Show Of Hands January 15th, 2013 12:00am

Should Washington D.C. have its own Senators (it doesn't now)?

mitche11
01/22/13 11:21 pm

Should have one senator. Not senators.

winner
01/22/13 10:16 pm

Why? It's a city, not a state. Become a state and get your senators.

sarah1911 Poolesville MD
01/22/13 10:33 am

They have reps why not senators? And those people should have a say in legislation. I don't get the big deal. The President gets the final say anyway, as he should.

GregA
01/21/13 12:07 pm

Join northern DC with the state of Maryland.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
01/20/13 9:51 am

We have the right to keep and bear arms as part of the right to self-defense. The right to self-defense is inherent, not granted by any government or document. The Constitution simply documents existing fact and existing rights in the Bill of Rights.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
01/20/13 9:43 am

It already has 100. How many more does it need? They, by and large, look out for D.C. far better than they look out for the rest of us.

cmg1993
01/19/13 6:34 pm

I'd they don't like then they should move

cmg1993
01/19/13 6:33 pm

Cuz it's not a state

Casi999
01/19/13 10:07 am

D.C. Is not a state, therefore should NOT have its own senators.

Threeper301 Gilbert, AZ
01/19/13 2:27 am

They do...through the HOUSE. They are the DISTRICT of Columbia, and Districts only rate Representatives. Why is this so hard to understand?!?! Take an American Government class, people!! For God's sake!! smh

Threeper301 Gilbert, AZ
01/19/13 2:25 am

D.C. stands for DISTRICT of Columbia. Districts rate only Representatives. D.C. would have to be granted statehood to rate seats in the Senate.

Nate01
01/18/13 8:17 am

There is a process by which DC can obtain voting Senators (as opposed to its current non-voting one), which is the same process by which its Delegate can become a Congressman: return to Maryland or become a state. It's all in the Constitution so let's calm down, read it, and follow the simple rules.

SouthernG Man Cave
01/17/13 9:08 pm

As to paying taxes, that's debatable......

SouthernG Man Cave
01/17/13 9:08 pm

Fore fathers said otherwise for good reason

susanr Colorado
01/17/13 7:19 pm

cheesechile, I accidentally attached replies to your message to the one above it. Sorry about that.

susanr Colorado
01/17/13 7:18 pm

And I agree about the national gems - The year I lived there my daughter was 7-8. We hit at least one part of the Smithsonian, other museum, government building, etc. each weekend. And we lived near the zoo so we went there often. Great pocket parks, too. Wouldn't want to live there longterm tho.

susanr Colorado
01/17/13 7:15 pm

...else. Not to mention that there are a good number of private & public universities that have nothing to do with government, and major medical centers that serve all the residents. I'm not saying it should be treated as a state; I'd be happy if their rep. To Congress were able to vote...

susanr Colorado
01/17/13 7:12 pm

...actual representation in the government.. [Sorry, BChrome, these messages were intended for cheesechile below.] when I lived there I didn't get the sense that everything revolved around the fed. gov't. I lived in a neighborhood that had shopping & entertainment & businesses just like anywhere...

susanr Colorado
01/17/13 7:09 pm

Only about 30% of the residents actually work for the government. I understand what you mean about many of the others being in jobs that support those that do, but that's true for a lot of jobs in other cities; they support people working in some industry or other. That doesn't mean they have...

asia
01/17/13 5:03 pm

DC has a non voting representative.

meepx22
01/17/13 1:52 pm

Washington D.C. is NOT a state, so it should not have its own senators.

chile safer than congress
01/17/13 5:37 am

Yes, Many of times. everything either supports or entertains the populace that is there for the fed government. Highest density of fed workers in the nation. Albeit most commute from outside areas.
Great place to vacation - can't beat the number of national gems in such a concentrated area.

moonshot More often I know nothing
01/17/13 12:46 am

Giving specific power to individual 'states' is an antiquated concept and should be done away with entirely. Our country was founded by a bunch of forward thinking men. Why should we stop looking forward now? Do you really think that what they created is perfect?

moonshot More often I know nothing
01/17/13 12:43 am

I do understand it, more than this forum allows for a full explanation. I fundamentally disagree with our system of representation and believe that there are better systems that we could create going forward. One person, one vote should be the guiding principle.

susanr Colorado
01/17/13 12:34 am

Anyone who thinks citizens should have the right to own guns needs to actually read the Constitution. -- United States, 1788.

The Bill of Rights didn't exist until 1789. The Constitution, thank the founders, is not written in stone.

susanr Colorado
01/17/13 12:31 am

Because it's not "the government." It's over 600,000 *people,* about as many as the state of Vermont and more than the state of Wyoming. The people don't all work for the government. I lived there. I didn't work for the government. I was taxed. I had no representation.

mpatt89 West Texas, Lubbock
01/17/13 12:31 am

that the intricacies of this are lost on far to many Americans. And with this comment, I am through beating my head against a brick wall.

mpatt89 West Texas, Lubbock
01/17/13 12:30 am

Obviously you don't. The senate is EQUAL for ALL states, and is balanced by the house, which is determined by population. To have equal representation in both branches would mean that many states would get much more say than even your state does. This is a foolish discussion. It is apparent...

susanr Colorado
01/17/13 12:25 am

Have you ever been there? In areas away from the government buildings?

moonshot More often I know nothing
01/17/13 12:22 am

I understand it completely. I just don't agree with it.

mpatt89 West Texas, Lubbock
01/17/13 12:18 am

Those who whine about the unfairness of two senators per state obviously do not understand the nature of our bicameral legislative body, or the reason for it.

moonshot More often I know nothing
01/17/13 12:13 am

Exactly! In our political system, citizen living in Wyoming having greater representation in congress than people living in California. In addition, due to the Electoral College, their presidential vote counts for more as well. The system is wrong and should be changed!

moonshot More often I know nothing
01/16/13 11:54 pm

Yes, I am aware of how it all works. Personally, I would rewrite the constitution (imagine that!) and do away with the Senate entirely. While I'm at it, I would kick the Electoral College system to the curb as well. One person, one vote, I say!

alyse
01/16/13 10:38 pm

The citizens of DC still pay taxes. They should have the right to a say in our government.

staygolden
01/16/13 10:28 pm

Every state has? Why not Washington, D.C.

chile safer than congress
01/16/13 10:02 pm

Wyoming produces and supplies goods to other states.

What does DC produce?

chile safer than congress
01/16/13 9:59 pm

They are beneficiaries of our federal tax system, albeit most indirectly earn the benefit as providers of services or goods (acquired from actual states) to federal employees and government contractors.

bchrome
01/16/13 9:58 pm

Anyone who thinks DC should have representation (including Obama), needs to actually Read our Constitution. There is a reason it is the way it is.

chile safer than congress
01/16/13 9:57 pm

The other 50 states have GDP.

Washington DC has a negative GDP because it only furnishes the goods that others produced. It might be a necessary component of government, but does not resemble a state in any way.

At best, it is a confined city, and thus a mayor is adequate representation.

MrWolfe Nashville
01/16/13 9:53 pm

You have proportional, direct representation in the House.
The Senate having equal representation is because the populace moves around over time, so states need specific, consistent representation.
Short-term population vs. long-term

db4of4
01/16/13 8:04 pm

To the person from Guam who said yes. I'm very interested in hearing the reasons for your answer.

sara VA
01/16/13 7:28 pm

It's ironic and sad that the capital of a country founded in opposition to "taxation without representation" is taxed without representation. DC is the center of national politics, but is also home to more than 600,000 people who are subject to laws and taxes in which they have no say.

eshelmsc York, PA
01/16/13 7:28 pm

Why not just incorporate them into MD or Virginia. We need to reapportion the states so they all have a roughly similar population.

soulfighter
01/16/13 7:11 pm

If residents and businesses in DC get taxed then they should have representation.

RJ1969 SoCal
01/16/13 6:09 pm

yes. It has to do with whether it is classified as a state or not. my point is that it's not very equitable. A senator and vote for every 275,000 people in Wyoming or every 18,000,000 in California.

....just sour grapes after listening to one of them today on fox n friends. what a joke.

thatguy81 here
01/16/13 6:08 pm

Dang it! At least I wasn't the one who admitted it first! :)

RJ1969 SoCal
01/16/13 6:01 pm

it happens more often than you think, just not all the time.

thatguy81 here
01/16/13 6:00 pm

RJ, we are remembering that the Senate has nothing really to do with the amount of people right?

thatguy81 here
01/16/13 5:58 pm

Did RJ and I just agree on something?

RJ1969 SoCal