Show Of Hands January 16th, 2013 12:00am

Would it be harder for you to live without eating fruits & vegetables, or without meat & dairy?

caligrl21 Huntington Beach
01/23/13 12:09 pm

I eat fruits so much but I don't think I can live without my ice cream

LilRed
01/22/13 8:38 am

Maybe after 10 years, but after a lifetime studies have solidly shown vegans live longer healthier lives than meat eaters (less cancers, heart disease). Im not saying I dont love to eat meat, but I try to refrain because of the long term health consequences.

susanr Colorado
01/20/13 11:00 am

So which would you give up? The point of the question is that you can't have both.

susanr Colorado
01/20/13 10:59 am

pinky -I would agree with that, if that were the question and those were the only two options. And if the survival situation lasted a matter of days rather than months.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
01/20/13 10:43 am

Not true. It's been tested. After a green tea and meat (only) diet, with exercise, for 10 years, the tester was pronounced healthy and fit.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
01/20/13 10:40 am

Actually, in a survival situation, you can survive much longer with better energy off a rabbit or a deer than you can off a tomato.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
01/20/13 10:38 am

Vegetables are delicious. Cheesy broccoli, buttered cauliflower, loaded mashed potatoes, fried okra! They all make great sides for my steak with feta cheese crumbles, and mushrooms on top!

susanr Colorado
01/19/13 1:59 pm

..That is, which would you least LIKE to do without?

I agree that a nutritionally sound vegan diet is no problem, but I have quite a few friends who have been vegan upwards of 40-50 years and are neither weak or whiney. I used to be one of them (omnivore now).

susanr Colorado
01/19/13 1:56 pm

I think there are a lot who don't understand, but I don't agree that the poll results are a consequence of that. The way the question was worded, it could be asking which would be harder nutritionally, OR (and I think this is they way. It's people took it) which would be harder to give up...

argenyle
01/19/13 1:43 pm

I'm not saying that eating animals is wrong, but the human body can survive on a vegan diet and live a life of normal length, albeit a bit weak and whiney. The human body cannot handle a carnivorous diet.

argenyle
01/19/13 1:37 pm

Apparently, 67% of SoH users don't understand human dietary needs.

Grocker
01/19/13 6:22 am

There are different types of protein that benefit in different ways. BTW, pumpkin seeds will kill tapeworms. Something I learned in Mex.

Grocker
01/19/13 6:19 am

Not all of us turn into parade balloons when we pass 25, or 30, or 40. Just the unlucky ones.

Grocker
01/19/13 6:18 am

But why? I'm in great shape, especially for my age. I say if it isn't broken, don't fix it.

Grocker
01/19/13 6:15 am

If endangered animals tasted good, they wouldn't be endangered anymore. Just a thought.

Grocker
01/19/13 6:12 am

Some human beings, not those of us who are of Dutch extraction. We developed lactose tolerance and desire for a reason, and it's genetic. This is a bit of an ethnocentric statement.

Weave77 Indianapolis
01/18/13 10:45 pm

Animals: fun to pet, better to chew.

Weave77 Indianapolis
01/18/13 10:44 pm

@DrReid,
According to your logic, the Inuit tribes in Alaska were zombies for over a millennia. Traditionally, they only ate meat (as pretty much nothing grows there). They got all of their vitamins and minerals from organ meat (which we don't eat much of now in America).

kadrianne
01/18/13 11:38 am

Fourwinds, I'm with you when it comes to mass production of animals. It's deplorable and inhumane the way animals are treated in mass production. Local farms are the places to go to truly learn about food consumption, from my experience.

kadrianne
01/18/13 11:31 am

Thank you KellyW. I try to be informed and realistic. For me I just cannot eat the meat from the grocery store anymore knowing where it has come from and how the animal was raised. If my husband wanted meat in a meal I would purchase from my local farmer where he has only grass fed roaming cows.

pvtliberal Ohio
01/18/13 11:00 am

Well, seeing that I already don't eat animal....

AndreasEdlef
01/18/13 9:57 am

As much as I love fruits and vegetable I wouldn't trade it for my dear MEAT!

fourwinds box of rain
01/18/13 9:02 am

KellyW that's a cop out. Of course animals will die simply b/c of human's interaction with the environment. The point here is that animals are basically treated like economic units with little compassion or value of life, which is ethically questionable; not really comparable to incidental deaths.

hapiotter2 Utah
01/18/13 7:15 am

I am lactose intolerant, so I already had to give up dairy. That is why I voted to keep veggies.

jamjay Atlanta, Ga
01/18/13 7:00 am

Easy - plant Gotta Go.
Not giving up my animals (and Gravy).

hexin Wisconsin
01/18/13 5:16 am

A diet of meat and dairy would get old really quickly. Rather have the variety of plants. Also tomatoes > everything

kellyw The Mississippi Delta
01/18/13 2:04 am

I have read Forks Over Knives. I am not convinced. You should read In Defense of Food or The Vegetarian Myth.

c6430hp
01/18/13 12:57 am

Excepting, the best dbl. bacon chee'boiger on the planet (at any Zipps in the Phoenix area! And no, I don't work there!) and Yoplait Yogurt, I have broken ties w/ beef and dairy. I refuse to give-up bacon and pulled pork-anything, but I could do w/o. Soy & almond milk rule. Veggies and fruits, too.

distortedsilence
01/18/13 12:34 am

As a vegan, I NEED my veggies and meat/dairy doesn't exist! :P

giottoblu Connecticut
01/18/13 12:28 am

No plants because it would literally be more difficult for me to survive. It's possible to get all your dietary requirements from a vegetarian/vegan diet, but not from an all meat/dairy/bread diet.

kellyw The Mississippi Delta
01/17/13 11:27 pm

Your body can make all the sugar it needs from protein and fat.

kaik12 Twin Cities, MN
01/17/13 11:23 pm

If I didn't force myself to eat them, I would never/rarely eat any fruits or veggies. I like a few fruits. But I can honestly say that I don't enjoy eating any veggies. I can simply withstand some better than others.

jclark86
01/17/13 10:56 pm

Had to choose animals because of milk... My favorite drink! Lol

lawstudent Western NC foothills
01/17/13 10:32 pm

I'm vegan. Piece of (dairy-free, egg-free) cake to live without killing animals.

Lulzy New Jersey
01/17/13 10:32 pm

Nothing will ever beat a slab of meat. You can tell me about your guac, protein dip, or even nuts--they all suck to me. I am most satisfied and energetic after feasting on a slab of meat.

I love to seen the efficiency of slaughter-houses. They're beautiful examples of human ingenuity.

kellyw The Mississippi Delta
01/17/13 9:37 pm

elbow, please read The Vegetarian Myth. I'm a farmer's wife (soybean and wheat). The short answer is, animals have to die for your food, whether you're a vegetarian or not. The best we can do is majestic sure that our food lives the best life possible and dies as humanely as possible...

elbow82 Veganland
01/17/13 9:21 pm

I respectfully disagree. Unless you're eating an animal that roamed free and died of old age, there's no such thing as cruelty free meat. There are greater and lesser degrees of cruelty, but please do some thorough research before you believe something like that.

elbow82 Veganland
01/17/13 9:20 pm

I'm a vegan, so this answer was the easiest choice I've made on SoH!

susanr Colorado
01/17/13 8:26 pm

I'll take a look at the book when I get a chance, then, and thanks. I certainly agree about ethical meat sources. (If I hadn't been concerned already, the
movie "Food, Inc." would have done it.) I'm glad I have a smallish store within walking distance that seems do do things right.

kadrianne
01/17/13 8:25 pm

I agree and do go that route should I buy meat. Now that I have an arsenal of vegetarian and vegan dishes I make my family and I don't miss the meat, and it's really helped on the grocery budget.

kellyw The Mississippi Delta
01/17/13 8:19 pm

I think, on the whole, it's the ethical arguments that have convinced me that seeking out ethical meat sources is most healthy and sustainable diet. I think it's worth a read just to understand her own struggle with the philosophical underpinnings of her diet.

kellyw The Mississippi Delta
01/17/13 8:17 pm

and ethical issues that I never considered as a lifetime meat eater even as I was very respectful of vegetarianism. I certainly don't agree with everything in the book. It takes a weird feminist turn in the middle that, while I don't think is wrong, is certainly distracting.

kellyw The Mississippi Delta
01/17/13 8:11 pm

I've not found the research to be shoddy, and it's certainly not the only source I've seen on this, it's simply the most digestible. I certainly believe that Americans can eat less meat and be healthy. Regardless, I find her ethical arguments to be the most convincing; she brings up political ...

kadrianne
01/17/13 8:11 pm

Many plant based foods provide adequate protein, e.g., beans, nuts, seeds. I agree milk provides some protein but there are many other healthy options to consume protein than pasteurized milk.

kellyw The Mississippi Delta
01/17/13 8:05 pm

There are ways to get cruelty-free meat.

kadrianne
01/17/13 8:00 pm

*meat (it's time for bed)