leilu March 16th, 2015 3:30pm

Congrats, you're buying a new house! Do you buy the biggest house in development 1 or the smallest house in development 2? Both houses are essentially the same in size and ammenities.

catpillow Florida West Coast
03/18/15 1:27 am

Compare (1) the property tax and (2) school districts. Hope you find a great home that you'll be happy with.

leilu SoCal
03/18/15 10:02 pm

Same schools, different tax rates. Great points. After mulling things over we are looking at the smaller house in the bigger neighborhood. Thanks for your insight!

DuckAndCower
03/16/15 11:45 pm

Harder to sell the biggest house in the development. I have to go with the little fish in the big pond.

knetzere Illinois
03/16/15 9:42 pm

For me it would depend on the layout of the house and the neighborhood. That along with the locations would be the deciding factors all else being equal

knetzere Illinois
03/16/15 9:44 pm

We just started a hunt for our first house. We're going Thursday to look at a few

leilu SoCal
03/16/15 11:11 pm

That's exciting, congrats! I hope the search goes well and is fun for you.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
03/16/15 9:53 am

I think it be pretentious to have the biggest house I go for the smallest house if the houses were equally sized.

WildRice With a side of sass
03/16/15 9:20 am

My parents told me to never have the highest house in the development.... I would go for number 2 especially if they're the same

leilu SoCal
03/16/15 10:01 am

I think that's the way I'm leaning. I think they'll appreciate equally but the lower one woukd probably sell quicker and easier down the road.

ronderman North Carolina
03/16/15 12:44 pm

Agreed. The biggest house will stay on the market longer when it's time to sell and the neighborhood will drag it's value down. The opposite should be true with the smallest house.

imanag My heaven on Earth
03/16/15 8:42 am

We built a house years ago in a nice development. We bought a mid size house in the smaller of the 2 options. We still have all the same amenities as the larger area. I'm glad we went "smaller". At 2,000 sq. feet, it was all the house that we needed.

leilu SoCal
03/16/15 8:53 am

That's helpful, thanks! We could totally do 2000 sq ft but we've gotten used to 2700! We also fell in love with a huge 3600 sq ft house but that eats up all our money, but it is awesome! Too many decisions.

imanag My heaven on Earth
03/16/15 9:40 am

Anytime! Our guiding factors were that we didn't want more house than we could keep up ourselves or end up house poor from the expenses. Going smaller saved our bacon when the housing bubble burst. It allowed us to keep our home. Good luck!

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
03/16/15 9:55 am

Are you going to have more children? Do you want to have a guestroom? If you pass up the larger house will you regret it? Do they both houses have playrooms? Do they have yards for the children to play in? And perhaps a home garden?

leilu SoCal
03/16/15 9:59 am

Tops, if we go for the big big house then we have to sell our current one. We'd like to keep this one and rent it out. Again, so many options!! If we have more kids, they will double up in a room.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
03/16/15 10:12 am

I will join you in prayer on it. Another thing you can do which one feels like home? If you rent your house would it help with the house payments? What kind of schools are in both neighborhoods?

leilu SoCal
03/16/15 10:29 am

Both houses are pretty sterile, brand new. Same schools, and they're excelent. It might come down to the cost of upgrades. The rent from our current house woukd just be extra income, we might actually break even. It's a good investment.

leilu SoCal
03/16/15 8:36 am

Both houses are 2700 square feet, brand new communities, same price, etc. Help me and my family decide where to move!!