Ru12bseen March 16th, 2015 6:40pm

Based on a seminar I experienced: you're reviewing resumes & are down to two. You've not seen either cand. One has a name that is unique & spelled strangely. The other has a more common/familiar name. You can only interview one. Do you lean toward

ladyniner81 no hope for humanity
03/17/15 11:49 am

How stupid. I'd probably go by name because I'd feel embarrassed if I mispronounce their name over and over ( yes, that sounds seriously retarded right? ) seriously, I'd find a way to interview both

TheIndian Virgo Supercluster
03/16/15 7:42 pm

I answered unique, but I'd just draw NAMES out of a hat, if you know what I mean

ozzy
03/16/15 4:44 pm

Name is no way to decide

Esha
03/16/15 3:48 pm

People probably don't like dumb unique names. Like Shampoo or something.

MrLove lovers, dreamers and me
03/16/15 1:52 pm

Stupid policy. I'm going to at least give a phone call to each qualifying candidate.

RoDe Latinus wordsus
03/16/15 1:36 pm

I've seen studies that show people tend to choose the more familiar name. With that in mind, the familiar name pool is probably over picked, leaving untapped talent in the unique name group. So I would pick that candidate.

Krystina Let Freedom Reign
03/16/15 12:46 pm

The resumes won't be identical. I'm looking for the differences there and choosing the candidate that seems the most suitable. Better yet, if I have the chance to call each even for only a couple of mins, I'm making a judgment based upon that call.

Ru12bseen Ignoring the Ignorant
03/16/15 3:38 pm

But which did you pick, cheater pants. 😉

Krystina Let Freedom Reign
03/16/15 6:55 pm

I went with the most accurate response based on my knowledge of psychology. That said, we are most likely to go with what is most similar/familiar to us, so I chose "familiar."

TheMadScientist the mad laboratory
03/16/15 12:32 pm

So I can only interview one person? What's the point of the interview? Are there already many candidates lined up?

If this is my Hail Mary interview, I'm going unique - but more unique than just a name. Give me the guy who has no business applying.

Ru12bseen Ignoring the Ignorant
03/16/15 12:33 pm

Regarding the limits I set on the poll, see my response to Blue down below.

Ru12bseen Ignoring the Ignorant
03/16/15 12:33 pm

Lol. Which is how I got several of my jobs. Thanks to people like you. 👍👍👍

Zod Above Pugetropolis
03/16/15 12:18 pm

There almost has to be something in the resumes more compelling than their names. If not, it doesn't really matter which I interview, because neither stands out. I probably wouldn't pick based on names in that case, I'd flip a coin.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
03/16/15 12:25 pm

You find something else about them. Highly unlikely to be identical resumes.

Ru12bseen Ignoring the Ignorant
03/16/15 12:33 pm

Not identical, sure, but practically identical. Meaning that the experience and education are equivalent but could be dramatically different.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
03/16/15 12:09 pm

Why can't you interview both? Realistically you would

Ru12bseen Ignoring the Ignorant
03/16/15 12:13 pm

Because that's not what happens, Blue. In the real world, we have stacks of resumes in front of us and I've seen people tossed just for this reason. I limited the question to force one or the other to simulate the same situation.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
03/16/15 12:25 pm

Well I was thinking narrowed down to two. More than 1 person usually gets intetviewed.

d6410 Texas
03/16/15 3:39 pm

Based in my working experience more than one almost always gets picked.

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
03/16/15 4:37 pm

You should look at it as a hypothetical question. Play along and answer, "as if" it happened.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
03/16/15 4:49 pm

For voting get purposes yes alice. But for discussion purposes it doesn't really have much reason. There is usually something diffetent you can find based on what by our we looking for

Redacted
03/16/15 12:03 pm

I've seen this first hand. If the interviewer can't pronounce your name, he won't call you for an interview.

Ru12bseen Ignoring the Ignorant
03/16/15 11:56 am

The stats on this one are already really interesting.