TerryQuinn Stardust
03/16/15 8:25 pm

My issue with courspacks is that it very much depends on the prof. Some are good but some not so good. It's a crapshoot. Textbooks can be bad too, but I've liked most of mine. Just not liking the price.

eLucidate writing
03/16/15 9:00 pm

My experience may be atypical, but I've found that a professor who designs the content is more engaged/interested in teaching. However, when it's a school-specific text, I have been disappointed.

PeppyHare Do a barrel roll
03/17/15 7:52 am

When I was an undergrad some profs got busted for getting kickbacks from the company making some of the course packs.

TerryQuinn Stardust
03/17/15 6:54 pm

Yep, there's been a few profs busted for doing that. (Or maybe I just keep hearing different stories about the same prof).