Ru12bseen March 14th, 2015 11:00pm

A friend has a daughter who has played soccer goalie since 6th grade. This year (11th), the coach told her if she wished to start as goalie, she'd need to drop 10lbs. The parent was appalled as the girl is not overweight. Who do you side with?

cdawg Colorado
03/15/15 11:54 pm

The kid isn't overweight. Read.

pd15
03/15/15 3:47 pm

Once you're in high school, you have to make sacrifices to compete. Wrestlers, runners, football players, rowers, and I'm sure many others have to adjust their weight (up or down) in order to make teams. It's just the price to pay for improvement

ajtndfan
03/15/15 1:40 pm

With the given information I support the coach.

Tesla Florida
03/15/15 11:43 am

Coach, his team his rules. Also to be a goalie you need to be in the best shape so I mean if 10lbs is all you have to drop then just do it, it's not hard.

TheIndian Virgo Supercluster
03/15/15 10:48 am

She is a soccer goalie and more weight (to an extent) contributes to that position because it can get physical, especially if it is a competitive team (which u am assuming). If she is not overweight what is the point of dropping 10 pounds.

mac Oregon
03/15/15 8:44 am

Uh? An 11 year old need not think about her weight. If this is a problem the coach feels strongly about, then a conversation between adults is best to find solution.Coaches can do a great deal of good, and damage- coached HS football 20 years-go easy

mac Oregon
03/15/15 8:48 am

11th grade- I read years old- I still believe adults should talk this over and find a solution, as image is too important to any kid.

Helm california
03/15/15 8:32 am

if he can justify it I would side with him

slayrplays
03/15/15 8:26 am

It's the coach's team. He can do whatever

EarlyBird Portland
03/15/15 5:54 am

Weight is subjective. The coach wants a winning team and feels the goalie needs to lose weight. I side with the coach.

CountryBoyGA Forsyth
03/15/15 5:12 am

It's the child's responsibility not the parents, if that's a coaches requirements then that's it.

typetype level 2 pretty
03/15/15 12:36 am

The coach. Parents &the girl got all booty hurt cuz body conditioning is part of being an athlete. If she wants soccer 2not have been a hobby, she shld prolly lose the wt. Situation is understandably awkward 4ur friend but he/she were doing their job

Torfin Never Behind
03/14/15 10:46 pm

The coach and I would have a serious conference that he might not survive

Jeninerd Hoth, AK
03/14/15 8:22 pm

Weight shouldn't be a factor. Skill and performance should determine it.

MachoMatt84 Privileged to serve.
03/14/15 8:13 pm

So, what's the problem?

orgblu10 Shamerica
03/14/15 8:05 pm

The coach might be noticing some deficiencies in her play that he thinks may be a result of her weight. Instead of just saying, "lose 10 pounds," I'd try to deal with the specific technique problems through targeted drills, rather than her weight.

NOTColonelWest
03/14/15 7:33 pm

The coach, almost every time. She may by be overweight, but the healthy weight for any given height spans close to forty pounds. Someone on the low end couldn't stop the ball, but someone on the high end cant get to the ball, but neither is unhealthy

Zimmeress Make Me Laugh
03/14/15 6:51 pm

I'd ask my daughter what she wanted to do. It's her responsibility, so why not her choice?

Injectable Trump Killed Babbitt
03/14/15 6:40 pm

It's not wrestling. This seems like a performance based decision. The coach should be encouraging a specific form of training if he sees an issue. "Go arbitrarily lose weight" is just doing a bad job.

MrsCzarCastic
03/14/15 6:36 pm

The parent, 100%. Shame on the coach.

Happy239 Florida
03/14/15 6:17 pm

Been playing sports a long time I say the same thing about myself when it comes to running. She is obviously in high school and has been there for two years so this coach isn't new to her talents. Probably varsity now and wt is slowing her down.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
03/14/15 5:26 pm

If she's been plumping up and it's slowing her down, maybe the coach. If she is still as good as ever and the best we have available, what difference do a few pounds make? Especially since she is probably getting taller too. Sounds like BS.

jvberg Winter has Come
03/14/15 5:19 pm

I can see the benefit, losing weight might make her more agile being able to dive quicker and further for a save, or he's being a dick. I would need to hear the tone for a full judgement

zMrManz
03/14/15 4:52 pm

I could see a few reason this might be happening. 1) The coach doesn't want the girl on the team anymore for some reason. And he's trying to find a small reason to remove her. Even if it doesn't really seem like a lot of sense. 2) The league might

zMrManz
03/14/15 4:53 pm

be under new regulations now. Ones that enforce weight requirements. 3) There has always been regulations like this in place. But, now she has moved into the next "tier". And it has different regulations.

zMrManz
03/14/15 4:53 pm

Regardless on which reason, it doesn't seem right to remove her from the team. Especially if she's been the goalie since 6th grade.

swjboucher Just Run
03/14/15 4:45 pm

Coach is responsible for the overall success of the team.

WildRice With a side of sass
03/14/15 4:43 pm

Weight is hard bc if she's really in shape and is all muscle she's gonna weigh more than if she was fluffy.

If I was the parent I would tell ask her what she wanted to do.

Christian1459 Cookin Trouble
03/14/15 6:00 pm

Well said. Asking her what she wants to do. If she picks to lose the weight and shows the determination, let her do it.

Whichendisup uniquely unoriginal
03/14/15 4:36 pm

Less Weight =/= more saves

This is a BS requirement. He should just be honest with the girl and/or her parents. This will only cause problems.

Christian1459 Cookin Trouble
03/14/15 4:34 pm

This is a tough one. I side with parent though. Yes you need to continue to train and work out to perform adequately.The weight really shouldn't be that big of a factor especially if experience is involved.It's not Wrestling where you bulk up or lose

Cole12 ...
03/14/15 4:23 pm

The coach is just being honest...

RoDe Latinus wordsus
03/14/15 7:10 pm

Without knowing the weight of the girl, that's pretty hard to say.

lulu39
03/14/15 8:04 pm

You can't really say that with out knowing the individual.

MachoMatt84 Privileged to serve.
03/14/15 8:15 pm

I agree Cole. I don't see any issue here based on the wording of the question.

RoDe Latinus wordsus
03/14/15 8:50 pm

The information supplied is that the girl is not overweight. That means her weight is healthy for her height. I can not imagine why an arbitrary "10lb loss", rather than say a 20-second decrease in the time it takes to run a mile makes any sense.

MachoMatt84 Privileged to serve.
03/14/15 9:07 pm

For me, weight is a big factor. I'm a super lightweight hiker. I know what difference 5-10 lbs makes, whether in my bag or on my body. It may seem arbitrary and she may be a "healthy" weight for her height, but that extra 10 lbs can translate into...

MachoMatt84 Privileged to serve.
03/14/15 9:08 pm

...significant difference. The coach has set a standard and didn't make it personal. There's no issue here IMO.

RoDe Latinus wordsus
03/14/15 9:16 pm

I'm not saying I can definitively say it's not, but I do feel comfortable saying with the information provided that there is no definitive way to side with the coach. All we know is she is not overweight. Unless we hold that anyone who becomes a

RoDe Latinus wordsus
03/14/15 9:19 pm

Coach is infallible, I don't see how we can't acknowledge the possibility the coach is just a jerk. Let's say that .02% of coaches are "just jerks", we know shes not overweight, don't have much else information, humans are fallible. Can't be certain.

TheMadScientist the mad laboratory
03/14/15 4:10 pm

Maybe it has to do with a problem he is uncomfortable talking about, but he sees this as a fix.

leilu SoCal
03/14/15 4:05 pm

Time to find a new league!

Maj Worth Economist
03/14/15 4:00 pm

Since when is there a weight standard on soccer goalies? WTF?

Axl752 NY
03/14/15 4:06 pm

Maybe she's not quite agile enough, dropping 10 lbs could help a lot

Maj Worth Economist
03/14/15 4:12 pm

You can improve agility without losing weight. It sounds to me like the coach just doesn't want to start her.

TerryQuinn Stardust
03/14/15 4:25 pm

Sounds like the coach is looking for an excuse but that doesn't make much sense. Wouldn't you have tryouts or something to see how many shots she can block? Weird.