Rotavele March 13th, 2015 7:35am

The U.S. Charges 10x the interest it charges banks on student loans, charges for textbooks, and charges high tuition for universities. If you were young, would you instead study in Germany, Finland, or Denmark where Americans go for free in English?

Zod Above Pugetropolis
03/13/15 12:02 pm

I'd look into it, but chances are if I can even get in there, I could get a scholarship here. The admissions standards for some of the better foreign schools seem out of reach for this state school (maybe) kind of "achiever".

million Along the Puget Sound
03/13/15 10:46 am

Free university sounds like heaven.

kermie gaytopia
03/13/15 7:30 am

Yeah, I wish I could do my whole college experience over. I would love to do this.

GubraLagima Tramp 2016
03/13/15 7:29 am

I'm already committed to an American uni, but I'd love to transfer to one of those places for my last two years

03/13/15 4:56 pm

Sweden is cheap, and you learn about 4x as much than an American degree from what I hear.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
03/13/15 5:19 am

I'm not sure if it goes for foreigners, but there is no tuition in Germany. You can even get an interest free loan for housing. From what I've seen though, don't expect campus dorms, get a private room.

rons on top of the world MA
03/13/15 4:47 am

They don't want you. The free ride is on their taxpayers dime. Don't buy an Ipad, buy a book.

golfer golfing
03/13/15 6:35 am

Some textbooks cost more than iPads lol

03/13/15 7:12 am

They give it for free for a reason, education doesn't cost money in non-republitarded countries.

They believe in advancing humanity, not advancing their wallets.

deist
03/13/15 9:46 am

Education shouldn't be a commodity ..

TheeCourt Realville
03/13/15 1:14 pm

You gotta' be one of the dumbest and most deluded Liberals to think your Government, Progressively bent, cares about real education.

kscott516 Show Time
03/13/15 4:41 pm

"education doesn't cost money in non-republitarded countries"

Really? Someone donates all of the time and resources at no charge?

03/13/15 4:50 pm

By any chance are you new to the United States? (welcome!)

03/13/15 4:51 pm

"Liberals set up the retarded University structure, sans Capitalism, as it continues to be run and ruined by Liberals."

Conservatives 2014: DONT GIVE UM FREE KOWLLEGE, ITS ENTIYTULMUNT

2015: OBUMMER HATES EDUKATION! WE WANTED 2 GIVE U IT. NOT HIM!

kscott516 Show Time
03/13/15 4:52 pm

Taxpayers. In other words, not free.

03/13/15 4:56 pm

AKA the money I'll be paying in to keep the republican stares food stamp checks up after I graduate. Someone who doesn't know what college is or thinks it's "a liberal indoctrination camp!!!" Shouldn't be commenting.

Like I said: Investment.

kscott516 Show Time
03/13/15 4:58 pm

I'm still waiting to hear your answer as to how it's free...

Hint: it's not. You're welcome.

kscott516 Show Time
03/13/15 4:59 pm

"They don't donate they get paid the same way our non collegiate education system gets paid."

For someone claiming to be so educated, you haven't learned proper grammar.

TheeCourt Realville
03/14/15 12:03 am

Kscott: Rote here is like Russell Brand, without the flare of being British, with the slack-jawed brilliance of Liberalism; can't make sense, won't even try to use critical thought and refuses to understand Logic and Reason.
Epitome of useful idiocy.

03/14/15 12:06 am

"I'm still waiting to hear your answer as to how it's free..."

Everyone knows nothing's free, yet everyone gets my point. It doesn't help yours. Next!

Also Thee, I'm not British, wtf? Lol.

TheeCourt Realville
03/14/15 12:11 am

I know you're not British; it's obvious "you don't read no good neither."
You're the slack-jawed idiot, and proved it in your reply. I'd seriously hate myself, if I was as ignorant and mentally defunct as you.
"Free" education has suited you well.

BusinessJustin Tamriel
03/13/15 1:04 am

That's not how interest rates work, it's not a fair comparison. Student loans are much higher risk, for much longer time period, and have much higher administration costs. You can't just say "students are getting a raw deal while banks make out."

03/13/15 1:24 am

Yeah I know "that's not how interest rates are calculated" but the govt offering them could be more understanding of who they're giving them to is my point.

Yes it's higher risk, but it's a student.

RebelProud Bungholio
03/13/15 6:01 am

It's also an investment by the government seeing as on average college students are higher earners than those with no college degree. More income=more taxes paid over their life.

RoDe Latinus wordsus
03/13/15 6:51 am

Not just the individual taxes, but in fostering an educated workforce they're able to attract good employers. The biggest issue is the rising cost of college in itself, and the availability of loans isn't helping that. Big problems ahead.

BusinessJustin Tamriel
03/13/15 8:42 am

Then you realize it was an unwarranted comparison. Sure, it's a student, but there are costs involved. Student loans are still a really good deal; that much money with no collateral or credit at 6% interest? It's amazing.

03/13/15 9:16 am

It shouldn't nearly cost that much in the first place. They've went up 5x in price since the 80s. It's an investment in tax revenue.

BusinessJustin Tamriel
03/13/15 9:22 am

Do you think sending more people to college is going to solve that problem? Increasing demand will only further increase the costs. Not everybody needs to go to college, let people choose to make that investment on their own.

03/13/15 9:27 am

Then get the govt to stop encouraging college so heavily and then wanting to tie you down with $50,000 loans to do so. It's practically slavery.

BusinessJustin Tamriel
03/13/15 9:31 am

Haha, but no one is forcing you to, and there are mountains of literature on the costs and benefits of loans and schools. I have no sympathy for those with student loans. I'm paying back $60k total between my wife and I. It was worth every penny.

NDAmerican WV Escapee
03/13/15 11:52 am

Or you could move to WV where academic success provides you a free education. Something WV does right.

03/13/15 4:54 pm

Wvamerican is that also for foreigners? Georgia and lib states usually do that. My Uni is pretty hard and I pulled off A's from extra study time. I think I could easily pull off a scholarship.

NDAmerican WV Escapee
03/15/15 6:39 am

Well the one I'm talking about is for instate, however we do have a scholarship for foreigners to afford education here.

03/13/15 12:38 am

Im heavily considering applying for a study visa for Germany or Finland. The education at the universities I've been looking at are higher than many here. Plus I would get a lot of scholarships for living expenses. It's just a long ways though. :/

03/13/15 12:39 am

Both of their economies are swinging up and the free college system is improving their average academic level per capita tremendously. Needless to say the social life is also much more free.

ButchBrewBaker Pennsyltuckey
03/13/15 3:15 am

You should go Rotavele. It will be a neat adventure for you. If I were still a college student, I would consider it.

NDAmerican WV Escapee
03/13/15 11:53 am

I'd go to Finland, Germany is having major problems with Hooligans attacking Muslims, Jews, Gays, and Non Germans. It's insane. If you do go stay careful.

NDAmerican WV Escapee
03/13/15 11:54 am

Hooligans by the way are German Nationalist Gangs if you didn't know. I didn't want you to think I was talking about kids haha.

03/13/15 4:36 pm

Yeah I've read into those. The attacks are more media hype than anything. The Social-Dems are actively working to stop them.

NDAmerican WV Escapee
03/15/15 6:38 am

I understand, the rates of crime are increasing. It would be an amazing place to study just consider it.