think4yourself March 15th, 2015 7:29pm

63% of youth suicides, 90% of all homeless and runaway children, 85% of all children who show behavior disorders, and 80% of rapists with anger problems all come from fatherless homes. Is the importance of fathers underrated in society?

LucyLu
03/15/15 6:43 pm

I think the feminist view years ago that said that you do not need a man to have a child, devalued men. While some men ( and women too) are dead beats, this did not help.

masterluke1986 Ohio
03/15/15 8:51 pm

Liberals against the patriarchy castrated men thru media and such into dumb Homer Simpsons. Now women can rule the world unchallenged, have babies without a father if they're rich enough, and not care they have destroyed God's design for family.

Maj Worth Economist
03/15/15 6:37 pm

I highly recommend the book "Throwaway Dads," by Ross Parke and Armin Brott.

TheGreatC Wisconsin
03/15/15 6:28 pm

Your father is one of the most important people in your life. And people are still using the "endfathersday" hashtag.

chinito Florida
03/15/15 8:38 pm

When you are a child your father is tied with your mother as the most important person in your life.

TheGreatC Wisconsin
03/16/15 5:23 am

That's why I said 'one' of the most important people.

MorKurt Oregon
03/15/15 6:22 pm

The acual father is not important, having a father figure is important.
People can't choose their parents but they can choose their parental figures.

Challenger TX
03/15/15 6:00 pm

East Asians and Whites—in every country—have fewer children & invest more time, energy & resources into them. Blacks—in every country—have more children & invest less into them individually. This is due to the evolutionary strategies that developed

CzarCastic
03/15/15 5:59 pm

Well when u word it like that...

Challenger TX
03/15/15 5:55 pm

Not one person has mentioned the correlation between these things and race. Although having a nuclear family is important to these things it has more to do with the evolutionary strategies of different groups.

Challenger TX
03/15/15 5:49 pm

Yes BUT, I the link & stats provided in link are misleading BC there are other things that CAUSE fatherless homes in the first place. I recommend The Bell Curve. A 50-page summary of the studies & finds in a very readable format was released for free

Challenger TX
03/15/15 5:49 pm

Forgive my grammar, I was trying to stay within the character count

Arkansas123 Neoconservative
03/15/15 5:23 pm

The paternal and maternal influences are equally important for the child's proper development.

Christian1459 Cookin Trouble
03/15/15 5:05 pm

Some type of father figure, yes I believe so. Though just because a child does not have a father, doesn't Guarentee they'll be rapists and have behavioral problems.

RJ1969 SoCal
03/15/15 3:38 pm

Yes, and great poll!

elbrutus23 Chicago, IL
03/15/15 3:33 pm

Yes, but it is a symptom of an economic and political system that has disenfranchised working class people— especially men.

Think Lovin Life
03/15/15 4:27 pm

No! There is no excuse for a man cowardly running from his responsibility.

Think Lovin Life
03/15/15 4:27 pm

No! There is no excuse for a man cowardly running from his responsibility.

Christian1459 Cookin Trouble
03/15/15 5:06 pm

Agree. No excuse.

YellowBelly3
03/15/15 3:26 pm

The numbers definitely convey a trend about absent father's and although father are important, in my own personal belief and experience, children need two parents. Family structure is evolving and kids need two parents, heck if not more.

think4yourself Not a safe space
03/15/15 4:07 pm

If by "evolving" you mean degrading. These results are the result of the family structure changing for the worse.

skinner Jersey City
03/15/15 3:09 pm

Yes, most certainly. Having a loving nuclear family is irreplaceable and imperative towards child development.

gonzoboy Arizona
03/15/15 3:06 pm

I wouldn't be so quick to say society AS A WHOLE declares the importance of a father as devalued. I think most folks KNOW the significance the role a father plays in life. I think there're pockets of just plain apathy. I think there are those who

gonzoboy Arizona
03/15/15 3:06 pm

...claim victim, eschewing personal responsibility, claiming that unless society improves FIRST, the family dynamic will be a resulting casualty.
But all's not lost! As long as we breathe, there is hope! There jus' needs to be more of us having it!

climbingislife North Carolina
03/15/15 3:01 pm

Yes. Instead of the media and celebrities talking about #blacklivesmatter (when really all lives matter) and "I can't breath" they should really talk about the importance of (responsible) father's and/or father figures.

suppressedID IMEACH BIDEN
03/15/15 2:54 pm

You put the answers on the wrong sides.

jvc1133 61535
03/15/15 2:01 pm

Modern man is the accepted bad guy.

deist
03/15/15 1:49 pm

It should be cool to be a dad. Instead of the idea for guys to grow up thinking that its cool to sleep with and or try to impregnate as many women as possible and "not care".

Idahologger up north
03/15/15 1:40 pm

Yes and no, I came from a long line of non-existent or loser fathers. I've done everything possible to end it in our family, and not to toot my own horn but I am frequently complimented on the kind of father I am. You cant use your childhood as an

Idahologger up north
03/15/15 1:40 pm

Excuse to be a bad person, unfortunately I've seen it happen all too often

chinito Florida
03/15/15 1:35 pm

People keep complaining that the rich, the white, the men, the christians... sre born with an unfair advantage. If you really want to give your child an advantage bring him to a loving 2 parent home.

Think Lovin Life
03/15/15 5:12 pm

Chinito ... you're taking away the excuses that liberals have honed for decades. Thanks a lot!

It's all about personal responsibility!

smarttexan More Moderate Than U
03/15/15 1:35 pm

I wonder if those numbers correlate to poverty as well.

susanr Colorado
03/15/15 2:52 pm

A possibility that some don't quite understand and even more dismiss, perhaps because it gets in the way of what they already believe.

smarttexan More Moderate Than U
03/15/15 3:58 pm

I see some of that in comments...

susanr Colorado
03/15/15 4:03 pm

That, and more.

AbandonedAccnt Not here.
03/16/15 10:06 am

There can be no doubt that having a second income earner in the family (the father) goes a long way towards keeping the family out of poverty. I doubt anybody can miss the obvious correlation. Dad's are indispensable.

AbandonedAccnt Not here.
03/16/15 10:09 am

The article did say that income was controlled for on the stats pertaining to incarceration and even then the children of fatherless homes have a significantly higher chance of being incarcerated.

NDAmerican Florida
03/15/15 1:30 pm

YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!! Society's constant attack on the nuclear family and downgrading of fathers have consequences.

smarttexan More Moderate Than U
03/15/15 1:35 pm

That's nutty... Is this correlation of causation? What other factors do you find this correlates too?

NDAmerican Florida
03/15/15 8:14 pm

I can say from personal experience that growing up without a father in the house was really hard. My mom was awesome but it was a struggle. There are things a son especially (and a daughter for that matter) need a dad for. Whether it's the

NDAmerican Florida
03/15/15 8:15 pm

Biological, stepfather, or adopted a father figure is important. It's not just me, I know many people in southern impoverished wv and in wealthy northwestern florida where my fatherless friends struggled more than my nuclear friends. Even though

NDAmerican Florida
03/15/15 8:16 pm

More opportunity was provided to many of those who were fatherless. There have been countless studies on this. We shouldn't demonize the fatherly role in growing up (my personal opinion).

smarttexan More Moderate Than U
03/16/15 4:00 am

Who demonizes the role of the father? I've never seen that. It sucks your father wasn't present, but the imaginary war on two parent families is a silly notion.

AbandonedAccnt Not here.
03/15/15 1:30 pm

Popular culture is sick.

saliemster California
03/15/15 1:29 pm

It's the feminists, they are ruining America

simplyjoyful Texas
03/15/15 2:24 pm

Even though I am a feminist, you will be surprised to know that I understand and partly agree. I believe in gender equality and respect for all regardless of their gender. This doesn't include the degradation of men that has been popular and

simplyjoyful Texas
03/15/15 2:26 pm

Socially acceptable. I was very careful to pick an amazing father for my children and he is absolutely integral in our family. He couldn't be replaced and I have a deep respect for him and everything he brings to our family. Furthermore, I dont

simplyjoyful Texas
03/15/15 2:26 pm

Believe that he has to be weak for me to be strong. Our family is better for our mutual strength and respect for one another.

saliemster California
03/15/15 2:45 pm

Ya feminists aren't for equality anymore, they have no purpose in the 21st century, similar to unions.

saliemster California
03/15/15 2:47 pm

They are radicals these days

simplyjoyful Texas
03/15/15 2:48 pm

That is a sweeping generalizations, especially after reading what I just posted.

saliemster California
03/15/15 2:52 pm

America is the best place on the planet for a woman to live, why do feminists rally for equality, everything is already equal that can be, even things that shouldn't be. Like the military, why on earth would you want a woman on the front line. Unless

saliemster California
03/15/15 2:54 pm

She can pull, 200-300 pounds I don't think that's smart, but the point is that there is no reason for feminists to go and protest anymore.

evoecon nearest binary system
03/15/15 1:09 pm

Society has a distorted view of what the fathering of a child means.

Diogenes FreeMeBe
03/15/15 1:02 pm

Absolutely. Just go ask Dolce and Gabbana.

SugarShaq
03/15/15 12:44 pm

Amazing and shocking statistics.

think4yourself Not a safe space
03/15/15 12:37 pm

Society's fad of downgrading men, traditional families, and fathers is having tremendous negative effects on our children and our society as a whole. Society needs to recognize that fathers are just as important as mothers for the sake of society.

imanag My heaven on Earth
03/15/15 12:50 pm

Agreed, but to be fair, not all women choose to go it alone. My mom didn't, but her dad really stepped up when my father left us.