MJSeals March 13th, 2015 4:45am

In politics if you hear someone is a member of the Republican or Democratic Party do you automatically assume they are conservative/liberal (respectively) or assume them to be more moderate?

RINOTom Peoria, IL
03/14/15 9:56 am

Just depends. Saying you were a conservative/liberal has meant different things pretty much every two decades throughout the history of this country. I think the GOP is near unanimously conservative on fiscal issues, and CURRENT elected Dems...

RINOTom Peoria, IL
03/14/15 9:56 am

... seem almost completely united on social issues. The voters of each party are obviously very diverse.

skinner Wisconsin
03/14/15 5:17 am

It depends on the office. In Congress, I assume that most congressmen are liberal or conservative and not moderate. In the Massachusetts General Court, I assume that most Democrats are left to far left ideologically and most Republicans are moderate

ladyniner81 Embrace your inner dork
03/13/15 12:47 pm

I ask them certain questions first to find out if they're far left/right or moderate.

TierasPet
03/13/15 6:20 am

I don't really assume. I listen to what they say about certain things first.

genuflect University of Minnesota
03/13/15 12:00 am

But then again, I can count the number of GOPers I've talked with in the past month on a hand without fingers. City life.

RINOTom Peoria, IL
03/14/15 9:58 am

Minneapolis' suburbs are very loyally Republican while most of the rural northern part of the state favors Democrats. It's certainly not as simple as an urban/rural divide...

firefly5 the verse
03/12/15 11:05 pm

I assume moderate. I know there are people on the edges, but they usually don't refer to themselves/don't identify as republicans/democrats.

swervin Maryland
03/13/15 12:39 am

I agree with that. Some of the most liberal users I know will not admit to being democrats and the most conservative users say they are tea partiers.