Show Of Hands December 31st, 2011 12:00am

Did you attend a religious service in 2011?

01/14/12 2:09 pm

Agnostic, so no. I don't believe in 'organized' religion.

01/12/12 6:57 am

modern science have proved that, "wool… and then it went into the quote. Hope that answers your question!

FIAT LUX!

01/12/12 6:56 am

So, in short, my answer is that I am still in accord with that command, I have no reason to break it, and God CREATED the forces of nature, which undoubtedly means that he knows the best way to use them. Also, preceding that quote, my source said, "and the observations and researches of…

01/12/12 6:55 am

passing off from the body, it meats with the heated air, inflames and excoriates like a blister" (Whitelaw). So, one could also deduce that like the command to dig a hole in which to defecate, then cover it up, God knew something about modern science (duh), and instructed them in a safe path…

01/12/12 6:53 am

allowed, which means that I am still in accord to that rule with most modern day clothing. Also, it appears that "Wool, when combined with linen, increases its power of passing off the electricity from the body. In hot climates it brings on malignant fevers, and exhausts the strength, and when…

01/12/12 6:52 am

with, so it must not be a common idea anymore. But, when it was in usage, it appears to either have something to do with superstition, or flaunting a social class, neither of which is acceptable in God's eyes. So, with this translation it appears that only this particular combination wasn't…

01/12/12 6:52 am

@tabbser I wasn't there when the command was given. But here is my best guess on what it is. I think the text more properly fits the translation of woolen and linen garments, instead of a blanket statement of any mixed garment. Now firstly, I don't know if I've even seen this combination to begin…

moonshot More often I know nothing
01/11/12 11:04 pm

btw, our species belief in the existence and immortality of a soul predates our belief in a god. the belief in a god grew from our belief in an immortal soul.

moonshot More often I know nothing
01/11/12 11:02 pm

I attended my uncles funeral. that was enough for one year.

tabbser
01/09/12 11:49 pm

@fiat2lux So, is wearing mixed fibers ok (levitus 19:19) and, specifically, which scripture has superseded it, given that we wear lined and wool ? There are many others, too many to count too. How do you reconcile that ?

tabbser
01/09/12 11:41 pm

@maverick Hope and belief are two very different things. I hope there is a creator, but I believe there is not. I like the idea of a creator, I just don't think it's true.

tabbser
01/09/12 11:37 pm

age filter not surprising, they have been forced by their parents ;-)

Atheist A sheep amidst wolves
01/09/12 2:02 pm

No I did not. Good to see the world does not yet have a shortage of crazy people though.

JS1979
01/08/12 1:43 pm

the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

JS1979
01/08/12 1:32 pm

don't mistake the message because of its messengers. all fall short of the glory of God.

01/08/12 11:57 am

@tylowill well what if their mom drags them along? Lol. Not my case, but it wouldn't surprise me.

FIAT LUX!

Maverick Problem Solver
01/07/12 12:12 pm

@Tabber - interesting... I like your response to your not purchasing lotto tickets. However, individuals have, in fact, won the lotto. So, despite being an atheist, why not have the slightest hope (faith) that their is a creator - God? Everyone will die... so what do you have to lose?

01/07/12 6:23 am

and go to a different religion, most commonly atheism. So either you accept it all, or you don't in which case it is more desirable to be truthful and switch to a different religion that you "like" instead of tainting Christianity with your teachings.

FIAT LUX!

01/07/12 6:23 am

Now, by pay less attention, what I'm saying is that it is still important, just God made that as a temporary rule prior to Jesus coming to earth in man's image and instating a permanent standard. And if you do discard part of it while claiming to be a Christian, eventually you will follow through…

01/07/12 6:23 am

@tabbser it is called understanding the intent behind them and having read the whole thing through at least once for yourself. Do you (at least in Christianity) discard any of it? No. Do you pay less attention because it has been superseded by newer scripture or can't be done in the present? Yes…

tabbser
01/06/12 7:42 pm

I'm curious to ask a question to any religious folks here. How do you know which bits of your sacred books to take literally and which bits to discard ? Sorry if this has already been answered and I missed it.

tabbser
01/06/12 7:39 pm

I'm atheist and don't buy lottery tickets because I know the odds of winning are less than being hit by lightening. I buy car insurance because people make mistakes and I've purchased raffle tickets, usually not hoping to win but to help out whatever cause it supports.

Maverick Problem Solver
01/05/12 9:25 pm

@alissa - it does, in fact, relate. Are you atheist or do you believe in a creator (God)?

alissa Florida
01/05/12 4:42 pm

@maverick what does that have to do with being atheist?

Maverick Problem Solver
01/05/12 3:34 pm

Question to anyone claiming to be atheist - Do you buy insurance, lotto tickets, or have purchased a raffle ticket?

01/04/12 5:57 am

@wilus yea, love the sinners like Jesus did, but just like him, we (I) don't side with them. And as for "Christians" burning non-Christians, last time I checked all of them had been ex-communicated from the church within days because the Bible says that that is NOT what Jesus would do.

FIAT LUX!

wilus Washington
01/03/12 7:25 pm

@hazhap1. You have clearly never encountered a religious person. I am catholic. I am tolerant. I go out of my way to learn other people's cultures. I, nor any other catholic, believes in burning non christians. We believe in unconditional love of all people, including non believers and even gays

meeeee Massachusetts
01/03/12 2:01 am

I get the feeling las vegas is why nevada is so red, lol.

01/03/12 1:18 am

No way. There is no god

jamjay Atlanta, Ga
01/02/12 8:18 pm

I thank my mom for making me a strong and good man - who grew up with religion for my compass.
Now, I only thank myself and my wife for keeping me and us on a good riotous path.

01/02/12 9:51 am

REALLY interested in talking about it more, can we just leave it alone for now before we keep flying at each other?

@KaraL If I am guilty of "being mean" please point out what I said, as I don't want to "be mean" about this.

FIAT LUX!

01/02/12 9:51 am

@nonono that "lol" was because I had to go back to bed in the middle of the day due to staying up all night prior.

@TZEN may I suffice to say that this is complex and neither of us (at least I am) are interested in fighting over the issue? Therefore, unless you are…

Moosey2 Texas
01/02/12 5:42 am

I'm a preacher's kid gone atheist. I only go to church if I happen to be visiting my dad on a Sunday morning.

kerfuffle
01/01/12 11:05 pm

@RCPriest, yes I am a deacon which is why it took so long to answer. Like you, weekends are my busy time.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
01/01/12 9:18 pm

So much for my happy place. AK, MT, VT still looking good though. Good to see there are still some Freethinkers left.

tabbser
01/01/12 5:31 pm

@gunfighter : Why do you think morals have anything to do with church ? We had morals long before we had churches.

Travelpro Washington
01/01/12 4:38 pm

Well no one in this forum is killing others or being killed. There is rarely good discussion on religion in SOH. All it is is people being rude and insulting each other...both sides of the issue to blame. Go back and read the posts and you will see it is for the most part just people being mean.

d2acc1 Ohio
01/01/12 4:03 pm

I go to a catholic school so I had to.

oriole Indiana
01/01/12 3:22 pm

Demecrats arent fond of church eh?

hazhap1 Las Vegas
01/01/12 2:41 pm

Probably because for thousands of years the believers have been killing everyone who isn't just like them, Karla...