Show Of Hands January 15th, 2013 12:00am

A former Ohio teacher has filed a discrimination lawsuit against her school district for assigning her a junior high school teaching position in spite of her having "pedophobia" - a fear of young children. Pick a side.

sarah1911 Poolesville MD
01/22/13 10:35 am

If she would prefer teaching high school let her. If she is afraid she will be ineffective in teaching.

susanr Colorado
01/21/13 5:55 pm

Because she didn't have a problem with older students. She taught 2 languages to high-school students for *35* years. You can do that for that long and be a "dip" about teaching.

dooles07 Massachusetts
01/21/13 10:29 am

Why are you a teacher then dipshit?

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
01/20/13 9:24 am

You need (usually) higher education levels to teach college level, and the prep-work and grading is more intensive.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
01/20/13 9:23 am

First, junior high is not young children. It's early teens and tweeners. Second, nobody wants to be stuck in a roomful of that age group. Sounds like her ruse to get out of it didn't work, and now she's mad. District all the way. Don't like it? Switch school districts.

ineedaname
01/20/13 3:30 am

Why is she even a teacher if she is scared of kids? Stupid stupid stupid.

junior79
01/19/13 12:57 pm

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Being a teacher and having a Phobia of kids is like being a doctor with phobia of needles. Dumbest thing ever.

Casi999
01/19/13 10:34 am

fullofjoy, yay! I'm not considered a small child! But seriously, don't get a job as a teacher if you're scared of kids. If you are and you want to be a teacher, try specifically saying you want to teach college.

Think Lovin Life
01/18/13 7:30 pm

4dr ... You're kidding right? You are the one who needs to look at the facts. She taught for 35 years. The school finally phased out the French program. They didn't need her there any more. They found her another job, which happened to be at the middle school. She should have been grateful.

meeksb11
01/18/13 6:55 pm

Discrimination: making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit

It seems to me she is the one who wants to be discriminated upon

meeksb11
01/18/13 6:54 pm

Is it right what the district did? Its debatable though I say they were perfectly within their rights. But is it discrimination? I dont see a case there at all

meeksb11
01/18/13 6:51 pm

High school students middle school students...whats the difference? There really isnt one. Some of the kids are less than a year apart from eachother. There was no place for her-what could the district do? If they violated her contract that would be one thing, but I don't see any discrimination

toadocean Salt Lake City, UT
01/18/13 9:59 am

And you need to learn how to properly use the words your and you're. ;)

fullofjoy
01/18/13 6:43 am

I would not consider JR high, young children. Maybe she should find a new career. Especially since she is afraid of children.

4drvolvo Michigan
01/17/13 10:45 pm

Gotta hear the whole story people. District knew about her phobia and still hired her. Phobia only applies to younger kids. So when they wanted a new middle school teacher, they moved her without even asking. That's the bit... The teacher has a case here.

susanr Colorado
01/17/13 9:19 pm

Seems like I do, Mable, since other people keep making the same non-pertinent comments without knowing any of the facts.

And I won't ever characterize someone else's comments as stupid, no matter how much I disagree with them.

Mable
01/17/13 8:54 pm

Susan, wth? Do you personally know this woman or what? You don't literally have to keep making the same stupid comment in her defense.

DrRefereeMD
01/17/13 6:21 pm

See this is why we can't have nice things.

TideGal CFL
01/17/13 5:44 pm

Don't be a teacher if you have a fear of kids. Duh.

MsMandi
01/17/13 4:52 pm

The fact this suit even exists shows how sad this culture is right now

anonymousmn Minnesota
01/17/13 1:45 pm

She shouldn't have become a teacher. Give up your license!

BadWolf The Library
01/17/13 12:21 pm

Do people that fear small spaces not have to work in cubicles?

TiltonAllStarz Outside Ur Comfort Zone
01/17/13 11:23 am

Wtf? Why the hell did she become a teacher??

swasden Springville, UT
01/17/13 10:33 am

If you're scared of children, don't become A TEACHER!

nightcrow44 the dark side
01/17/13 9:11 am

Well apparently teachers teach and are obligated to teach what ever grade the school district needs them to teach and to sue because she is afraid is not a good and quite silly reason get therapy if she needs to the teacher has issues and shouldn't be teaching at all if its that bad

Think Lovin Life
01/17/13 2:16 am

Susan ... let it go! The principle from 35 years ago is dead, and the fact that they were able to keep her in the same job for 35 years seems as though they'd honored the promise.

They have phased out the job, and yet they found her another position. Seems reasonable. Take it or leave it.

Think Lovin Life
01/17/13 2:10 am

Yep ... A great run, and it is time to step aside.

susanr Colorado
01/17/13 12:22 am

Apparently she enjoyed teaching high school students because she did it for 35 years, and wanted to continue doing it.

susanr Colorado
01/17/13 12:20 am

Apparently she could stand high-school kids just fine, because she taught them for 35 years.

susanr Colorado
01/17/13 12:19 am

Which minds need high-school Spanish & French the most?

susanr Colorado
01/17/13 12:15 am

She taught high-school French & Spanish for 35 years.

iloveyou1216
01/16/13 11:16 pm

Aren't most students young compared to their teacher? So I'm not exactly sure what grade level she was planning on teaching?

smacc DunningKruger
01/16/13 11:02 pm

Thank you susanr/NiteOwl it all sounds so petty. I for one know anyone that teaches for that long love loves it. I saw it in my great aunt born way back 1905 or so, a school principle.

jhej99 home
01/16/13 9:36 pm

You should not be a teacher if your not willing to teach the minds who need it most.

Think Lovin Life
01/16/13 9:19 pm

... some people ... those in the entitlement class ... the rest of us earn our own way so as not to steal from the rest of society.

Think Lovin Life
01/16/13 9:13 pm

A good case for impartial teacher evaluations.

Think Lovin Life
01/16/13 9:12 pm

Ginger ... and what does your observation add to the discussion?

The tragedy is that there are people like this woman who feel entitled to continue to get paid long after their services are no longer required. And I'm encouraged that there are so many like mind people left. There's still hope!

noneoftheabove South Mitten
01/16/13 7:57 pm

Once upon a time in a graduate level course to train school administrators, the prof asked each educator on the room why the wanted to be a principal. One replied "Because I can't stand the kids." He must be related to this gal.

Gingerred primum non nocere
01/16/13 7:49 pm

I want to thank 300+ of you for the ingenious comments asking why she's a teacher if she's afraid of children. Congratulations, that was a very original thought. None of the hundreds of other comments had thought of that yet! Really adds to the discussion. :)

mrcoyote Casa Grande
01/16/13 6:55 pm

If ya cant handle the wooden spoon, on the ass, stay out of the cookie jar lady

kjs Minnesota
01/16/13 6:49 pm

My kids have been bullied by teachers who are unhappy with what they are doing. Some have been teaching for years. Just because a teacher has been teaching for a long time, doesn't mean they are a good teacher.

itanimulli
01/16/13 5:48 pm

Is this for serious? Then don't take the job. People are always looking for a reason to sue.

Burntwaffle VA Politics and Pie
01/16/13 5:40 pm

Well, if the teacher is going to be miserable, its best if she doesnt teach young children.

nightcrow44 the dark side
01/16/13 3:44 pm

Why is God's name is she a teacher?

mushpuppy
01/16/13 3:34 pm

It's just the way public education operates. You have to pick your battles with open eyes and be willing to accept the consequences. I don't believe the publicly funded court system is the place for this battle. I would launch a publicity campaign before I'd sue. Suing just seems like you want money

mushpuppy
01/16/13 3:32 pm

The potential outcomes. There's a lot of stuff my district does that seems unfair or unwise, but before I speak out, I ask myself if its worth losing my job over. I'm very well aware that my district leaders have the authority and pettiness to make me suffer if I publicly displease them.

mushpuppy
01/16/13 3:29 pm

I understand about the verbal agreement, but if her job was being eliminated for the online position, them it seems she had a choice to take the middle school job or quit.

I also understand the frustration that this may be in retaliation for speaking up about changes, but she should have weighed

jamesssss St. Louis, MO
01/16/13 2:45 pm

I work for FedEx and have a fear of cardboard boxes. I'm suing. I specifically told them this.

niteowl Hold Fast
01/16/13 1:34 pm

Susan/smacc, I just commented way down below but it seems there is something fishy going on. Almost like the district was trying to force her to retire.