Show Of Hands January 15th, 2013 12:00am

iOS users: do you prefer Apple's Map app or Google's?

PuppyLvr In love with Listgarten
01/22/13 11:39 pm

The only reason I found this poll was because of Tony's post about scrolling all the way down. Why are some polls posted below other ones? I sometimes miss those ones.

susanr Colorado
01/20/13 1:43 pm

Plus Google maps has had years to mature - with input from users, I suspect. Apple's will certainly improve also given some time.

thertaylor
01/17/13 9:41 am

Not sure about that. I think Apple uses a form of Siri for the voice integration. Don't bash without thorough knowledge.

thertaylor
01/17/13 9:39 am

I use both. I have never had problems with Apple Maps (where I travel) despite the criticism. I feel most of the ado was overblown by Apple-haters. I've noticed equal errors in both.

DHM
01/16/13 10:46 pm

I use both interchangeably. They're both pretty solid.

zedd Desert Dweller
01/16/13 9:20 pm

I miss the Google Maps from IOS 5. I loved how Google Street View was integrated into it. I'd often just "explore" somewhere I've never been before with it.

fourwinds box of rain
01/16/13 3:52 am

Don't think I've ever even bothered with apple's, lol

susanr Colorado
01/16/13 2:34 am

Not sure what you mean by this. Could you explain?

Zod Above Pugetropolis
01/15/13 8:39 pm

I have to revise my comments, not my vote. The Apple map app is so poor that it's worse than no app at all, which is what I've been using since "upgrading" to iOS6. Google maps on Safari is still better than the Apple map app on the iPad; the Google app on the iTouch is better than the Apple app.

TheMadScientist the mad laboratory
01/15/13 8:22 pm

Tony, I guess that answers another question I have been having; about 15% of SoH users don't read the questions.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
01/15/13 8:17 pm

KittyCat I'm sorry, I had a senior moment, and you are correct - the Google map app I mentioned is teeny-tiny on the iPad, which is why I deleted it from the iPad (kept it on the iTouch). I've been using a shortcut to Google maps in Safari on the iPad which works so well I forgot it wasn't the app.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
01/15/13 7:24 pm

KittyCat the new Google Maps app from last month is optimized for iPhone5, but shows compatible with a list of other devices. It works fine with my iPad2, full screen, none of that x2 stuff. It also works fine on my iTouch(4th gen). You should try it, it's free, and you can always delete it.

KittyCat
01/15/13 6:36 pm

Google maps is only for iPhones, not for iPads. I use Apple Maps now and it's fine in the cities. But FYI there is no road south of Hoover Dam that runs through the Colorado River....

LAkers48 Minnesota
01/15/13 3:41 pm

Google maps & this is why: Apple intentionally left voice turn by turn off all iPhones earlier than 4s. It is not due to hardware limitation. Heck, I had it on my Android G1 years ago . Apple just wants 2 force consumers 2 upgrade, as if Apple fans wouldn't upgrade NEways. 2 that I say - F U Apple.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
01/15/13 2:29 pm

Lets just say when it comes to tablets, the Nexus is no iPad, and when in comes to maps, Apple's map app is crap. It's also no Google Maps.

susanr Colorado
01/15/13 2:04 pm

I'll be traveling for about a week at the end of the month, though, so I may have more reason to try both, & maybe switch.

susanr Colorado
01/15/13 2:02 pm

I know there have been problems with Apple's newish Maps app, but it seems to handle everything in the area where I live quite well & maybe includes more commercial stuff, so I've just continued to use it. I downloaded the Google maps app as a backup.

Quinnipiac Here
01/15/13 1:28 pm

i dont like how google maps app hijacks my bluetooth in the car.

moonshot More often I know nothing
01/15/13 12:46 pm

Google Maps is the greatest program ever written.

RayX quit
01/15/13 9:59 am

Does anybody else have trouble seeing the roads with the new Apple Map app.

There's very little contrast between the road color and background and no control.

moldering
01/15/13 8:49 am

Well if I want to get to where I'm going, then Google Maps. If I'm looking for an adventure, I'll trust Apple maps to lead me to nowhere.

Zack100 Tatooine
01/15/13 8:29 am

First. Not much difference between the two