Squidboy March 13th, 2015 2:27pm

OR Senate Bill 533 would allow a motorcyclist or bicyclist to go through a red stoplight if the light will not change for them. Approve or disapprove of this bill?

Zod Above Pugetropolis
03/14/15 11:03 pm

I'm going to anyway, after a full light cycle with no one in sight. May as well make it legal, since it already is safe. It never comes up when the sensors are properly adjusted, I'd rather see a bill that requires that, but you know, competence.

jmw7477 Indiana
03/14/15 4:41 pm

I ride on the back of my husband's motorcycle. We've gone through red lights because the bike didn't trigger it. Most times, we were the only ones at the light, though.

rons on top of the world MA
03/14/15 10:16 am

Only if they smoking a joint.

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
03/14/15 5:27 am

Until I saw the report it sounded like a really stupid idea. But they have to wait for one full cycle, if light doesn't change for them next time, they can proceed @ own risk, fully responsible if there is an accident. Made perfect sense.

FATSHADOW Cyborg Gorilla
03/13/15 11:54 pm

Im gonna do it anyway...might as well make it legal.

NOTColonelWest
03/13/15 11:40 pm

"I've been waiting for five whole seconds. This thing must not be sending me." -famous last words

krayzewolf New Hampshire
03/13/15 3:29 pm

Approve. If you've ever risen a motorcycle you'd understand the frustration of sitting at a light that will not change due to the lack of weight or metal to trigger the sensor. I'll use common sense and wait until its clear to safely go.

3mily nihilist
03/13/15 10:05 am

Approve. As a cyclist I always look before I cross any intersection, even if I have the right of way. Waiting for lights to change is a real drag though because it's not like I'm going to injure anybody if I hit them, it's only for "my protection."

Nemacyst No Lives Matter
03/13/15 8:54 am

It's not like the motorcycle doesn't have to yield right of way. I already do this on motorcycles, because they're not heavy enough to trip the sensor, so I wait for traffic to clear, and go.

Ru12bseen Ignoring the Ignorant
03/13/15 8:43 am

Ah... A population control bill.

Ebola1 Florida
03/13/15 8:40 am

Great idea if you don't mind getting killed by those proceeding on the green light. My vote would be no.

Redacted
03/13/15 8:11 am

Approve, as long as it includes coming to a full stop, treating it like a stop sign.

knetzere Illinois
03/13/15 7:42 am

It annoying when you are sitting at a light for 3 cycles waiting for a turn signal and not getting one since there isn't enough metal to trip the sensor. Or on an empty end of town where nobody else shows up to trigger the light for you

zMrManz
03/13/15 7:30 am

Kind of approve. Assuming they've been sitting there for a while and it won't change, it's good. Whatever the light uses to determine if a vehicle is there probably doesn't work for a motorcycle. But, idk what they would do if there was an accident.

zMrManz
03/13/15 7:31 am

There would be no way to prove the time he waited. So, I would probably lean towards no in the end.

zMrManz
03/13/15 7:34 am

I think a better option would be this:

You can go through the red light if it's after 9 PM and the light won't change for you. Then you could apply it to all vehicles. Sometimes lights don't have sensors. Less busy roads seem to never change...

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
03/14/15 5:32 am

Must wait through 1 full cycle. If light doesn't change for them next time, can proceed @ own risk w/full liability in event of an accident. This would mean there were no cars to trigger the signal so traffic probably pretty slow/nonexistent.

Laserbeam Crazy bird lady
03/13/15 7:29 am

That clearly will just end up with everyone waiting all of 5sec and then running the light. Bad idea.

knetzere Illinois
03/13/15 7:42 am

There are a couple lights I regularly run because I know that it won't change for me and another car showing up in that area is rare