Arananthi March 16th, 2015 5:17am

The generic Bible-based thought vs. homosex is "love the sinner, hate the sin - homos bad, will go to Hell." The argument also applies to greed and rich people getting into heaven. Why don't we hear about anti-rich Xtians, but anti-gay are all over?

susanr Colorado
03/16/15 12:05 pm

Because sex. Because unfamiliarity often = dislike &/or disgust. Even something as idiotic as left handedness has been seen as evil.

Redacted
03/16/15 6:55 am

Because churches benefit from wealth of its members?

NotHomeYet formerly fgw0369
03/16/15 6:25 am

The Bible also has stories of God blessing Solomon and David (and more) with wealth. I think it is the greed and 'it didn't come from God' which makes it easier for a camel to pass though the eye of a needle. But I'm no Bible scholar.

golfer golfing
03/16/15 5:52 am

It's never been about loving the sinner and hating the sin because that's impossible (people are inseparable from their actions). It's about loving what's good for you personally and hating what/whoever makes you uncomfortable.

kscott516 Masks fail
03/16/15 5:19 am

Being rich isn't a sin.

getupbaby South City
03/16/15 9:45 am

Not technically, but the book does say you have almost no chance of getting into heaven if your wealthy.

kscott516 Masks fail
03/16/15 9:52 am

Not true at all. It means you can't earn your way into Heaven. If you put God first then your wealth will be of no consequence.

Ru12bseen Ignoring the Ignorant
03/16/15 4:28 am

James asked the same question. He comes down on those who give a blind eye to the greedy. Xians, in America, are driven often by the "Protestant work ethic" to get more. Have more. More equals status. That's mostly only in the US though, I think.

spicysteve M14D SBS
03/16/15 4:15 am

There are plenty out there, believe me

getupbaby South City
03/16/15 3:12 am

"If God made me and I'm bi-curious, well then I think that makes God a little bi-curious too!" Butters, Southpark

Mattwall1
03/15/15 10:35 pm

Social acceptability?

Praetorianus Fair enough.
03/15/15 10:39 pm

Plus deeply ingrained male homophobia.

Arananthi Literal Ninja
03/15/15 10:19 pm

It's way more of a choice to be rich than it is to be gay. So why aren't concerned Christians out there in droves spreading the Gospel of Humility among the super-wealthy the same way they're spreading the Gospel of Purity among the super-homosexual?

kermie gaytopia
03/15/15 10:27 pm

Because, and I'm uncustomarily trying to be as nice as I can, religion for many people is not a guide to structure their lives, but an attempt to add meaning to the lives they already want to live. The Bible didn't make most people anti-gay, it just

kermie gaytopia
03/15/15 10:28 pm

became a convenient support. But almost nobody starts out wanting to be anti-wealth, so those passages are much easier to overlook or explain away.

Maj Worth Economist
03/15/15 10:43 pm

Prosperity gospel. You're rich because god found you worthy. 😶

Wino I need a drink
03/16/15 7:19 am

Kermie, I absolutely agree. People always "cherry pick" the parts that fit their lives.