MachoMatt84 March 14th, 2015 2:20pm

Better way to stop school yard bullying: tell teachers over and over again or teach kids to stand up for themselves or others against the bully?

kjs Minnesota
03/16/15 7:36 am

Telling teachers is a waste of my breath. Our son had had enough & the lunch ladies mentioned I needed to come up for lunch. I watched as my son was being shoved & before I could do anything, my son poured his milk over his head. Am proud of you Etik

FacePalm That Trick Never Works
03/16/15 7:02 am

Depends on the age of the kids and what you mean by "dealing with it themselves".

mds12384
03/16/15 5:53 am

Telling makes it worse. If some one Is bullying you you got to hit him immediately the first time it happens. Make sure they know it's not gonna go over easy with you. They'll stop

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
03/16/15 2:56 am

I was victim of serious bullying. Once.
Mom always said, "if they are bigger than you, pick up whatever it takes to be as big.' I let her punch me in the face until I snapped, then wailed on her until she thought better of the idea.

TheIndian Virgo Supercluster
03/15/15 9:57 pm

Honestly, most teachers don't give a crap.

drewseph17 San Francisco
03/15/15 9:18 pm

every time someone had ever said anything to me or tried to hit me, I've always stood up for myself. I'm not going to let someone walk all over me, no matter what the school policy is.

MnWildFan34
03/15/15 9:12 pm

Stand up for themselves. Teachers and principals don't do jack shit about bullying these days and if they do its just a slap on the wrist.

kimberlyhope Florida
03/15/15 2:54 am

I think it's pretty clear nowadays that teachers and administration don't take these things seriously.

fifteenletters ima troll
03/14/15 11:52 pm

Teaching them to stand up for themselves, is different than fighting back. Teachers don't listen; go to the principle.

aclincoln memphis
03/14/15 11:15 pm

kids absolutely need to be taught confidence - I wish I had been

Captainbstring Biden is a Clown
03/14/15 8:27 pm

Kids should be taught that if someone is trying to hurt you, the rules do not apply.

professorwho Madness and Genius
03/14/15 8:08 pm

Honestly, I think more kids would fight back if they Were not afraid of getting in trouble.

ThePollTaker Straight up cold.
03/14/15 2:47 pm

Punch that sucker! Telling is for the week.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
03/14/15 10:57 am

Teaching them to stand up for themselves is fine, as long as that mostly means ignoring the bully or just walking away. Fighting with them is almost never a useful solution. I had good success with making fun of bullies. They mostly left me alone.

TierasPet
03/14/15 10:21 am

I taught my son to never throw the first punch but to not be afraid to throw the last one. I also told him to make sure there were witnesses, and to stop as soon as the other person was subdued. He never had a problem and wasn't in many fights.

Captainbstring Biden is a Clown
03/14/15 8:26 pm

That is how it should be done.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
03/14/15 9:52 am

In third grade (1959ish), the first time I tried standing up to a bully, I was sent to the Principal and got in trouble for it.

Captainbstring Biden is a Clown
03/14/15 8:26 pm

I'll bet the bully left you alone after that. I used to get suspended for defending myself. As long as I didn't start the fight or try to abuse someone my parents accepted the suspension but did not punish me.

rons WOKE is sick
03/14/15 9:27 am

They are bullies for a reason. They can kick your ass.

Captainbstring Biden is a Clown
03/14/15 8:18 pm

That's what they thought until they got hurt trying to bully me.Bullys are cowards.If they wanted to prove how tough they were they would pick on people bigger than them, but they don't.If they know that they will get hurt they will leave you alone.

Captainbstring Biden is a Clown
03/14/15 8:22 pm

Bullys usually don't know how to fight either. My kids were taught marshal arts by me and taught to end it by taking them out by hitting the most vulnerable and painful places. My kids have put bullys in their place when necessary on a few occasions.

Krystina Let Freedom Reign
03/14/15 8:53 am

Kids can tell teachers all day long, but a teacher can't lay a hand on a bully & most of them realize that. So yeah, tell the kid to tell the teacher initially, but also to be very prepared to stand up for himself/herself too.

kermie gaytopia
03/14/15 8:00 am

Well neither. They're both poor solutions. But it depends what you mean by "stand up" for oneself.

kermie gaytopia
03/14/15 1:27 pm

Reparative justice programs in the school. Individual or group therapy for the perpetrator. In-home support for the whole family actually.

MrsCzarCastic
03/14/15 7:30 am

I agree that the teachers should first be made aware of the situation. If the bullying doesn't stop, then the bullied kid should have every right to clock the kid who is picking on him right in the face.

kermie gaytopia
03/14/15 8:00 am

Maybe they have the right but that doesn't make it a good solution.

MrsCzarCastic
03/14/15 8:58 am

Maybe not the best solution, but it's better than the teacher turning a blind eye and continuing to allow your child to get pushed around. I would also try to talk to the parents of the other kid.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
03/14/15 7:23 am

As a teacher I wish some kids would put the bullies and annoying kids in their place.

MachoMatt84 Privileged to serve.
03/14/15 7:26 am

That's what I did with great success when I was in elementary school. Unfortunately, while I never punched or deliberately hurt anyone, because I would always be the one in control of the fight, I was the one that would be punished. I have no regrets

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
03/14/15 7:34 am

I have told a few kids before that if they did something to a certain person I would just be looking the other way.

MachoMatt84 Privileged to serve.
03/14/15 7:21 am

Let me preface by saying that the ideal and proper course of action should be to tell teachers or school staff about the bully problem and give that route a chance to work. However, since, in my own personal experience that rarely works, empowering..

MachoMatt84 Privileged to serve.
03/14/15 7:23 am

... kids to defend themselves and to defend others, particularly the disabled or smaller stature ones, is really the only option that truly works, imo. Again, that is based on personal experience growing up of which I've got more experience in...