Show Of Hands January 16th, 2013 12:00am

Many U.S cities are outlawing smoking outdoors in public places such as parks, sidewalks, etc. Good idea?

sarah1911 Poolesville MD
01/22/13 10:23 am

Yes because I have coughing fits when I'm around cigarette smoke. I know it's not asthma because other smoke never bothers me.

PKB California
01/21/13 4:19 am

Nah. We can smell them fine without the star to tell.

car14fn Norfolk Virginia
01/21/13 1:28 am

Not a smoker, hate it infact but like someone said it is a free country

Dap
01/20/13 8:32 pm

I don't smoke, but I thought I lived in a free country... I agree with not letting people smoke in doors. But outdoors, come on...

susanr Colorado
01/20/13 4:34 pm

I don't know what kind of harm the added ingredients cause or whether they are responsible for triggering asthma attacks, but tobacco by itself contains substances that make cigarette smoke carcinogenic. Maybe those nicotine-only electronic "cigarettes" are a better answer.

briannabuckley
01/20/13 2:25 pm

The fact is that secondhand smoke is not a myth. It's fine to smoke, but not at the cost of someone else's health. Maybe my opinion will change when they start making cigarettes that are pure tobacco and none of those nasty other ingredients.

briannabuckley
01/20/13 2:22 pm

As a young child I had severe asthma and was in and out of the hospital for the first couple years of my life. Inhalation of cigarette smoke could set off an asthma attack. My own father smoked, but NEVER in front of me. Vulnerable lungs should not have to be exposed to cigarette smoke.

Damien
01/20/13 1:04 pm

What's next? Making smokers wear a star on their jacket or shirt so everyone knows that person smokes and might smell of smoke? Next we'll heard them onto trains and send them to smoking camps....

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
01/20/13 10:05 am

First it was inside private establishments, now it's public property. Where the hell are people supposed to smoke? This is a de facto smoking Prohibition, and it's wrong. And I'm not a smoker or tobacco user, for the record.

bs75758 Michigan
01/19/13 9:23 pm

So let me get this straight. I'm sitting there minding my own business when somebody comes and lights up right next to me and now I have to move because its his right to smoke? Doesn't quite seem fair to me.

topeka999
01/19/13 8:29 pm

I don't smoke, and I don't ever plan on it, but I think this is asking just a bit too much of the general public. No smoking on the sidewalk? Where else can they outside? I would be okay with none in parks, though.

jedigdi
01/19/13 2:03 pm

Sounds like a bunch of sissy nonsense to me. "Oh, my poor delicate nose!"

ajlorraine Illinois
01/19/13 1:13 pm

....I think this is bullshit, if I can't smoke a cigarette on the fucking sidewalk then obese people shouldn't be able to eat in public places its setting a bad example. And Christians shouldn't be able to hand out pamphlets or bibles as its polluting people's minds. Just a though

canecorso Las Vegas Nv
01/19/13 12:46 pm

It's funny how people assume lung cancer and smoking are related when 60% of Japanese smoke yet their lung cancer rates are half of what ours are.

Casi999
01/19/13 9:50 am

It's upsetting to see that so many people said no. It also irritates me. Just because you want to ruin your lungs doesn't mean you need to ruin everyone else's!

bman4jets
01/18/13 9:36 pm

Would protect my liberty not to get your cancer. Also the smell I so disgusting.

8455 Missouri
01/18/13 5:41 pm

I wish Joplin MO would go non smoking

krayzewolf New Hampshire
01/18/13 1:20 pm

Yay, Nanny State! Ya!

ladyniner81 Embrace your inner dork
01/18/13 11:57 am

I'm an ex smoker. I don't want to smell that crap when I'm walking anywhere

susanr Colorado
01/18/13 11:33 am

Couldn't tell who annoyed you. I voted no, myself. I don't smoke & wish all people would just magically quit, but that ain't gonna happen. I see no reason to restrict most outdoor smoking. I have concerns about outdoor exposure to cigarette smoke in areas where people are concentrated, though.

susanr Colorado
01/18/13 11:27 am

tech - No, certainly not. Looks like I gave the impression I thought that, though, so thanks for calling me out on it!

AndreasEdlef
01/18/13 9:57 am

Smoking is gross

mcspee Indiana
01/18/13 9:40 am

Just the ones who want to ban it outside, which seems like a majority here. If you ban it outside what's left? In there homes and then they are going to smoke around their kids, increasing the level of 2nd hand smoke. Crazy.

I am a non-smoker.

susanr Colorado
01/18/13 9:22 am

Oh my gosh, me too!

timewarrior6
01/18/13 7:45 am

I'm with maxums on this, 2nd hand isn't the same as direct smoking. Besides you all are STILL going on about this? After a day or two wouldn't you drop a stupid argument? Which this is a stupid argument because nothing we say here will change anything. So, moving on with my life, have fun bickering.

sal10851 Eastern Tennessee
01/18/13 6:53 am

I'll grow my own tobacco in worst case scenario. I've got plenty of seeds as well as pot seeds. Just in case.

jamjay Atlanta, Ga
01/18/13 6:52 am

I am an Ex smoker.
Of course, I believe that they should be banned in Amy form - Every Place.

Lovil
01/18/13 5:18 am

I admit, I have found one on me. :(

bliggs Veni Vidi Vigor
01/18/13 4:22 am

Smoking outside harms people? I suppose we should ban campfires as well!

NoblEst
01/18/13 1:38 am

Smoker :)

NoblEst
01/18/13 1:38 am

And I'm a 1/2 a pack a day smiker

NoblEst
01/18/13 1:38 am

Of course they shouldn't. They need to cut the BS already and just ban cigarettes all together. It's a bigger killer than all outlawed drugs combined. It's ridiculous that they're still legal.

c6430hp
01/18/13 1:20 am

A reversal of tolerance. True story. I was at a rock concert, here, in Phoenix. Guy in-front of me lights up a doobie. Police bust him for smoking, not over the maryhewanna.

Dustinjwcook
01/18/13 1:16 am

How are they stopping you from breathing exactly?

susanr Colorado
01/18/13 1:14 am

All of us?

c6430hp
01/18/13 1:12 am

Slowly, were are tuning into The United Nanny States of America. Leave my vices alone, Bloomberg et al.

susanr Colorado
01/17/13 11:05 pm

Feel free to scroll right past anything I write. It's actually pretty easy. But whether I "stop talking" is my own decision. Thank you for saying please, though.

Nikolaus
01/17/13 11:03 pm

The more erroneous laws we allow to be implemented, the closer we come to being ruled by a tyrannical government. Tyranny will have a new definition from being an absolute ruler of one person over many to being a collective of group think to impose absolute rule over the masses.

kdbc27
01/17/13 10:57 pm

Please stop talking. Nobody is listening to you!

ceej Michigan
01/17/13 10:38 pm

Read my first post dude. I don't smoke. I'm just saying, by your logic, I hope you're not anti-EPA.

dogsaver new Jersey
01/17/13 10:35 pm

You have the right to harm yourself if that is what you would like to do. I appreciate your unwillingness to harm me while you harm yourself. Thank you.

dogsaver new Jersey
01/17/13 10:34 pm

As long as their smoke can't harm anyone else. I revert back to my first statement. I don't have the right to walk up to you and start cutting your arm. You shouldn't have the right to harm me with your smoke!

ceej Michigan
01/17/13 10:32 pm

Then nor should businesses. I'm glad everyone is so pro EPA.