Holiday March 17th, 2015 2:27am

Why do teachers pursue a career they know in advance is not going to yield a high paying job, then turn around and bellyache about how low paid they are?

CowHick See 8ch
03/19/15 4:05 pm

I know right? They can't even beat the kids!

ozzy
03/19/15 8:03 am

Some are paid very well

typetype level 2 pretty
03/18/15 6:44 pm

They are ignorant of how %#$&! The system really is. My sister's friend taught 1st and 2nd grade in Oklahoma for several years. She recently quit because she married a doctor and she said half the kids' parents either didn't speak English and were

typetype level 2 pretty
03/18/15 6:48 pm

Afraid to communicate w the school, the parents were in jail, or didnt care. Said she felt bad but she didn't even want to touch the children because she had become so weary of getting lice. Had another friend taught JH in TX, purdy much the same.

KudosToYou California
03/16/15 11:53 pm

Because people go into jobs for more than just the pay, but that doesn't stop them from trying to get paid more.

cowtown2
03/16/15 11:04 pm

I think teachers pursue that career because they feel it's their passion/gift/purpose to teach. There are greater rewards in life than earning top dollars. Impacting another's life with knowledge is very rewarding.

cowtown2
03/16/15 11:05 pm

BTW - I never hear teachers complain about their pay.

think4yourself Not a safe space
03/16/15 11:22 pm

I have friends and family members that are teachers and they love having summers off, winter and spring break, and all the holidays in between. You can't beat the pay and benefits for all the time off.

cowtown2
03/16/15 11:30 pm

So true!

think4yourself Not a safe space
03/16/15 7:35 pm

It is actually one of the highest paying jobs per hour you can get. What other job gets nearly four months off per year?

Wino I need a drink
03/16/15 9:41 pm

I calculated my first year salary vs hours (not just teaching, but creating lesson plans, grading papers, meeting with parents, and so on), I was paid just over minimum wage. Thankfully I was able to work during the summer to make cash to save.

Wino I need a drink
03/17/15 5:42 am

Currently 0. I'm a stay at home mom because paying for a nanny would have taken up my net salary.
In 2000, my first year teaching, it was about 28,000.

Kay41 the Midwest
03/16/15 7:32 pm

Well, to start with, not all of us do that. But, this is also true for people of all professions.

MrChris80 California
03/16/15 8:09 pm

Really? I dont find doctors, lawyers, engineers, police officers, or fire fighters complaining about their wages very often at all.

Kay41 the Midwest
03/16/15 8:14 pm

How about secretaries, office workers, taxi drivers, managers, reporters, etc? Of course the high paying jobs don't complain. Why would they? Having said that, I never said some teachers don't complain.

MrChris80 California
03/16/15 8:15 pm

But you did say "all professions."

Kay41 the Midwest
03/16/15 8:16 pm

So sorry, most professions.

Wino I need a drink
03/16/15 9:43 pm

I've heard doctors complain. Pediatricians are the lowest paid doctors and they complain. I've heard lawyers complain also. Mostly because the pay barely covers all the loans they had to take out. People complain when they feel they aren't valued.

Wino I need a drink
03/16/15 9:44 pm

Also LOL on the firefighters and police officers. I suggest you talk to more of them about their pay.