Show Of Hands December 17th, 2011 12:00am

Without looking it up, could you accurately describe the general meaning of Hanukkah?

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
12/31/11 6:30 am

@kjos that's how the votes turned out, that's why.

FIAT LUX!

kjos PNW
12/30/11 9:53 am

Does anyone know why the map the way it is? Besides the obvious fact more people celebrate the holiday on the east coast.

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
12/27/11 6:12 pm

@HPNerd please expound upon your statement of Jesus betraying the Jews as I would like to hear what you have to say about that.

FIAT LUX!

HPNerd Hogwarts
12/24/11 10:19 pm

Being as I'm Jewish, yes, I can. And I'm horrified by some of the comments. @HateMeNow did you know that in a way Jesus actually betrayed the Jews? He was born a Jew. Do your research. But I'm not here to start any fights. I just had to stand up for my people. Happy holidays!

12/22/11 8:16 pm

@hatemenow your stupid!!!!! I agree with dance:)

cowboy Dawns Highway
12/22/11 8:42 am

I could but our dear leader couldn't. That dummy Obama lit a Menorah two weeks early and lit all the candles! How any Jew will still vote for this anti-Semite, I'll never know.

12/20/11 9:27 pm

@hatemenow omg shut up and go learn some truth instead of all your lies

12/20/11 5:30 pm

They drill it in to yu in elementary school ... It's a good thing too

HolyBabble Mississippi
12/19/11 4:53 pm

The Jews killed Jesus and all that happened to them was they got sent to a summer camp were they sat around and created shows like Seinfeld.

dlyliny1 New York
12/19/11 12:54 pm

@FZappa, years ago, weren't some high-level Nazi leaders who had escaped to Argentina killed in some brutal ways? I seem to recall one was stabbed with an ice-pick when he answered his door (I think I remember that one bc it was such a cool and cold (pun intended) method; very "Mission Impossible!")

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
12/19/11 12:52 pm

Correction on my earlier statement. The OPPOSITE of eugenics is talked about in the Bible. Take care of the foreigner, the alien, the poor, the orphans, the needy, weak, sick, etc.

FIAT LUX!

FrankZappa New York
12/19/11 12:36 pm

@dlyliny1, it's awesome. I wish it was already online. Watching old guys talking about killing old nazis execution style is awkwardly enjoyable.

dlyliny1 New York
12/19/11 11:23 am

@frankzappa, sounds interesting. Glad ppl are still hunting those sociopaths down like the vermin they are. As for the troll, I agree with @Pete(?) that I should not let them rile me up as that only feeds their diseased need for attention. Thanks for talking me down (lol)!

FrankZappa New York
12/19/11 8:33 am

@FIAT, while eugenics isn't in the bible, the extremes of many religions unknowingly practice a watered down version. I know of many relationships that have broken down, prearranged marriage or families not allowing interfaith relations. Some choose family, some a spouse.

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
12/19/11 7:57 am

What was that law again about given enough time, Hitler will come into an online conversation no matter the subject? And btw, Hitler was an atheist, regardless of his own claims. An example is his extremist views of eugenics (eugenics is NOT in the Bible FYI).

FIAT LUX!

ssloanc
12/18/11 10:45 pm

@hatemenow. You really think that is why hitler hated the Jews? You are ignorant! And that is not what Hanukkah is about. Oh and you do know Jesus was Jewish right?

PetePuma Oregon
12/18/11 9:00 pm

Oh come on folks. Haven't you heard the term "troll"? That is what @HateMeNow is, a troll. Trolls post in order to get pseudo attention, not because they have anything relevant to say.

FrankZappa New York
12/18/11 8:14 pm

@dlyliny, watch Elusive Justice on PBS and be at ease.

dlyliny1 New York
12/18/11 7:58 pm

Ah, I see now from ur use of that German phrase that u r a pathetic, inbred, retarded, Neo-Nazi wannabe. Either that or u crave attention so r purposely trying to incite ppl. Whichever it is, u clearly have a serious personality disorder and should seek professional help w/ lots of meds immediately!

dlyliny1 New York
12/18/11 7:50 pm

@hatemenow, why ru flip-flopping on ur opinions. RU a politician? U say here that Hanukkah celebrates Jesus' death. Laughably wrong but likely a good gauge of ur intellectual horsepower. Then on another ?, u complain Christians try to put God in everything. Pls choose a position and commit to it.

IMO atoms, space, opinion
12/18/11 5:56 pm

I am not Jewish but I know this: Hanukkah is NOT the celebration of Jesus's death.
HMNow, why are you so full of hate? Your comments are childish, ignorant and senseless.

HolyBabble Mississippi
12/18/11 5:43 pm

The Jews killed Jesus.

Hanukkah is the celebration of Jesus's death.

This is why Hitler hated Jews.

FrankZappa New York
12/18/11 5:20 pm

@FIAT, it was in Ezekiel somewhere. I vividly remember something about pinching something and it turning or smoke or something, it was ages ago.

FrankZappa New York
12/18/11 5:17 pm

@dancestar, that would lead us to believe, the less dogmatic ones upbringing, the more reasonable the result.
Assuming I think I'm reasonable.

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
12/18/11 5:15 pm

@FrankZappa Chicken? Mind telling me the location of those scriptures? It sounds humorous.

FIAT LUX!

12/18/11 4:30 pm

No wonder ur an atheist reform Jews are mixed up... If I was raised reform I would also leave it all behind

FrankZappa New York
12/18/11 1:05 pm

@dancestar, I was raised (reform) Jewish but stopped practicing at about 11. Still got Bar Mitzvahed, just for the money. My haftorah was about sacrificing a chicken, I was and am a vegetarian.

12/18/11 11:55 am

@frankzappa u should try it sometime :p

FrankZappa New York
12/18/11 11:28 am

@dlyliny1, we are all born independent. Well, politically at least.

12/18/11 11:12 am

@frankzappa about the saturday thing that would b kind of sad glad to say I keep the sabbath and didn't answer till Sunday

12/18/11 11:10 am

Never mind I scrolled further and @fiat good job telling the story including the real holiday Chanukah which is what the observant Jews call it

dlyliny1 New York
12/18/11 11:09 am

@FrankZappa, word, friend! That's why I'm an Independent...I prefer to think "Independently" vs blindly following the preaching and proselytizing spewed by of a bunch of power-hungry, self-serving, greedy, corrupt and megalomaniacal career politicians (in both parties). (Yes I LOVE politicians :-( )

12/18/11 11:06 am

Hey @ u got the most accurate meaning... I'm Jewish and basically it's called the festival of lights bc the Jews in the times of the temple found a jug of oil that should've only lasted one day but lasted for 8... There are many more details...

FrankZappa New York
12/18/11 9:35 am

@GOMARINERS, in this country, with it's freedom to practice (almost) any religion, we have that Jesus crap shoved down our throat, especially by the nuttiest of politicians. The psychological side effects include the arrogance of exceptionalism in country, religion, and self.
Happy belated new year!

Marinersfan Texas
12/18/11 8:33 am

I'm Jewish so based of some of the logic people use on the page, I should not care or know about any Christian Holliday like Xmas or Easter

12/18/11 8:23 am

So many ignorant people. I made a point of reading religious texts not of my religion. A mind-opening experience.

Wes28 CBus
12/18/11 7:56 am

Typical, Repubs. Just blindly accepting your beliefs before doing any research on other religions to see if they could be more plausible.

JimmyRustles
12/17/11 11:15 pm

That the small Jewish resistance defeated the huge, more technologically advanced Greek army and the Jewish people survived. This miracle has been repeated in modern times in the Six-Day War.

JimmyRustles
12/17/11 11:12 pm

There was only one jug of oil fit to light the Menorah in the Temple, which had to be lit once a day. The jug of oil would last only one day, and it would take 8 days to get new oil. A miracle made the oil last 8 days. This is one of the many miracles that happened on Hanukah. The biggest miravle is

JimmyRustles
12/17/11 11:09 pm

The meaning most are taught is this:
The Greeks had control over Israel and they opressed the Jews and didn't let them observe the sabbath and do other very important jewish traditions like circumcision. The Jews formed a tiny resistance and rebelled. When the Jews got back the Holy Temple,

sam Maryland
12/17/11 10:08 pm

Im jewish and i kind of know. Something about candle lighting for 8 nights.

12/17/11 8:54 pm

oh yeah and she said Hanukah was the least important of the Jewish holidays

12/17/11 8:53 pm

I'm not Jewish but my best friend is and she told me the true meaning... Hundreds of years ago, the Jews in Israel were being hunted down for their belief, and they had to hide in secret places. The Jews bought a candle, thinking it would only last one night, and it ended up lasting 9

12/17/11 8:53 pm