caligrl21 Huntington Beach
01/23/13 12:14 pm

I'm studying to become a nurse

GabbyLaugh pixie hollow
01/20/13 11:31 am

Being arrested defeats the purpose of becoming a lawyer. I think getting paid to help is better than paying for help. Killing someone would put me in jail thus making me pay

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
01/20/13 10:29 am

Get a carry permit and a .45. It'll be more permanently effective.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
01/20/13 10:28 am

Lawyer. I'd work even more to repeal the infamous Hughes Amendment.

GabbyLaugh pixie hollow
01/20/13 9:31 am

That's why I'd become the district attorney. No way would I get scum free

GabbyLaugh pixie hollow
01/20/13 9:29 am

As a teenager, my goal is to become a district attorney and help rid the streets from dirt bags

butrfly9
01/19/13 11:42 pm

As a lawyer, 44%. Of you are wrong. It's an awful, dirty profession.

weezy
01/19/13 3:27 pm

Don't forget yourself. That would be 2.

dancestar8 Pennsylvania
01/18/13 7:21 pm

Hospitals freak me out..... Lawyer please!

BlackBenz Northwest Arkansas
01/18/13 4:28 pm

heyyjude; that is great. A close friend of mine worked for "the man", defending fortune 500 companies for years. About 2 years ago, she and another associate left and started a small boutique firm. She couldn't be happier.

BlackBenz Northwest Arkansas
01/18/13 4:26 pm

Sometimes I respond to the lawyer questions, other times I don't even bother. It drives me crazy to see all of the misquoted facts and gray areas of law discussed on online message boards and social media. We could be correcting and arguing points all day; I'd never get my real work done! ;)

susanr Colorado
01/18/13 3:02 pm

I imagine neither professional is having any fun while doing those things, but it's part of the job. (At least lawyers have a choice which clients they will defend, mostly.)

susanr Colorado
01/18/13 3:02 pm

Defense lawyers have to defend some scumbags because everyone deserves a fair trial.

ER doctors have to save the lives of some scumbags because everyone has the right to live.

mrken
01/18/13 2:56 pm

Doctors HATE lawyers, but lawyers LOVE (to sue) doctors!

ladyniner81 Embrace your inner dork
01/18/13 12:11 pm

I wanted to be a doctor, but I thought you had to go to school for 12 years (I was a kid I didn't know any better lol) but then I didn't think doctors could have epilepsy. .too bad, I wanted to go into forensics or be a coroner. .

Anarkitty
01/18/13 9:19 am

I would be a doctor, but I don't have he guts to look at other people's guts.

hapiotter2 Utah
01/18/13 7:18 am

From a former lawyer - don't do it!

hapiotter2 Utah
01/18/13 7:17 am

I was a lawyer for 5 years, didn't like it and switched professions. I didn't become a Dr though - I left that to my sis!

jamjay Atlanta, Ga
01/18/13 6:56 am

Neither.
Lawyers deal with too many assholes.
Doctors need to deal with one asshole; Obama.
Scary.

preemiedoc
01/18/13 4:49 am

When I finished medical school in 1984, I had $70K in loans (about $150K in today's dollars). Paid it back by 1995. Got about $20K/yr during my training (1984 to 1989). Some MDs make a lot of money. Also depends on where you live. In CT I am
middle class. I am blessed with family, not wealth.

pe1017 San Antonio
01/17/13 11:34 pm

I too visited the Supreme Court as a child and had the moment of epiphany... "This is where I will at one point argue, and I will argue for good." though I am still a young attorney, my colleagues have had the opportunity and speak highly of it. One day my friend... When the right case comes.

pe1017 San Antonio
01/17/13 11:25 pm

Congrats... Great school

Nikolaus
01/17/13 10:51 pm

Unfortunately it seems that if you want to get into a position of power to try to change this country for the better, you have to be a lawyer of some sort and in turn, you do not live in the environment in which your new laws will effect; yet these lawmakers insist they know what's best. SorryDrPaul

lawstudent Western NC foothills
01/17/13 10:29 pm

Starting law school this fall. Currently wrapping up my M.A.

captnate
01/17/13 10:05 pm

Lawyering much easier on the whole. At least I've always hoped for my own sake..

pe1017 San Antonio
01/17/13 10:02 pm

I was honestly wondering where my fellow attorney Benz was on this thread...

BlackBenz Northwest Arkansas
01/17/13 9:59 pm

I remember when I was a child, my parents are immigrants. We went on a vacation to the supreme court. I must have been 7 years old. I told my mother, "one day I will work here. I promise to show you honor." I always wanted to be an attorney, despite the flaws.

BlackBenz Northwest Arkansas
01/17/13 9:56 pm

I specialize in workers compensation and personal injury. Workers comp has a set fee % per state statute. Generally 20-25%. Arkansas is lower than surrounding states, but it used to only be 10%. The state had to increase it in order to retain the pool. There was no incentive with only a 10% fee.

lmurder MDK
01/17/13 9:53 pm

Columbia law next year finally! Was pre med but that lasted only for my freshman year.

BlackBenz Northwest Arkansas
01/17/13 9:52 pm

Unless you are a personal injury attorney. Then you get to deal with adults in chronic pain; which can be just as bad. Trust me on this.

RayX quit
01/17/13 9:45 pm

HM: Do what you love and love what you do... trite but true.
Regardless of what you do get good business training. You will need it in any profession.
I'm afraid you will be frustrated with the non productive stuff in either field. It's not so easy to do great things and help people.

saminsocks
01/17/13 9:43 pm

For lawyers, every case is like going to school again. And sometimes the law doesn't always win in the end. I couldn't defend someone I thought might be guilty or bear losing a case when I knew my client was innocent.

saminsocks
01/17/13 9:39 pm

Doctors may take in a lot but don't get to keep much in the states. So many stupid fees all because we live in a country that loves suing people!

hmharris SoCal
01/17/13 8:24 pm

I have actually been debating this very question the past week... I'm a senior in high school and soon I'll need to pick my major. I know I want to go on to either law school or med school after college but I can't decide! I would love some input and advice please :)

sgkitty new york
01/17/13 8:05 pm

I am a lawyer and wish I were a doctor.

wythanee
01/17/13 7:48 pm

You might consider that lawyers can save lives, as well. What if you were falsely accused of murder? Don't say it couldn't happen. And you might just need a really good lawyer.

wythanee
01/17/13 7:38 pm

Doctors are way more respected, but I'd rather be a lawyer. I find the law fascinating plus I think the ultimate challenge of being a defense lawyer would be rewarding--the idea of successfully defending someone who had been falsely accused of a crime.

LoisRight Illinois
01/17/13 7:07 pm

As the momma of a 1 lb 7 oz'r,
THANK YOU!
THANK YOU!
THANK YOU!
for what you do!!! My daughter survived her early start because of wonderful doctors like you! :)

MGMT Across the Universe
01/17/13 6:57 pm

I wouldn't like either of those jobs at all.. But I chose lawyer because I can't stand blood!

rothbard
01/17/13 6:40 pm

Everyone is centered around lawyers that sue people presumably wrongly but y'all forget about the lawyers who are getting people out of jail for shit they shouldn't go to jail for.

satiricalnick meh
01/17/13 6:16 pm

I'd rather save lives then ruin them.

kateXcore Dark side of the moon
01/17/13 6:13 pm

I said lawyer, but neither, really. I wouldn't get satisfaction from either job.

brownskins786 Virginia
01/17/13 5:03 pm

Well, I've got to say, I've got immense respect for you for pulling through both your medical school and residency training! Congratulations! :) But, if it's not too personal, why are you still heavily burdened with debt? Don't doctors usually BEGIN making triple salary, after residency finishes?

brownskins786 Virginia
01/17/13 4:59 pm

Well, as a brown (Indian or Pakistani) person, we're kind of bred to be doctors, and any child that doesn't aspire to be a doctor is seen as unambitious. So, maybe I'm biased, but I'd rather be a doctor. BUT, I DID want to be a surgeon even before my parents began shoving it down my throat! :)

dustbunny
01/17/13 4:39 pm

Doctors help people, their job seems fun at least in the ER it does. I couldn't defend some scumbag plus I'm a hot head I'd get kicked out of the courtroom a lot for pounding on a guy I know it's guilty.

dabrat East Coast
01/17/13 4:36 pm

Doctor-even though it's not what it used to be (ask any primary care doc), to me is more honorable/life-giving than a lawyer. Unless you're on the supreme court.

cornybread The Large Malus Fruit
01/17/13 3:59 pm

doctor, because i'd probably fall asleep in law school and flunk out.