MurrayHitchens March 13th, 2015 6:05am

Would you rather live in a world where you got to enjoy raunchy humor that once in awhile made light of your problems/flaws solely for sake comedy or where people avoided saying any jokes that could possibly be taken offensive to anyone.

MurrayHitchens The Truth Wins Out
03/13/15 11:51 am

I'd rather live in a world where we're all comfortable making light of our situations. I think it helps us see our problems are not really a big deal. If everyone was in on it, then it wouldn't be disrespectful.

MurrayHitchens The Truth Wins Out
03/13/15 11:53 am

But I understand that isn't reality and try to be more sensitive to the types that don't prefer it.

LadyBug237 Florida
03/13/15 10:17 am

Jokes are fine. But there are always going to be those people who don't give a hoot about respect. I try to stay away from them.

AbandonedAccnt Not here.
03/13/15 9:39 am

...and self-imposed civility and respect.

GrandmaALiCE
03/13/15 9:56 am

Okie, I agree. Nothing in the poll implied that it wouldn't be self-imposed. "... a world where people avoided saying anything ..."

AbandonedAccnt Not here.
03/13/15 9:58 am

I know. I was just making my own point clear.

chickencookie
03/13/15 12:03 pm

Okie keeps telling that Nantucket joke over and over again :-)

AbandonedAccnt Not here.
03/13/15 12:16 pm

I don't get it.

chickencookie
03/13/15 12:19 pm

Lol. There was a comedian who would make up a rhyme with Nantucket and the next sentence would use the f word. Surprised you don't know that.

AbandonedAccnt Not here.
03/13/15 12:37 pm

We all know that okie has never uttered an unkind word on SOH, or a curse word, and wouldn't know about such things. 😄

chickencookie
03/13/15 12:40 pm

Definitely not Okie 1967. This is one time boldface would come in handy. 😑

GrandmaALiCE
03/13/15 6:24 am

It's a fine line. I believe I have a good sense of humor. I can laugh at myself. But, I am sometimes offended by highly inappropriate (in my opinion) behavior. You present the extreme option of "avoiding any jokes that could possibly be offensive ...

GrandmaALiCE
03/13/15 6:27 am

... to anyone." That would be just about impossible.

The real goal is to know where the line is and try not to cross it, try not to hurt people. Sometimes, the line is obvious. Sometimes, it's subtle.

Faced with the two options, I voted raunchy.

shygal47 florida east coast
03/13/15 9:18 am

I voted for Respectful even tho I had the same thought-process. I guess what would bother me would be the degree of Raunchy since I dislike filthy humor and filthy language. I'm not a prude but some words I find offensive.

RoDe Latinus wordsus
03/13/15 9:26 am

I followed your line of thinking too Alice, but I went with respectful. So many times people are blatantly disrespectful and use humor as their means("it's a joke"). I'd rather live somewhere where fewer were offended, but some laughed less.

GrandmaALiCE
03/13/15 9:56 am

You both make good points. I'm changing my vote.

MurrayHitchens The Truth Wins Out
03/13/15 11:29 am

Good answers everyone. I myself enjoy morbid raunchy humor. There are certain canned jokes that would be difficult to offend someone with unless they really badly wanted to be offended. I find most of them cheesy tho.

MurrayHitchens The Truth Wins Out
03/13/15 11:34 am

I try make sure I know enough type of person or group I'm talking to before I may make unwelcome comments tho. Sometimes I slip up. I'm sorry if I do. But I really mean no offense. The point is to get a rise and not to offend anyone.