Show Of Hands February 3rd, 2012 12:00am

Is more than one language spoken in your household? (UserQ)

02/12/12 9:32 pm

Mostly English but one of my parents studied French in school and she taught us like 5 frases in French like moi pronounced mwa means me and I don't know how to spell it but u say it like Su vu play means will you please

02/11/12 7:14 pm

Does pig Latin count?

Tobi Ohio
02/11/12 7:44 am

Mostly English, Spanish is secondary as not all of us speak it. Also, epiclol @ speaking "American".

02/07/12 11:39 am

English and German. Although our German is not fluent, yet

lilipad Tennessee
02/06/12 6:25 pm

Congratulations to all you that do!! I think it's so cool! All I know is a little Spanish...

JamesMadison La Palma
02/06/12 5:16 pm

I live in America, so i speak English

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
02/06/12 8:54 am

Denver. For some reason we get a warm snap this time of year. Then the spring rains will come. I get as excited as a 4 year old when it snows. We did not use heat for two days.

mme Iowa
02/05/12 10:04 pm

We have English, French, and Ewe going on at our house. My babies who are 1 and 3 are learning all 3 languages. I need to catch up because all I know is English and a few words of French and Ewe.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
02/05/12 6:09 pm

English native, Spanish for educational/professional purposes.

palindrome California
02/05/12 2:12 pm

Spanish in the home
But we try to speak Spanish as often as possible outside too. Not hard living in CA hehe

02/05/12 1:39 pm

I almost forgot-I can habla un poquito espanol, but my cat reminded me I speak fluent feline

preemiedoc
02/05/12 1:32 pm

usually it is the mother's tongue that is most important. my Mom only spoke English, so the French was lost. all my other cousins are fluent in French and English

preemiedoc
02/05/12 1:31 pm

otherwise, if they answer in English, they will be able to understand their parents, but unable to converse in that language.

preemiedoc
02/05/12 1:30 pm

My grandparents spoke French only in the house. the only caveat is that the children have to speak to their parents in the foreign language.

preemiedoc
02/05/12 1:28 pm

my father's first language was French (French Canadian). he was fluent in both english and french

preemiedoc
02/05/12 1:27 pm

I tell parents who are fluent in a language other than English to speak only their native tongue in the home. the child will learn English, and what a great gift to give your child.

02/05/12 1:24 pm

ONLY when my Son visits to I have "another language" spoken here-he gets on the phone/computer, and speaks German, Chamorro, Japanese, Gaelic, and/or Chinese...<sigh> ;)

02/05/12 12:03 pm

If you think the national language should be English, and you want to make a *law* about it, then you're pretty ignorant about how America was formed in the first place. We are all immigrants; why don't you go learn some Native American if you think you truly know what "American" really means?

timewarrior6
02/05/12 7:58 am

Born in America, I speak it's main language which is ENGLISH, and if you also live in America, so should you. Now does shorthand text (LOL, BRB G2G) count as a second language. If so, still no.

higuys Illinois
02/05/12 7:42 am

not unless sarcasm is a language.

jples
02/05/12 7:28 am

My husband and I are fluent in both English and Spanish.

02/05/12 6:29 am

Hi Tops dear, well the sun came out yesterday, blue sky on white snow, gorgeous. Went to a movie and saw some guys in T-shirts but they must've been drinking because it was only 26 degrees out, lol. Good to hear from you my friend :)

PartyFree Nowhere in Particular
02/05/12 3:14 am

A veces I forget which language I'm speaking, entonces it comes out así. :-)

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
02/05/12 2:34 am

till its time to leave. I wish we had snow. But today was t shirt weather.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
02/05/12 2:32 am

Dlyliny and Denver my border collie could somehow tell who was driving the mail truck! If Linda was he was out as soon as could be. She trained him to hop in the truck/cart and ride with her. That habit sure surprised the FedEx man. You say beach to him and he sits by the door looking at you

sbakh1012 New York
02/04/12 9:10 pm

@BlackBenz Yes, but we say Persian to make it sound nicer.

Comet? Tennessee
02/04/12 8:47 pm

@dlyliny1 blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,..........u r our well known big month comments. :-)

dlyliny1 New York
02/04/12 8:32 pm

@Denver, I agree...my dogs def can tell time (esp if that time involves food ;))! Isn't it so fun watching how excited dogs get in the fresh snow?? I love when they snuffle their noses into it and then have a snow beard when they look at you! Adorable!

02/04/12 8:09 pm

Yes Dlyliny our Berner is the best breed we've ever had and that's saying a lot... He's absolutely loving this two feet of snow we got, too - it's his ideal weather lol. And whoever says dogs can't tell time is only hoping to make themselves feel better, IMO.

dlyliny1 New York
02/04/12 7:13 pm

that make for entertaining and sometimes heated debates, most are coherent and understand the topic. When you have an intelligent or genuinely clever comment, please share. Until then, please go take an ESL course or two before you post more indecipherable comments.

dlyliny1 New York
02/04/12 7:13 pm

I feel the need to request that you please STFU. Perhaps you are trying to be amusing by making fun of people who truly don't have a good command of the English language. If so, not only are you not amusing, but you sound like an asswipe. While folks on here have very diverse beliefs and opinions

dlyliny1 New York
02/04/12 7:12 pm

you speak some horribly butchered version of (I think?) English. Normally I would be polite and reserve comment, even though your annihilation of my mother tongue makes me cringe, but your comments are so unintelligible and aggressive/obnoxious that, as someone who truly does "speak [the] English",

dlyliny1 New York
02/04/12 7:12 pm

@CuriousEri, I've now tried to decipher three of your comments. You wrote below that [you are] "speaking the sign language" and [your] "family is speaking the English" and then you concluded with "You are completely jerk!!!" I hate to tell you this, but you definitely do NOT speak English;

phalanx Ohio
02/04/12 7:04 pm

Apart from my sporadic bursts into Latin...no.

dlyliny1 New York
02/04/12 6:19 pm

@Gunny, love all yr languages (but now I have to go on Google to look some of them up!) The best is the "bullus excretus", though...I happen to be rather fluent in that language myself, and I can't even use the Heinies as an excuse (although i do get more fluent after some wine ;))!

02/04/12 6:18 pm

@ODSVET yeah, and we should all be Protestant and own a gun. And while were at it, let's just kick out all the blacks, Jews, mexicans, Asians, and anyone else who isn't 100% good ole white U S of A

dlyliny1 New York
02/04/12 6:16 pm

@DenverDM, thanks! Dogs have a ridiculously accurate sense of time. Tonight I was slow getting their dinner ready so they all stood under my feet, half-growling/whining/talking...you could absolutely hear them saying, "Uh, hello?? Where's the grub??" So funny! Love Berns...so beautiful and sweet!

02/04/12 4:39 pm

Dlyliny, love the 'yap-anese' lol. My dogs sure know it's almost 5:00 here, which cracks me up since we're never home by then during the week, go figure. My Berner's staring me in the face as I type...

Wert A picture of my junk
02/04/12 4:32 pm

Possibly. Sometimes I have no idea what my wife it talking about.

ODSVET
02/04/12 3:31 pm

There should be only ONE language spoken in the USA and that is English and should be a constitutional amendment

Comet? Tennessee
02/04/12 3:21 pm

Of course, I am using the sign language. My family is speaking the English. You better read my sign instead of read the lip. You are completely jerk!!!