golfer March 13th, 2015 2:11am

If we were to discover intelligent life on another planet, do you think it would be humanoid in appearance (head, two eyes, arms, legs, upright walking, etc.) or would it look completely different.

Maelthus
03/14/15 12:09 pm

We know it would be carbon based, Dawkins (one of the leading evolutionary biologist), believes they would be bipedal, symmetrical, eyes, respiratory system, circulatory system, and generally be similar to life on this planet.

Maelthus
03/14/15 12:09 pm

Probably different looking, but some basics would be there.

Maelthus
03/14/15 12:10 pm

But I can guarantee, if we found them, some people would consider them lower life forms than us.

Wert A picture of my package
03/12/15 7:14 pm

We would probably have difficulty identifying it as life, at all, initially. Knowing us, we'd try to farm it or cultivate it first, before we realized what it is. The fact that it's intelligent doesn't mean we'd identify it as such.

golfer golfing
03/12/15 7:24 pm

I was thinking of making that last point you made another question lol. If we came across intelligent life, would we know it? I think it comes down to how you define intelligent. For me, intelligent simply means able to establish communications.

golfer golfing
03/12/15 7:25 pm

Although even that definition has problems because it assumes different intelligences would communicate the same way.

Wert A picture of my package
03/12/15 7:33 pm

For me, it's the ability to modify its environment (used very loosely) to achieve a desired effect or result. This may or may not involve communication, but it wouldn't hurt.

golfer golfing
03/12/15 7:38 pm

So would you consider tool using animals on earth to be intelligent then, or is that too simple for what you're talking about?

Wert A picture of my package
03/12/15 7:42 pm

Yes. And, of course, intelligence comes in varying degrees. But I see tool making as being a product of intelligence.

Wert A picture of my package
03/12/15 7:44 pm

It's problem solving.

Have you ever seen the crows that drop nuts into car intersections, wait for the cars to run over the nuts to crack them, then they eat the meat of the nut?

golfer golfing
03/12/15 7:51 pm

No, but that's really cool! There is this one kind of bird at the golf course where I work. They fly really close to moving golf carts because the tires uproot bugs in the grass.

golfer golfing
03/12/15 7:59 pm

Birds and tires, that is 😂😂😂

Wert A picture of my package
03/12/15 8:05 pm

I worked with a woman who got two birdies on one hole. True story. Took the drive and zing it right into the side of a goose on the ground. Dead.

Wert A picture of my package
03/12/15 8:06 pm

After the grounds people came to collect it, she played it where it laid. Second drive, zing. Broke another one's neck. Dead. She felt horrible when she told me about it and I cracked the two birdies in one hole line.

golfer golfing
03/12/15 8:09 pm

Haha that's terrible. My friend once lightly hit a goose with his ball. The goose just turned around and looked at the ball like 'the fuck is this?' 😂😂😂