Show Of Hands January 16th, 2013 12:00am

Have you ever been put under a general anesthetic (i.e. knocked out for surgery)?

RElmer
01/24/13 11:55 am

Just weeks ago! Have had open heart surgery, pectus excavatum repair, and others.

nothingtosee
01/23/13 11:19 pm

test comment

CaseyECE
01/19/13 3:12 pm

Nope, only physically knocked out in a car crash.

Weave77 Indianapolis
01/18/13 10:21 pm

When I woke up from having my wisdom teeth removed (but was still very loopy), I apparently tried to make a humorous comment to the nurse about me being knocked out- but it came out as "it was a pleasure sleeping with you".

catey Pennsylvania
01/18/13 8:13 pm

Tonsils + Appendicitis + Endoscopy. Thank god that's all :)

ladyniner81 Embrace your inner dork
01/18/13 11:42 am

I had my wisdom teeth taken out, and I had a Vagal Nerve Stimulator put in. It's like a pacemaker for seizures. to try to stop them.

01/18/13 2:07 am

Those first few days, and especially the first few hours were rough, though.

01/18/13 2:06 am

could really get was his weight, length and that he was "okay, but had complications."
I have never felt such relief as I did when I was finally able to hold him and see my husband.
By the time he was 1 week, though, he was perfectly fine and he's now a very active and healthy 3 year-old. …

01/18/13 2:04 am

Oh gosh, how scary to have the epidural and the spinal not work!
Yeah, the waiting and waiting was driving me insane. My husband was with the baby the whole time, so I couldn't even talk to him. The nurses, bless them, kept going down to the NICU to get me updates on him, but all the info they…

fuette Minnesota
01/18/13 12:52 am

5 hours?! I bet you were going crazy with worry. Yah being awake for c-sections is awful (I had 2 more after the first, and the spinal worked for those).

fuette Minnesota
01/18/13 12:47 am

Yep. The spinal didn't numb me, I had an epidural earlier that didn't work either, so general anesthetic was what they had to do.

suro New York
01/17/13 11:54 pm

To marston44-- hang in there. I've been down the same road as you and also lost my left kidney to cancer. It'll be 4 yrs cancer free for me. Be faithful with your scans. I still go every 6 mos. With each negative scan you will relax a little more. Best of luck to a fellow survivor!!

PartyFree Nowhere in Particular
01/17/13 10:04 pm

That's what I thought Tony meant too. I didn't count the 4 times I've had conscious sedation, which was pretty trippy each time.

PartyFree Nowhere in Particular
01/17/13 10:01 pm

Ruptured cysts suuuuuuuuck! Good luck with your surgery!

PartyFree Nowhere in Particular
01/17/13 9:59 pm

7 times... which is 7 times too many, since my body hates GA.

jmw7477 Indiana
01/17/13 3:36 pm

No. I've been pretty lucky. Even when I flipped my truck on its side and tore my ear. They only did a local to pull out the damaged cartilage and sew it back up. No broken bones or surgeries.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
01/17/13 12:53 pm

When I lost my weight I had a big what is called skirt from extra stomach skin I prayed about it and my friends prayed about it and the insurance actually paid to take it off. I do believe prayer works.

01/17/13 12:49 pm

I got to see him for about 3 seconds before they whisked him off to the NICU. It was another 5-ish hours before I got to hold him. Aside for seeing him for those few seconds I wish I'd just been under for the whole thing.

01/17/13 12:49 pm

By the way, sorry, I'm not doubting you or anything. I'm just surprised. Going under for a c-section isn't very common. Sometimes I wish they had put me under for mine. The baby was in distress &when they said I needed an emergency c-section I had a panic attack that lasted almost the whole surgery.

01/17/13 12:45 pm

They put you under for the emergency c-section?

01/17/13 12:45 pm

Thank you Tops. I do genuinely appreciate it. :)

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
01/17/13 12:32 pm

Annie. I just prayed for you I asked God to open the doors for the right medications and if the pain stimulator will help you that the doors open for that also.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
01/17/13 12:27 pm

When I had mine done our insurance was good same company they have gotten awful

01/17/13 12:26 pm

I've got to at least try because it is probably (well, depending on the results of the test, I think) the only other option I have right now.

01/17/13 12:26 pm

of success. We and the doctor's office have been fighting with them over it ever since. We never stop fighting it and they never stop denying it. For seven months now. I can't imagine the battle to at least do a trial of the stimulator will go much better, but I think …

01/17/13 12:25 pm

on how those go I may just do battle with the company. It'll be a long fight, though. We switched insurance last summer (my husband's job switched & we don't really have a choice but to go with them) & when we did the new company denied one of my pain meds. A med I'd been on for 2 years with a lot…

01/17/13 12:23 pm

Yeah, Tops, last year my doctor was all ready to put me on the trial for one of those, unfortunately my insurance denied it. They basically said "Well, you have a TENS unit, so why would you need an internal one?"
I recently had some nerve tests done to see how bad the neuropathy is and depending…

wideawake
01/17/13 9:09 am

Hah! I didn't even think of that!

KudosToYou California
01/17/13 8:03 am

I've been put under twice: once for strabismus and once because of a partial tarsal coalition.

JackTorS Clap you stupid bastards
01/17/13 7:38 am

Once for my appendix back in the early '80's, and twice for the same wrist in '91 and '07. Bone graft surgery.

Sucked.

JanuaryLove
01/17/13 7:38 am

Thanks Susan and Annie.

Annie - You are right on the money. I agree.

JanuaryLove
01/17/13 7:35 am

An amusing anecdote when coupled with your username. :)

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
01/17/13 6:52 am

Annie I had something implanted in my back surgically is called a pain stimulator. It is actually like a TEMS unit. It blocks the brain singles that you're in pain or interrupts them.

outdoorgirl
01/17/13 5:26 am

I've had a 'light' sedation for a couple of things but have never been completely put under.

01/17/13 3:25 am

Eberber- I don't know about on other devices, but on mine if I tap on the little pie charts that say 76% and so n, it tells the number of votes. Right now there are 7904 votes nationally, but only 5051 total for the income results.

01/17/13 3:19 am

Okay, the neck vertebrae made me wince. Ouch!
It sounds awful to go through all that as a kid, but thankfully you haven't needed surgery since (I'm assuming).

01/17/13 3:18 am

I'm so sorry, JLove. Truly.
And I agree with Susan. Rudeness and lack of compassion in those circumstances seems almost unforgivable. Sadly, it seems that some in the medical field are very cynical, jaded and/or self-absorbed. Thankfully the caring ones make up for them in spades.

01/17/13 3:14 am

Aside from developing a pretty nasty kidney infection post-surgery, it went great. It was an easy recovery and it relieved the pain almost instantly.

01/17/13 3:14 am

Thanks Owl. :)
And yeah, I don't want to deal with kidney stones ever again. That was outrageous pain. Probably the single most painful thing I've ever experienced.
I had one stone wedged in my ureter that was huge (9mm when 5mm is about the most that a person can pass) & the rest were in my kidney.

01/17/13 3:09 am

Small town is fine (sometimes even great) for GPs and even some specialties like rheumatology or pain management, but not for major, life-changing things like neurosurgery.

01/17/13 3:09 am

And now I have some damage in my neck causing trouble there and down both arms.
If/when I have to have surgery again I'm going to go to San Antonio, Austin or Houston. I'm not messing with the small town doctors down here any more than I have to. Especially not for major procedures/surgeries. …